Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Technology + Gaming

Old 27-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
smurfy

Car: sp20
phone decisions.

so my good old nokia n8 is slowly starting to die on me. so surely its time to get a new onee..

yet im not a tech head, but love my phones to death and have narrowed my search down to 3..

i had my heart set on getting an nokia n9 till i was playing around with my mates one last night. to unlock it was like an iphone had to slide it across, but if it wasnt from exactly one side to the other it doesnt work so i thought that was crapp.

so unsure about that one now.

the other 2 i was thinking about the samsung galaxy2 and htc sensation, never used either one. but have heard awesome things about it.

i need something that isnt gonna break easy, i drop everything soo much.

if anyone has one of these phones or knows/heard good or bad things about them please tell me

or if you have any other suggestions if all ears (cept iphones )

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 27-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B tuned by STi
Haha I was against iPhones for a while too Then I realised after having my phone for 2 years that the equivalent iPhone back then was still being sold today (3GS) and updated while my other phone was pretty much useless. So I went and bought a 4S when the came out

I wouldn't drop the iPhone though, but I've heard the galaxy S2 is pretty resilient to being dropped
Old 27-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
Galaxy S2. I got one about a month ago. My partner has the 4S. She WISHES that she got the Galaxy S2. Its a fantastic phone. Siri is probably the only advantage apple has with the iPhone.

S2 has a FANTASTIC camera. Upclose pictures are fantastic. The phone is super quick. Internet browsing is easy as 1, 2, 3.

Though don't make your decision based on my opinion though do your re-seach and look at the phones being reviewed on youtube. 6/10 reviews prefer the S2.

Also check out the drop test between the phones. WOW! It's a good watch even if you don't want a new phone.
Old 27-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
i have the 3gs and have dropped it many times with no problems due to having an otter box cover with the screen taken out and a stick on screen protector
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
I'm a HTC man. Hate the Apple mantra of making everything incompatible or hard to use with pc's. The Samsung screens appear very blue, like the colour representation isn't quite right or something... Bit solid hardware, just feels cheap.
Old 27-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
smurfy

Car: sp20
i love my nokias cause thats what ive grown up with ahah
ive heard that the 3gs screen dont break as easy as the other ones but yet stilll break plus when the screens break it stuffs up the reception.
im starting to lean towards the galaxy but its quite i big phone probably would be the size of my hand.. no joke ahaha

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
I love my iphone to bits wouldnt replace it for the world *shrug*. If I didnt get the 4S i would have gotten the galaxy S2

I dont think there better or worse then iphone just think its a personal thing
Old 28-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
I have just upgraded my 10mth old HTC Desire HD (for sale $350) to one of the new HTC Sensation XE with the beats heatphones.
It is an awesome phone and the sound quality of the headphones makes other phones look sad.
Its an awesome idea of HTC to buy Beats Audio.
The screen quality is awesome and the camera is every fast and takes great pics.
It has a 1080P video camera with stereo mics and a front mounted camera for video calls.
Im not an apple fan as im sick of all the crapple customers coming in whining at work and im over dealing with everyones itunes BS.
Apple used to make great products, now not so.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Duke

Car: Toyota cressida mx73
Anyone who is a fan of htc must have a screw loose.
Most unstable unreliable hardware/software Os of all time.

S2 is good, feels cheap though
iPhone is good, feels good to hold, probably the easiest and most supported device in the market.

It's all personal preference though.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Clean_Cookie

Clearly you've not played with them enough. I've had 3, the hd2 which out of the box WAS rubbish, but a few hours later I had a triple bootable stable fast and reliable. If you want a phone you don't want to touch, buy an android based HTC, best UI of any manufacturer, IMHO.
Old 28-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Duke

Car: Toyota cressida mx73
I found 2 devices and 2 years was enough to label them crap
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
phildough
Banned

Funny, I have had 3 HTC phones, and no drama, but my friends with iphone have all had to have them fixed.
Different people have different experiences.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
HTC Evo 3d. Its just freaking awesome. The 3d camera is great, I thought I'd never use it but I do all the time. Works brilliantly at festivals
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I went into the Tel$tra shop determined to get the Galaxy SII, and then I noticed the Sensation sitting beside it. After playing with both of them, I left the shop with the Sensation. You really need to handle both phones before making a decision, though. To me the only disappointing thing about the sensation is the mic/speaker quality. Other than that, every other aspect of the phone is very high quality.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
Clean_Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoAust View Post
HTC Evo 3d. Its just freaking awesome. The 3d camera is great, I thought I'd never use it but I do all the time. Works brilliantly at festivals
You watch many movies on it? Loved avatar and troy. The old imax movies are awesome too.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
phildough
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
I went into the Tel$tra shop determined to get the Galaxy SII, and then I noticed the Sensation sitting beside it. After playing with both of them, I left the shop with the Sensation. You really need to handle both phones before making a decision, though. To me the only disappointing thing about the sensation is the mic/speaker quality. Other than that, every other aspect of the phone is very high quality.
I agree, I have the sensation XE which is the sensation overclocked to 1.5 GHz and the beats audio.
Im not impressed with the mic quality either.
The headphones are awesome however.
Old 28-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Isn't microphone and speaker kinda what a phone is all about? Without them you've got a tiny tablet.
Old 28-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
phildough
Banned

The mic is good, but when recording video its a little sensitive and can distort easily if the sound level is too loud.
Old 28-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
i have had a iphone since the 1st one came out. there was a breif period where i swaped for a samsung, cus it had a better camera.. but then i got a camera, and a iphone (which also has a pretty good camera. for me, i dont see my self getting anything else for a while. yeah people have problems with it, but it comes down to individuals. i have hed little hickups here and there but i always knew what to do to fix them. love it, used to it, dont want to change it.
want to record your car sensor data? there is a app for that
Old 28-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
Clean_Cookie

i lolled when i saw your name tony and thought, here we go, apple fanboy haha

yeah theres some awesome apps available now, have you seen the lakeside/QR one, where it uses a whole lot of data and gps to tell you where you were going, lap times, g forces through certain corners etc. i think its like $50 though!