Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 19-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #21
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Bla Blar Blar.
leave him be he's a good egg hee hee

ow and ryan... i'd just leave it hey... if it looks the part then leave it... fix the rust like ryan said but do the best u can with the body...

it looks really good now anyway..

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #22
Ben

Car: MPS
I'd leave it, no one will know apart from you (and the rest of this forum *shifty eyes* )

It's looking great anyways! I still see you have your P plate sticked taped from the cruise :P
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #23
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Quote:
Laws are different between states Tim, you might want to check your facts first.
referring to "blah blah", that wasn't called for Dan. What are the facts I need to check I've found laws are not that different between states really. Just a few mods not allowed in some but are in others. I was not having a go @ any member in particular @ all. Just wanting members to get the facts with such an ambiguous topic.

It still stands that you do not need an emissions test if replacement engine is a factory turbo engine & ECU & all sensors are kept with original engine & all necessary sensors & ECU feeds are retained in original vehicle harness &/or the ADR standard for replacement engine is more current than the vehicle you are installing it in. Not the other way around, which another member here informed me......

Anyway, if that's blah blah, than good

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #24
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
referring to "blah blah", that wasn't called for Dan. What are the facts I need to check I've found laws are not that different between states really. Just a few mods not allowed in some but are in others. I was not having a go @ any member in particular @ all. Just wanting members to get the facts with such an ambiguous topic.

It still stands that you do not need an emissions test if replacement engine is a factory turbo engine & ECU & all sensors are kept with original engine & all necessary sensors & ECU feeds are retained in original vehicle harness &/or the ADR standard for replacement engine is more current than the vehicle you are installing it in. Not the other way around, which another member here informed me......

Anyway, if that's blah blah, than good
Sorry if the 'blah blah blah come off as rude, i just didn't see any point in quoting it all. As someone who has personally investigating emissions testing in Vic, i know it's different in Vic compared to NSW and QLD specifically. So a lot of what you said itsn't relevant to his situation, that's all.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Sorry if the 'blah blah blah come off as rude, i just didn't see any point in quoting it all. As someone who has personally investigating emissions testing in Vic, i know it's different in Vic compared to NSW and QLD specifically. So a lot of what you said itsn't relevant to his situation, that's all.
Fair enough. But you know I go overboard with info Dan I been so badly mucked around with my project, as you well know, so I tend to use the overboard approach with info. My bad!

Btw, all best with project OP

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 19-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #26
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
It'll be an Older engine going in. What if I rebuild the current one and add turbo from gtx/r and use its loom/ sensors???
Old 19-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #27
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
That should work... I've seen it done before.. I have a bg loom what was used on a FTC motor running a t28 turbo... If u would like it I could sell it to u cheap

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #28
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
I think instead of bickering at each other, why not acknowledge the work thats gone into this project already, in just a matter of days!

Well done ryan, cant wait to see this up and running
Old 19-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #29
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
It'll be an Older engine going in. What if I rebuild the current one and add turbo from gtx/r and use its loom/ sensors???
It will be more difficult to get OK'd if you use an older engine, unless it is same CC capacity & not older ADR emissions standard. If you decide to rebuild the current engine, @ least it will be favoured by authorities In the end, as far as engineering/authorities are concerned, as long as you can satisfy emissions, it will be acceptable. Otherwise, if it's registered, who's going to know? All depends on how it sits with you & peace of mind.....

Old 19-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
Clean_Cookie

I want it 100% legal, minus the hids. Others will be driving it occasionally and couldn't have them booked for an illegal car... Waiting on a response Bout the ms seats, as they are legally installed in some rx7s with mod plates, even though they are missing the a tick, for obvious reasons. Also for insurance reasons. Once painted and beaten will be comprehensively insured for agreed value. May cost 1000 a year but that's ok.
Clean_Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #31
Clean_Cookie

Ok, still struggling with the clutch system its leaking down the pedal and a small leak in one of the joins, can you just replace the screw connector or is it likely the bell end is also stuffed? A master cylinder is what I need to fix the pedal leak hey... The clutch will be the end of me! At least its relatively cheap...
Old 22-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #32
Clean_Cookie

well picked up new spark plugs, some more brake fluid, the correct master cyclinder, bosh o2 sensor and a 4guage wiring kit which was onsale for 1/2 price for $230 which was quite reasonable i thought. managed to fit the master cyclinder and 2 hours later have all the leaks fixed...i hope! chewed through another 500ml of dot 4 cause it just kept getting air bubbles, given up after an hour of messing around! oh btw dont get brakefluid on lightswitches. it makes them another colour oops!

so that was my fun filled arvo i guess. now hopefully with some new fuel and a IAC and MAF sensor clean, new plugs and o2 sensor, should work a treat. also bought a new fuel filter once this old horrible stuff is gone! thinking of just stealing my plates and driving it around to burn it off, but knowing my luck id get caught!!!

still need to buy some sanding blocks and a bench grinder before tackling the body repairs. the good news is that it used to leak and now it doesnt! YAY. tomorrow will be removing the rest of the interior and removing old alarm wiring and possibly removing more rust/dents from the roof and bonnet. then ill find out how good I am at painting hehehe.

Last edited by Clean_Cookie; 22-08-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Clean_Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #33
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
I want it 100% legal, minus the hids. Others will be driving it occasionally and couldn't have them booked for an illegal car... Waiting on a response Bout the ms seats, as they are legally installed in some rx7s with mod plates, even though they are missing the a tick, for obvious reasons. Also for insurance reasons. Once painted and beaten will be comprehensively insured for agreed value. May cost 1000 a year but that's ok.
Hey Ryan, did you end up finding an answer about the seats & legalities?
Old 22-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #34
Clean_Cookie

not yet. been just trying to get a moveable car so far!
Old 26-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #35
Clean_Cookie

Ok, some more progress and a few more questions. Went to the wreckers again today adnd found a perfect front indicators and a perfect afm to intake manifold pipe from a p2. Problem is that there are slight differences meaning I now have a huge hole where the p3 version is plugged when moulded... Why so many changes lol. I'll have to make something which looks stock for it I guess
did a little body filling and sanding on the front bumper, hopefully it'll look a tad better once resprayed. I tried to use 3m plastic primer and it just ran straight off! Never used it on painted surfaces but I sanded and used wax and grease remover .. Will try again tomorrow. Scored two 6m twisted and shielded RCA leads from this wreck too. All up coat $44. Considering one new one was that... Also bought another $300 worth of tools.
Old 26-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #36
Clean_Cookie

Oh replaced spark plugs and master cylinder too. Runs awesome. glad mechanicals are out of the way. Question. My strut tops are cracked, I assume that's a fail for wrc... Want to use ryans old setup but unsure if that's worse idea.
Old 26-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #37
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
cracked strut isolators are and big fail in rwc world.

using coilovers is 50/50, will depend on mech doing the rwc. some will pass coilovers as they know they a healthy and safer than worn old bouncy shocks, others will require you do mod them so they cannot be lowered enough to make the car have less than 100mm clearance.

you know what would be a win for this project?

roll cage!
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #38
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
It's not legal or safe, but you could coat the valley of the strut tops with a black silicone to make them look new and full the cracks. It might last well enough to get you past a RWC.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #39
Clean_Cookie

Maybe a rwc but not a full 24hr inspection by the dot...
Old 29-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #40
Clean_Cookie

so. todays task (after paying for that bloody fine...) was to get the wiring sorted for the hatch. for those un-aware like I was, mazda changed the design and took some shortcuts in the series 3 (like using smaller conductors and connectors...)

so all the wires matched up, i had an extra wire though as they wired series 3 up with 2 seperate revese light feeds... dunno why but they did! so with a little solder, heatshrink and black tape i now have a factory looking finish with a s3 connector

tested everything out and thankfully everything works.

to do: strut tops (or use coilovers...still unsure.), fix minimal rust in spare wheel space, replace drivers side seatbelt as i noticed it was a little too loose (did not retract on its own at the end- wil open it up and see if it just needs a little TLC), new steering wheel when rupe ships the bloody big parcel! , and of course the stuffing around with the rear damage.

oh and clean up and reseal the cv joints...apart from that, mechanically it works awesome.... would easily get away with driving it around now! yay.

oh also replaced the cracked front indicators and ordered clear side ones from Thailand - whether they arrive is yet to be seen...