Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 24-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #141
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out

Just got off phone to Merc Spares here in Melbourne. No go. Compression on 3rd engine was a pathetic 130 on all......so, will be dropping the 2 engines back to spares yard for a refund. Here I go again.

At least I'll have my money back from this horrid spares dealer. Never to contact him again!

Where I go from here who knows? I may even shelve the project indefinitely until I find a solid engine to use. May even look @ a possible upgrade?

Just need time out consider options

This has already been one hellova ride lol

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #142
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
what engine is it???? i might be able to sorce one here???? i know some one who has 2 mercs that are goin to the yard anyway.... if the engines are the same we can test them and see if there anygood

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #143
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
what engine is it???? i might be able to sorce one here???? i know some one who has 2 mercs that are goin to the yard anyway.... if the engines are the same we can test them and see if there anygood
Hey Mat. Unless it had really good compression figures on all pots (170+) & preferably had the head, water pump, timing gear done in recent years @ reputable shop with OEM parts. It would only be good for a rebuild which shouldn't be that hard to find.

Engine I need is a straight six. A 3.0L M103 12V to suit W124 300E model (83' - 95'). The M104 (24Valve) engine came out in about 90' & would do but I'd have to modify for different mounts & lines etc. The V6 is no go. Use a different trans.

Problem I had was I'd already payed +2k for the engine from Merc Spares. Not couple of hundred. Else I would be rebuilding now.

If it has good compression though & not the other gear recently done. Still would be OK for a rebuild. There was 1 up in QLD the other day with recent engine work but too far to organise @ the price they wanted.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 24-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #144
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
no worries i'll ask mate.

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #145
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
no worries i'll ask mate.
Legend

Old 24-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #146
BGSP
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BG SP Astina
Have you tried Euro spares, they're Australia wide, they generally have good stuff and they import if need be.
Old 24-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #147
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSP View Post
Have you tried Euro spares, they're Australia wide, they generally have good stuff and they import if need be.
Thanks BGSP! I did contact a lead given me by a IC parts rep when I was shopping @ Autobarn. Supposed to deal in Performance Merc engines etc. Never returned my call

I will try these guys you mention though. First I just need to get rid of this Merc guy who has mucked me around for months with these engines. Was just bad luck.

Thanks guys for your support. Really appreciated. I've just got to work this thing through best way I can

Old 25-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #148
BGSP
AstinaGT Regular

No worries man, glad I could help
Old 28-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #149
NaughtyGT

Returned crap engines to wrecking yard Wednesday. They will be refunding me $2100 via CC (hopefully in today?)

So. After frig around with wreckers (90mins away from me) since February. Frig around with 'all too busy for little ol' me' LPG workshop (some 40 mins away from me). Decided to do the custom work on Merc myself & employ workshop (12mins away) for all fabrication/turbo custom work. They also are a LPG performance workshop & do all manner of fabrication work.

I can't warrant the workshop expenses to customise an old car to the extent I have to. No matter how good condition & greatness bla bla. Although it will take forever & a day. This will afford me the time/money needed to do the thing properly & the first time a success! Even though I am way way over my head. STIFF haha!

So far as it stands

I can get a SOHC engine right now. Same as original for $950+ delivery via Sydney warehouse. DOHC for $1500+. However, from what I gather from Merc forum members the SOHC engine is stronger so the extra cost doesn't seem worth it @ this stage.

Also am considering dropping the single turbo set up & opting the more common twin TC set up.

This will allow me to ditch the exorbitant costing custom exhaust manifold I was going ahead with to make proper use of the single turbo set up.

Why this route?

The original exhaust manifold is in 2 sections. Twin triple pipes with their own downpipe housings that together join into 1 pipe underneath car. Very like the Jag straight sixes. Mercedes offered a Mossleman twin FI set up standard to fit these. Offered by dealerships to new car buyers in the 80's. Turbotechnics also offered a twin set up too. So there is info I can get my hands on on forums.

This way I do away with costly manifold & workshop labour etc & am able to muck around myself with it. Well over my head but I need to save labour costs & infuse this into the actual car modifications. Besides. I can pop up to Mornington (12 mins away) & have anything whatsoever (pipework, turbo stuff) fabricated as I need it.

Here's a pic of the manifold set up on a stock 3.0L:

Only horrid things I note in me doing this is fabricating/setting up all the gear such as the oil lines etc to join the 2 turboes together bla bla. I don't see the tuning being too badthough as it will be the same as with 1?

The inlet manifold on the other hand will be a doozy when fabricating it to suit the LPG Mixer.

I may purchase a donor car. Remove engine for rebuild & this way I have a whole car to use as a huge template. A twin if you will hehe. They come up cheap as on EBay all the time. This will make it easier for me to work on it by myself. Saving me money in the long run & giving me a car to sell stuff off & recoup some doe @ the end.

Just need the 323GT done & out of the garage so I can park it beside the project.

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 28-05-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 28-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #150
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
damn big changesahead! good luck with it all its been good to see how simple something can be and.how difficult people make it....
Old 28-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #151
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
damn big changesahead! good luck with it all its been good to see how simple something can be and.how difficult people make it....
Yeah. Exactly. Unbelievable balls up. Previous owner hadn't a clew what he was doing. Upside is it is a nice example of an old classic in great nick. Just alot of TLC needed now though.

Just thinking about the stock twin manifold set up from the pic (above posts). You would have to bring each turbo up & forward. There may be a little issue with the front one keeping it under the bonnet line enough to keep heat away. May have to line bonnet with heat proof material. Also. Tyhe exhaust no doubt will be a doozy to fit

Well. This is advice I've asked froma US member who has the TurboTechnics kit on his. Just gotta wait his reply. I'll put some pics up hopefully of the twin set up. May be very interesting?

Old 28-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #152
NaughtyGT

Well phluck me deady.....have found an engine from an importer. Still in car. 180psi each pot. 124k's on it That's almost as new for these!

If I give em the go-ahead. Will be ready to ship Wednesday! Has anyone heard of/dealt with these guys?

Parramatta Prestige in Sydney??????

Think I'll go with it. There is only 1 engine

This will mean I can use the engine AS IS......maybe the timing gear etc has recently been done? Comes complete with manifolds, pulleys. The lot!

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 28-05-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 28-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #153
NaughtyGT

Just bought it! Too good to gin around with it. Arriving Wednesday! Looks like I have the day off hehe

Now I can start to prepare stuff in my head for the build

Definitely be taking a pic soon as it arrives so I can scrap book it for future memory of when it all started to come together hehe

What I'm so rapped with is engine was still in 90 model pristine low klm car @ point of conversation (still is now) so compression readings are genuine.

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 28-05-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 28-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #154
RustyKaos

Car: 1998 BA 323 Astina Hardtop
Congratulations on the find. I hope it all goes well from now.

Come challenge me. I dare ya.
RustyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #155
-dc-

Car: BA Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
Well phluck me deady.....have found an engine from an importer. Still in car. 180psi each pot. 124k's on it That's almost as new for these!

If I give em the go-ahead. Will be ready to ship Wednesday! Has anyone heard of/dealt with these guys?

Parramatta Prestige in Sydney??????

Think I'll go with it. There is only 1 engine

This will mean I can use the engine AS IS......maybe the timing gear etc has recently been done? Comes complete with manifolds, pulleys. The lot!

Awesome, goodluck with this engine. ive never dealt with them as iv never owned a prestige euro but they are located only about 10 mins away from my place. Just near my mates workshop.

MORE PARTS FOR SALE!!! Have a look!!
CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT!!
-dc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #156
BGSP
AstinaGT Regular

Epic man, good luck. You've earned this one.
Old 29-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #157
NaughtyGT

Thanks guys. I really needed a break & now I can see the light @ the end of the tunnel so to speak.

I'm considering putting it all together. Getting LPG set up done & taming it to about 7psi tops. Just to have it together. Worry about the real power gains later down track. Least than the workshop stuff will all be done & car driveable

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 29-05-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 29-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #158
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
7psi? Another reason for 2 small Garret BB turbos.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #159
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
7psi? Another reason for 2 small Garret BB turbos.

It's a standard engine Gav 7psi is poof. Yes. But it will guarantee I get home from Maccas Bottom end might handle 650HP but the poor head gasket will be hard pressed to get to 400 without letting the oil mix with the coolant hehe. When I want 400kw (hehe) then I'll use the $1500 worth of forgies I've kept Gee I miss the lil' GT wheelspin & torque steer

For now though. I just want the LPG/turbo set up done. Can always remove/replace later once all the fabrication is done

Old 31-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #160
NaughtyGT

For anyone who may be interested. Here's some pics from a US members car (basically identical to mine) that has the TurboTechnics twin turbo kit installed a few years ago:

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 31-05-2010 at 07:36 AM.