Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 11-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #121
BGSP
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BG SP Astina
Good luck, I got joshed around when I had my AE92 SX, it took four engines for the place to get it right. All the best bud
Old 11-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #122
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Could someone pls photoshop this. Much appreciated Taken a long time to find a wheel to set the Merc off the way I want & use the near new tyres off the current ones

Here is a converted pic to better show the wheel:

Here is the wheel for photoshop use if it is better?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 11-05-2010 at 05:43 PM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #123
Evilist

Car: Mazda 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
Could someone pls photoshop this. Much appreciated Taken a long time to find a wheel to set the Merc off the way I want & use the near new tyres off the current ones

Here is a converted pic to better show the wheel:

Here is the wheel for photoshop use if it is better?

If you can find a pic of them on a car, with around the same angle as your merc, i'll do it for ya otherwise it will just look wrong

1985 Mazda 323 BF5P - FE3T powered
1988 Mazda Familia BFMP XG-I FE3 Powered
Evilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #124
Drakh

Car: Black Lantis BA 2.5L KLZE
Hey naughty

been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now- makes for interesting reading- even tho u are having a bit of a hard time with it.
I saw u said u were perhaps getting some parts from over here in NZ and I just remembered theres a merc wrecker just down the rd from me

If you really really really needed something I could go down and have a look round for ya...
Drakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #125
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilist View Post
If you can find a pic of them on a car, with around the same angle as your merc, i'll do it for ya otherwise it will just look wrong
thanks. this will be almost impossible. Will try & find one when I get home from work. Thanks for offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakh View Post
Hey naughty

been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now- makes for interesting reading- even tho u are having a bit of a hard time with it.
I saw u said u were perhaps getting some parts from over here in NZ and I just remembered theres a merc wrecker just down the rd from me

If you really really really needed something I could go down and have a look round for ya...
thanks Drakh. I am tied up with this spares guy concerning engine @ moment. He already has my money so unfortunately I'm not @ liberty to move too much with him. I have to sit it out for now. Most stuff I will prolly have to replace new concerning LPG, engine/turbo/exhaust set up.

Will definately remember the offer if something arises though. Younever know with this project. Thanks heaps

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 12-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #126
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B tuned by STi

Quick photoshop, not proud of it lol
Old 12-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #127
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
mate. quick question 4 u.... is the 450c merc with the v8 engine made from the same metal as ur block????

my mate just bought and restorded one and it has MACHANICAL fuel injection

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #128
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisdaniel View Post

Quick photoshop, not proud of it lol
thanks heaps daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
mate. quick question 4 u.... is the 450c merc with the v8 engine made from the same metal as ur block????

Mat. I'd have to ask on forums as I have no idea about the V8 engine composition. The early 6's had a special metallurgical process applied to the engine block cylinder linings so boring cylinders out is not advisable.

Early W124 model (83' - 91'?) Mercs had mechanical injection but also an ECU however, pretty basic. This is what made this model so reliable. No bull**** sensors I guess to play up although I think it has an 02 sensor?

Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #129
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:

Back in the 70's merc started using Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection which dispite the 'tronic' in the name, is based on a fuel pressure proportoning valve operated by the amount of incoming air, not electronics. The models suffixed in 'E' (I.E. 280E) have electronic lambda correction with an O2 sensor.
K-Jet works very well and normally were tuned to allow 80% power increase without tuning the fuel system, which is good because when they need tuning it's like black magic and it's better to hire a wizard than a mechanic.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #130
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude View Post
Back in the 70's merc started using Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection which dispite the 'tronic' in the name, is based on a fuel pressure proportoning valve operated by the amount of incoming air, not electronics. The models suffixed in 'E' (I.E. 280E) have electronic lambda correction with an O2 sensor.
K-Jet works very well and normally were tuned to allow 80% power increase without tuning the fuel system, which is good because when they need tuning it's like black magic and it's better to hire a wizard than a mechanic.
Spot n Cosmo Explained well. Mat. Similarly. The Porsche 924/944 also had mechanical injection from the 70's. Quite basic yet efficient for their time. Instead of MPFI leads etc, the injectors were connected to rubber leads. Just like spark plug leads. Again. This is why they were so reliable.

Here's a link with nit all explained concerning the Mercs. Injection was actually first used from the 60's Actually, other cars that used the K-Jetronic injection were Volvo, Audi, Saab, BMW, Ferrari, Rolls Royce Bentley, Lotus, Renault, Delorean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetronic

Here's a pics of the K-Jetronic set up Cosmo was referring to:

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...mpplatform.jpg

Here's a Ferrari with the K-jetronic injection. You can see how the steel tubing differs from the EFI wire leads. This is same for the Mercs:

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...10_460x0w2.jpg

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 12-05-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #131
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Yeah but one of the first Bosch system was D-Jetronic back in the Porsche 914s but most of those had the fuel injection replaced with DCOE Webers. Now we call it MAP and the sensors are reliable, full points for trying though.
For the young'ns back before the internet there were things called books and I've got some very good ones on fuel injection. Most EFI systems are based on either D-Jetronic, L-Jetronic or Motronic Bosch systems. I'd think that K-Jet died out with the VW Kombies and hasn't been used in twenty five years.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #132
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude View Post
Yeah but one of the first Bosch system was D-Jetronic back in the Porsche 914s but most of those had the fuel injection replaced with DCOE Webers. Now we call it MAP and the sensors are reliable, full points for trying though.
For the young'ns back before the internet there were things called books and I've got some very good ones on fuel injection. Most EFI systems are based on either D-Jetronic, L-Jetronic or Motronic Bosch systems. I'd think that K-Jet died out with the VW Kombies and hasn't been used in twenty five years.
the D-Jetronic (Analog fuel injection) was in the 60's Mercs as well Cosmo With Mercs K-Jet was called CIS "continuous injection system" I think I recall? Mid to late 300E's used the KE-Jetronic (Electronically-controlled mechanical fuel injection) with an ECU as with my model. Just to confuse the issue haha. The K-Jetronic first appeared in the Porsche 911

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 12-05-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #133
NaughtyGT

not looking good I don't think Mat?..........these engines are made quite out of the ordinary. Reminds me of the V8 BMW's that you can only run 98RON in them all they'll be eaten away Serious! That's why I reniged on buying one prior to the Merc. Look @ this very interesting & informative link below:

http://ozbenz.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5386

Old 13-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #134
NaughtyGT

Mat. After reading this link & searching google I think the Merc V8 engines were all special alloy construction. So, if your friends' is alloy then the bores are fashioned using 'nikasil' process.

This just confuses me as the steel 6 cylinder blocks as the one in my car also have a similar process

Bottom line is. Although these engines possibly can be rebuilt. They have to be done by an expert & not any old shop. Judging by the mess the previous owners mechanic/rebuilder made of the engine in mine. I wouldn't try it!

Old 13-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #135
NaughtyGT

as the sager unfolds......Abdul (Merc Spares yard) has found yet another motor. In a car. Will pully it Monday....more like later lol.....& has assured me (yet again) he WILL check this engines compression prior Here's hoping!

Mat I'll PM you this but here it is anyway if anyone else is interested? Concerning the different alloy composition of engines.

http://ozbenz.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5386

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 13-05-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 13-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #136
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
yay new engine

thanks 4 all the info too tim

ur the bomb.

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #137
NaughtyGT

Quote:
yay new engine

thanks 4 all the info too tim

ur the bomb.
pleasure Mat! I'm learning through it all so. All good

Turns out this over-eager to elp moderator of Aussie forum got it wrong concerning the straight 6 Merc engines While it is correct concerning the alloy V8's & later alloy engines. Mine is a normal cast iron block with no special process to cylinders. Just shows the importance of researching performance forums when asking performance questions He did however explain the danger in reboring blocks

Here is what he wrote

"Mercedes blocks re-machine Inline 6 DATSUN torque plates to work with the m103 and m104 engines. A torque plate is used to simulate the head bolted to block so the bores become perfectly straight. With out one the bores can taper up to .002"

Old 21-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #138
NaughtyGT

PROGRESS!!!!!!!!

Have today off (miracle lately for the slave hehe)

Spoke to Abdul (Merc spares). After waiting yet again for entire week with no return call or engine. Demanded he tell me whether or not he has an engine. NOW! He said he has a running car come in. Well. Better than an engine sitting in the yard out of some crapper 6 months ago! Demanded he do a compression test. NOW! Reminding him it will only be done by my mechanic soon as he gets it! He said OK! So, then he said he'll ring my @ lunchtime & let me know figures. I said you better as I'm wearing thin with the patience lesson

SO. Here's hoping on a star! A German star haha

If I can land an engine with good compression. At least the bores will be good to rebuild. I'm not settling for risk of buggered bores & have to buy new (expensive) pistons. Besides. Then I can use the forgies if they are standard bore size? At least an option.

Eve though my mechanic will do a comp' test himself. Still a chance that everything will be in better maintained condition & a good, solid platform to work from I also can get genuine parts heavily discounted from a Merc spares retailer that provides discount to forum members. Here in Aussieland. Canberra. Even found their actual website Forum

Here's hoping.....hoping......hoping

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 21-05-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 21-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #139
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
If you can't get a good engine, why can't you just sleeve it? That's not a huge cost up here compared to getting a re-bore done.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #140
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
If you can't get a good engine, why can't you just sleeve it? That's not a huge cost up here compared to getting a re-bore done.
Hey Gav

A rebores outta the question @ this stage due to cost of pistons. The rebore would need special adapter plate be machined up from another car with similar bore size like a Nissan, to ensure straight boring. Sleeving would also be a last resort.

You can get a tougher set of rings which wear better for these engines apparently. Not sure about here though.

Point is I paid $2k for an engine not to have to bore it out but to get away with honing so all I need is rings, bearings bla bla. The bottom ends on these engines are the best. It's the heads that are problematic. The water jackets are close to the oil galleries so the original head gaskets were prone to fail. Aftermarket Ruise? ones are better & will last for a good 200K if coolant system & oil changes are maintained properly Even special Merc coolant so parts don't wear. The engines actually do overheat due to clutch fan not engaging until 105C Obviously you just get a better fan set up etc.

I'm learning shat loads from the Merc Forums. I really felt like giving up this week & put car in garage indefinitely due to the expense & bullcrap! But then all the other parts of car will just get dry & bugger up eventually costing me too much

I know you can get late model Mercs. Really good ones for friggin cheap but this is a project & that's that I guess