Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Introduce yourself

Old 17-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Benny

Car: Yellow 2001 SP20
New 2001 BJII SP20 owner

Hey all,
I've recently bought an SP20 and I'm IN LOVE with it and, surprisingly, so is the wife! I've had SS Commodores, XR6 Fords, etc that were "just a car" to her but she LOVES the SP and wants to drive it all the time!!

We're from the Mornington Peninsula in VIC and have a couple of little ones.

I'm just wondering what sort of wheels I can put on the yellow rocket..... I'm thinking of lowering the front, if not the front and rear. I'm wondering about size (17's??) and if there are any wheels from other manufacturers that fit without any scrubbing.... or even if anyone has lowering suspension/wheels laying around that they'd be willing to part with?

Cheers guys
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 17-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Welcome to AGT

17x8 is doable, around 17x8 +40 is ideal for an SP20 with a bit of lowering and careful tyre choice.

Anything narrower is easy. There should be a few threads here relating to fitment for the BJ here.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
Jazzy

Car: BJII SP20 Astina 5spd
Benny, you have a PM.
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
!! Welcome To AstinaGT !!

To be honest there's a lot of wheel choices you can put but the one I found that suits the car and not making it look to crazy for attention in 17" are the Mazda6 wheels.
They blend in nicely and that's what I have on my car, lowered and no guard roll and doesn't scrub at all in mine. I haven't got a photo on mine (silver colour) but heres one a white SP20 and lowered (sorry can't find a yellow one with them)

Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
Benny

OK guys,
Long story short, I want my car to look like the yellow SP20 that o.g.sk8er has posted...... I'm assuming that's a fair bit away from a standard, run of the mill SP20 though.... Just the way it sits and the wheels are perfection for me.... Help? ������
Old 18-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
bjk
AstinaGT Regular

Car: SE20 Protege; 6A13tt FTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
OK guys,
Long story short, I want my car to look like the yellow SP20 that o.g.sk8er has posted...... I'm assuming that's a fair bit away from a standard, run of the mill SP20 though.... Just the way it sits and the wheels are perfection for me.... Help? ������
How deep are your pockets is the question. I just fit some 17x8 +38 wheels and they are only just under the guards. Imo it's silly to run the amount of camber you'd need to fit 0 offset wheels.

Then you have to factor in the cost of new suspension (if you want it to be as low) & work rolling/pumping the guards so they don't chew up your tyres. All doable but you have to find the compromise between appearance and practicality.
bjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Jazzy

And let's not forget, the car will be illegal everywhere in Australia. And uninsurable. Impractical as a daily driver. Uncomfortable. Etc. Etc. Etc.

o.g.sk8er is in the US. Different laws there. And they are not normal people over there! They drive on the wrong side of the roads FFS!!
Old 19-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
Benny

Hahahahaha...... Well..... They're the 2 answers I was expecting but wasn't wanting!!

What about lowering...... How low can I (legally) go? Any advice on shock/springs would be appreciated
Old 19-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
Hey mate, welcome to AGT!!

Its a funny thing when people jump in to a SP, they all fall in love.

If you really want to make it fun, up grading the suspension its the biggest and best mod you can to to these chassis, apart from chucking a turbo on them haha.

But wheels your in luck, have the same 5x114.3 stud pattern an most Japanese cars, it gives a nice big option of wheel sizes and choices,

The biggest issue is the guards are not very wide for low offset wheels,

Idealy 17x8 +40 is a about a perfect size for these cars, with a 205 40 r17 or 215 40 r17 tyre.

I had mitsubishi evo8 wheels on my car, 17x8 +38, they were super flush fitting and looked agressive, and i was quite low as well, but guards were rolled and i had fairly stiff coilovers.

Make a build thread and we can talk and discuss more on there, that way you will be able to keep track of everything

Again welcome

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
bjk
AstinaGT Regular

I was wondering about suspension too, actually. I know a lot of the old favorites aren't really around any longer.
Old 22-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjk View Post
I was wondering about suspension too, actually. I know a lot of the old favorites aren't really around any longer.
The mazdaspeed protege swaybars are a good upgrade, braces plus good shocks and springs, I have a custom set of konis in mine with those msp swaybars, a good deal of bracing and what a difference it makes.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
bjk
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM323 View Post
The mazdaspeed protege swaybars are a good upgrade, braces plus good shocks and springs, I have a custom set of konis in mine with those msp swaybars, a good deal of bracing and what a difference it makes.
Yeah, mostly the shocks/springs for down the line when they need replacing. What did the konis set you back? I did some quick searching around, but replacing all the components does add up and makes coilovers seem tempting, although I'd be inclined to opt for a more comfortable spring rate since it's my DD.

I know there's been discussion re: BC vs Yellowspeed and the like. I have BR Golds in my FTO and they're alright but definitely not comfortable strictly speaking.
Old 22-03-2018, 11:14 PM   #13
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
Billy, i swapped in a set of BC Golds in to mine 5 days before blowing it up haha, i got custom heavier springs put in, but i’m sure if you went with the standard 6-4 or 6-5 they would be right up there in the comfort / improved handling. You always have the ability to change the dampening settings for you chiloice of driving mood haha,

But 100% would go coilovers over atandard shock/spring set up.

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #14
Rupewrecht
Administrator

if you want to retain comfort, go springs. if you want to go low, go coilovers. Simple as that.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com

Old 24-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #15
Jazzy

I've got a compromise. Eibach springs and KYB shocks. About 35mm lower and it's a great ride and the handling is very, very impressive. Perfect for a DD/street car. AND it's fully legal!

https://www.awside.com/products/eiba...-protege-99-03
Old 24-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #16
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
Quote:
Yeah, mostly the shocks/springs for down the line when they need replacing. What did the konis set you back? I did some quick searching around, but replacing all the components does add up and makes coilovers seem tempting, although I'd be inclined to opt for a more comfortable spring rate since it's my DD.

I know there's been discussion re: BC vs Yellowspeed and the like. I have BR Golds in my FTO and they're alright but definitely not comfortable strictly speaking.
Can't remember cost of the kinis but they were a custom build from a member on here when he was in the suspension industry, I believe that only 2 or 3 sets were done.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #17
bjk
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIGHIE View Post
Billy, i swapped in a set of BC Golds in to mine 5 days before blowing it up haha, i got custom heavier springs put in, but i’m sure if you went with the standard 6-4 or 6-5 they would be right up there in the comfort / improved handling. You always have the ability to change the dampening settings for you chiloice of driving mood haha,

But 100% would go coilovers over atandard shock/spring set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
if you want to retain comfort, go springs. if you want to go low, go coilovers. Simple as that.
You could make a coilover as comfortable as a spring/shock combo if you really wanted, but it would certainly require revalving. I think BC can do that free of charge? Or that might just be custom rates. Even lowering the 2kg or whatever it is that you can do before revalving would probably be adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
I've got a compromise. Eibach springs and KYB shocks. About 35mm lower and it's a great ride and the handling is very, very impressive. Perfect for a DD/street car. AND it's fully legal!

https://www.awside.com/products/eiba...-protege-99-03
Out of stock D: I'm not sure if being "special order" means they're still available or not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM323 View Post
Can't remember cost of the kinis but they were a custom build from a member on here when he was in the suspension industry, I believe that only 2 or 3 sets were done.
Ahh, right. Custom things probably a bit over budget haha
Old 25-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #18
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Quote:
You could make a coilover as comfortable as a spring/shock combo if you really wanted, but it would certainly require revalving. I think BC can do that free of charge? Or that might just be custom rates. Even lowering the 2kg or whatever it is that you can do before revalving would probably be adequate.
Not true. Well, not true if they have solid tops. Rubber tops give compliance that solid ones just cannot.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com

Old 25-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #19
bjk
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Not true. Well, not true if they have solid tops. Rubber tops give compliance that solid ones just cannot.
Aye. I guess it really depends how much you want camber-tops on the front as they seem to be exclusively pillow-ball.

Is there any much camber adjustment with the stock setup for the BJ?
Old 26-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #20
HMT

Car: '94 Astina hatch, '93 Astina, '94 NA8C Roadster, '96 MX-3 V6, '00 Astina 1.8
The stock top mounts allow for some camber adjustment. And D2 used to offer their street suspension with the pillow ball set in a rubber bushing to mare for a smoother ride.