Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 29-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Astini6

Car: Saab 9-3 V6 Turbo
Astini6 1997 BA Hatch V6

So here is the car I picked up last week, pretty happy to get into one of these as I had one a few years back, a white V6 manual and I really liked the way it drove. It had ****loads of problems which eventually led to its demise, but hopefully with Tina here (and me being a little more wiser), the relationship will be long term!

1997 with 93xxx and had two previous lady owners. The records show owner and service history with the original books, all done as required.

Tina is metallic blue, at first I wanted white like my first one, but now really like the blue colour and it contrasts with the rims nicely.

Looks pretty clean under here, After warm up it settles down very nice and smooth. I reckon it needs a good hard thrashing, so far the auto box has appreciated the treatment!

Interior is in top order. I had a damn good look and it is near un-blemished. The velour on the inserts is still perfect even on the drivers seat. Pitty this one is the P2? and has lost the funky door grab handles and storage box - may need a retro fit! She has a few options too that are kinda okay, after market cruise and reversing sensor with those little things in the rear bumper and a panel just over the rear view mirror that screams like a scalded cat! Nice.

However, as with most old stuff, things are not all they seem... Things to do:
  • Two tiny trim plastic thingos that cover the mudflap bolts picked up from wreckers (I know it sounds mad but they are the only things missing);
  • Steering rack is toast, am pricing up a re-con one now;
  • Power steering pump leaking, am going to get in there today and top it up, then wipe it down and check in a few days where the leak is coming from, may fix with rack job;
  • Shocks are gone, pricing up Konis and maybe some Teins with 20mm rear swaybar;
  • Paint... It may look fine in the pics but closer inspection shows issues all over.
Yunno... so much for service history aye! I mean the rack could have gone within the last 10k but it confirms what always thought, the service is basially an oil change and a quick look over - no care much The paint is a cost I did not necessarily want atm, but really do not think this car is going anywhere and it does need it. It'll cost more than the car itself but guess it is done then. I didn't want the suspension mods this early either, but now is the time to drop it a little on aftermarket shocks/springs and get the handling optimised as well. Rack and pump are getting done asap to ensure all runs as it should.
So there we are, wallet will be battered a little but I'm happy to be back in one of these terriffic little cars. Reckon they are unique and offer something different. Long term plans will be manual conversion, LSD and KLDE but this will be perfect for mum to use while it gets tricked up over the years.
Thanks for taking a look and I hope to meet some local Brissy lads in time.

Last edited by Astini6; 29-03-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Astini6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Again Welcome To AstinaGT

Nice pick-up ! Car looks good in photos, i know you said close inspection paint is not great basically but still looks nice and especially with the low km's
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
Astini6

Car: Saab 9-3 V6 Turbo
Hey Noble323 thanks mate. Yeah you are right but I want to keep this in the family for a while (as they all do at the start!) and mum will be using it, so down the re-spray path we go...
Got some time with the car today and some performance tips for the kids out there - remove soil from factory Mazda planters = 1kg weight saving per side...

Haha I was suprised at how much was in there! So kept on and unbolted the lower guard enough to sweep out, then wash, clean again with rag and meth, then WD40 the bolts. Good to clean as the sprayers certainly ain't gonna care.
Got the inner guards/undertray off as work will be happening around there. I could not get to the PS pump, but someone here said that alot of the time the fittings to the pump are the cause for leaking...what you guys reckon? PS reserviour is full and the undertray has no puddles...
Astini6 is offline   Reply With Quote