Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 20-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Duke

Car: Toyota cressida mx73
BA v6 hatch, Help needed/appreciated!

Hey guys,

Im new, but been looking around for an astina for a bit now, i test drove a couple, some i really wasnt impressed with. But tonight i left a deposit and decided id bite the bullet and buy up.

I settled for a 94' BA v6 manual hatch.
Red + black interior.

It has low k's which im pretty happy about, and the body is presentable.

It was difficult to find v6 manuals in sydney! especially ones that were worth looking at! But i feel i made the right decision.

I should be picking it up this week or next so some pics to come shortly.

Last edited by Duke; 23-08-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 21-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Sounds sweet. Congrats & welcome!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Welcome to the team.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Duke

Picking her up tomorrow night
Old 25-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Duke

Have had her for a few days now. Good car really

Paint on the car was average, fadish and stuff (red + 94 = bad paint) Me and a mate cut and buffed the roof and bonnet so far, and have turned out 100% better. I kind of wish i took before and after photo's but naw well..

Anyways, the drivers lock seems to be jammed, and the immobiliser is all weird on the car, so im going to take it to a repeller place here in hornsby (thats the alarm it has) to get it sussed out.

It also has an oil leak which i didnt notice when i looked at it (do we ever notice these things??) so tomorrow im probably going to take it up on my mates hoist and have a good look under the car, hoping its not something like the crank seal, but if it is, spose ill just dish out for it to get fixed.

At this stage i just want the car clean and reliable and fresh, so mods will come shortly after.

In the early stages i plan to get a set of springs till i hold out for full coil over setup (suggestions on springs which will give it a nice height and road feel? preferably not kings...) and a catback or axle back for a little tone (fujitsubo? where i get? how much? :P) and probably a bit of induction to breath and get a throaty note out of her too.

On the cards is a new steering wheel, as my current one has been weather damaged and feels yuck, but seeing as this has an airbag im a bit stumped on how to tackle this...

I should get some pics up when the weather isnt so ****ty.
Old 25-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
jono165

Car: mazda
They are a good car, i love my ba they are a bit different to everything else of the same era and red always polishes up nicely

The oil leak is probably either the valve cover gaskets or the dizzy o-ring seal both very common places for these Mazda to leak from. i have a 97 BA 1.8 which leaked from the valve cover when i got it and my old BG had the valve cover done twice in the time i owned it. easyish job if you want to do it yourself just a bit trickier on the v6 if its the rear valve cover gasket. the oil often runs down the black and drips off the sump.

I believe a steering wheel off later 323's also fits ie BJ SP20 which also has an airbag and is a nicer wheel.
jono165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
i brought a new wheel for mine off mazda for $160. oem replacement for airbag wheel.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Duke

Cheers bud, the previous owner actually did the cam seal covers, spark plugs and leads before i bought the car, so im sure its not those but im havnt been able to have a good look yet with all this average weather.

Dizzy could be a possibility.
Old 26-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Duke

Okay had a good looksy at the car today, leak IS the cam seals. Dodgy bastard i baught it off was a liar :P

The cam seal is leaking pretty bad, and would also explain my tappet noise (low oil)
Going to book the car in tomorrow and get her done asap, with least amount of driving possible.

Also here is a random crappy pic for good measure

Last edited by Duke; 26-04-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 26-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
maztech

Car: ......
Be careful have a good look around the timing cover area there is 2 small plugs about the size of 10 cent pieces that leak oil

Last edited by maztech; 26-04-2011 at 06:33 PM.
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
Duke

Im going to get my uncle to fix anything that needs doing, hes my mechanic, so i trust him with it not to raught me.

I would do it myself, but after recently doing a timing belt, and arangement of other things on my last car, totally CBF.
Old 26-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
The problem with oil leaks is that it takes time for the oil to run down the side of the block. Once the seal is replaced it's still gonna drip for a while unless you clean the engine.
Tappet noise is likely due to age not oil level, unless the oil level is realy low.

BTW, my HLAs haven't make a tick since I pulled 'em out and soaked them in solvent for a week.
Old 26-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
Duke

I think the oil really is that low unfortunately, im going to buy some to top up till the seals are sorted. I can see the leak from the cam gear seal, and i can trace the leak, so im 99% sure thats my problem straight up!

Last edited by Duke; 26-04-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 26-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
My opinion, since your changing the cam seals, might as well change the timing belt, cam seal, crank seals, water pump and i think 2 other belts (think a/c and alternater ?)

At least that way you dont have to touch that area for a very long time, i know it cost for parts, but the labour just getting there cost more so might as well do it the first time.
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #15
maztech

Car: ......
Just saying make sure you check all on the front of the motor seen plenty of seals replaced and once you reseal the cam caps and plugs it is all fixed . Might not look like it is leaking and the oil pools further down makin it look like somewhere else.
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #16
Duke

The car dosnt need all that jazz, just the top valve/cam covers, haha, there isnt any point to doing everything, its only got 150,000 on it and the belt has already been done once.
Old 26-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
The car dosnt need all that jazz, just the top valve/cam covers, haha, there isnt any point to doing everything, its only got 150,000 on it and the belt has already been done once.

You mean the rocker cover gaskets ?
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #18
Duke

yesss, but i can see a leak from the cam seal of the cam aswell.
Haha, i wish i had a decent cam, could show the leak, but not worth it at the mo with the equiptment i have.
Old 26-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #19
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Unlike the I4 you don't have to remove the valve cover/s to change the timing belt with the KF, you do need to remove the IM to replace the valve cover seals which makes it a PITA
Old 27-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #20
Duke

Yeah looking at the motor i sussed that out.
This is a pic of the leak in question.
The cam seal if im not mistaken...

I spoke to my uncle and he suggested it might as well be doing the timing belt etc, and that it would be a bitch too, but i told him to have a look in the flesh tomorrow arvo, and decide from then.