Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 25-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #41
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
save your pennies or get a loan and get one. best mod ever.
Nah its alright :P
I'll see how this "big-bore" n/a sohc job goes like.
although its not really big bore, im just saying that because the over size number 2 rings are only .5mm by haynes reference, im going the full 1mm and from calculations SHOULD gain about 40-46cc from it.

bringing it to a bore x stroke of 84 x 85

we will see what I can manage in my own garage, though the block and head will obviously get sent off to a shop for cleaning, boring honing etc. ill just get a shop to do the head, its quicker than I will manage on my own, and will be decked either 20 or 40 thou (for perfect mating, and for a tiny bit more comp.)
home special port and polish job, best I can do without a flowbench, I need a new cam anyway, so might as well go SLIGHTLY more agressive, not much though.

plus I think actually having a GOOD amount of compression in each cylinder is going to help the performance alot.
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #42
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

progress report: upholstery

The fabric I chose is actually applying really well to the plastic trim using only kwikgrip. looks really schmick! not bad for a 60 dollar job.
Old 27-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #43
karamello

Car: Mazda 323 Astina BG
Send a message via MSN to karamello
can i ask why you are spending money on your engine?
i really cant see why you would put money into one that isnt going to be anywhere near as good as a dohc/turbo
karamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #44
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
gotta work with what you have 'Mello

i just thought of something...i dont even know if mine is a SOHC or DOHC...i should find out...

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #45
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoru View Post
gotta work with what you have 'Mello

i just thought of something...i dont even know if mine is a SOHC or DOHC...i should find out...
Ghoru, that IS sad you are kidding right?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #46
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
well i thought it was a dohc but i never really took any notice till the other day as i only just started worrying about it being my project, anyway the other day i didnt see 2 cams, but i dont know my way around an engine bay aswell as some so...

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #47
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Nah its alright :P
I'll see how this "big-bore" n/a sohc job goes like.
although its not really big bore, im just saying that because the over size number 2 rings are only .5mm by haynes reference, im going the full 1mm and from calculations SHOULD gain about 40-46cc from it.

bringing it to a bore x stroke of 84 x 85

we will see what I can manage in my own garage, though the block and head will obviously get sent off to a shop for cleaning, boring honing etc. ill just get a shop to do the head, its quicker than I will manage on my own, and will be decked either 20 or 40 thou (for perfect mating, and for a tiny bit more comp.)
home special port and polish job, best I can do without a flowbench, I need a new cam anyway, so might as well go SLIGHTLY more agressive, not much though.

plus I think actually having a GOOD amount of compression in each cylinder is going to help the performance alot.
chris, whilst I understand you want to do the engine you have, pls listen to sound advice from experienced members. You will regret doing the SOHC engine as opposed to the DOHC (esp, Turboed donk) Power is power is NEVER compromise! This forum & all others like it is for those who seek sound advice over less desirable mods. You will be thankful if you @ the very least, seek SOUND advice, not unreliable, wrong advice.

If however you choose to do mod the SOHC, get the right info @ least!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 27-07-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 27-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #48
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtylilGT View Post
chris, whilst I understand you want to do nthe engine you have, pls listen to sound advice from experienced members. You will regret doing the SOHC engine as opposed to the DOHC (esp, Turboed donk) Power is power is NEVER compromise! This firum & all others like it is for those who seek sound advice over less desirable mods. Yo will be thankful if you @ the very least, seek SOUND advice, not unreliable, wrong advice.

If however you choose to do mod the SOHC, get the right info @ least!
While its true It would be a better power gain to go simply to the DOHC or BPT im happy to have my own adventure through the SOHC build. and yes, im aware that even rebuilt, with mods, the DOHC would still be more exciting. If I could find a DOHC package for a cheap price I would consider it, however I still have the underdog syndrome.
EDIT: oh and for reference... i bid on the ACL pistons for the DOHC BP as well when I bought the SOHC pistons, it ends in 2 hours so if I win it, hey... 29 bucks for a set of pistons for a DOHC block as well, so if i did pick up a dohc block, id have the same amount of parts for either engine at current.

Last edited by chrisw; 27-07-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 27-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #49
NaughtyGT

Quote:
While its true It would be a better power gain to go simply to the DOHC or BPT im happy to have my own adventure through the SOHC build. and yes, im aware that even rebuilt, with mods, the DOHC would still be more exciting. If I could find a DOHC package for a cheap price I would consider it, however I still have the underdog syndrome.
EDIT: oh and for reference... i bid on the ACL pistons for the DOHC BP as well when I bought the SOHC pistons, it ends in 2 hours so if I win it, hey... 29 bucks for a set of pistons for a DOHC block as well, so if i did pick up a dohc block, id have the same amount of parts for either engine at current.
er chris.....3rd time I've copied this for folk out there! No block, pistons or anything compares to a BPT, ECU, Harness & pipes for this price. Just can't do it! Check link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190323278550

P.S. don't get me wrong mate, whatever you choose to do, that's cool. There's nothing wrong with choice or something different. Thumbs up for the project you do

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 27-07-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 27-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #50
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtylilGT View Post
er chris.....3rd time I've copied this for folk out there! No block, pistons or anything compares to a BPT, ECU, Harness & pipes for this price. Just can't do it! Check link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190323278550

P.S. don't get me wrong mate, whatever you choose to do, that's cool. There's nothing wrong with choice or something different. Thumbs up for the project you do
Yep, and although that IS a fantastic buy for the price, im not interested as much, I'm an N/A fanboy at heart, love oldschool engines and underdog's

Although that engine is best bang for buck, I can't deny my heart for a little N/A :P though thanks for the advice since I know your trying to get me to realise how much more fun a BPT is
Old 27-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #51
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
please don't get that underdog syndrome too bad mate, it will cost you heaps, i know from experience. that said, the 84x85 predicted bore/stroke gives you a nearly square ratio, which makes for excellent power output. perhaps do the same thing but slap a DOHC head on? maybe some quad throttle bodies later down the track....
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #52
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
please don't get that underdog syndrome too bad mate, it will cost you heaps, i know from experience. that said, the 84x85 predicted bore/stroke gives you a nearly square ratio, which makes for excellent power output. perhaps do the same thing but slap a DOHC head on? maybe some quad throttle bodies later down the track....
id consider a DOHC... and about the underdog thing, I still suffer from the effects of the SOHC hater's back when I had my 82 RT-133 corona with the 21R celica motor and 5 speed tranny... that thing was a total truck but it was hectic :P
Old 27-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #53
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

just curious are those adjustable timing cam gears you see around for the BP engine suitable for the N/A BP DOHC in the astina?
Old 27-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #54
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
just curious are those adjustable timing cam gears you see around for the BP engine suitable for the N/A BP DOHC in the astina?
Yeah, any adjustable cam gears for B6 or BP will fit a BG BP

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #55
Golden Oldie

Car: 1992 Mazda Astina
Thumbs up

Quote:
OH and oldie... sorry but I can actually locate any central locking solenoids/motors in my car.
Thanks mate. Looks like ALL BGs didn't come with CL standard, after all. Any idea what those wires are for?

I must buy a haynes one of these days. I assume the wiring diagram is in it?

Great project BTW. I look forward to seeing your upholstery job.
Old 29-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #56
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Oldie View Post
Thanks mate. Looks like ALL BGs didn't come with CL standard, after all. Any idea what those wires are for?

I must buy a haynes one of these days. I assume the wiring diagram is in it?

Great project BTW. I look forward to seeing your upholstery job.
Im thinking they could be the wires for the headlight warning / roof light switches. since i know all doors make my car beep when i leave the lights on, and they all make the ceiling light come on too.

yeah the haynes manual is GREAT for mechanical stuff, however for minor body stuff you really need the 323F manual (I downloaded it from somewhere) which is bloody awesome for doing things like removing the headlight covers to change bulbs, or to find random things in the car.
Old 29-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #57
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

just checking the RTA light vehicle modification info sheets. I know your not supposed to fit an engine from an older model than yours is, but will there be any issue with fitting another engine from my series BG that may be 2 months behind my build date?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #58
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Ah finally I got some days off, had a relax and organised all my parts today. tomorrow is the work day. up at 5:30am to get fist deep into some of this work that HAS to be done.

-I've just sanded all back around the windows as there was quite a bit of surface rust underneath the black paint. its also been rust converted. Tomorrow it will be zinc primed / etch primed and given a new coat of gloss black

-the front bumper is getting hacked, the middle grill is being gutted out (consider the bodykits that allow a big FMIC to pop through, that style) with all of the subframe painted fresh gloss black.

-new gloss black on the lower trim on the front bumped and side plastic bump strips.

-Numberplate will be offset to the left (checked RTA rules, this is fine)

-Finish off some more of the interior

Product test review: K&H Paint stripper. Really thick sex-jelly style substance, lovely poison warning labels. using mostly for my motorbike project. Managed to strip 5 year old baked on engine paint and near 30 year old paint off to the bare metal in SECONDS. this stuff is amazing.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #59
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
sounds like you're getting into some proper work now mate. i've never been game enough to attempt any kind of body work. lol @ the hectic side number plate, but i realise its functional for you. and cheers for the headsup on that stripper, sounds like pure awesome in a tube.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #60
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
sounds like you're getting into some proper work now mate. i've never been game enough to attempt any kind of body work. lol @ the hectic side number plate, but i realise its functional for you. and cheers for the headsup on that stripper, sounds like pure awesome in a tube.
OOOOOOMGGGG YULLEH!!! HEEEEEEECTIK!

well, half of it is hectosity :P but mainly to try and get a TINY bit more airflow going in that direction, plus id rather remove than repair the busted front bar.

yeah proper work is awesome, motivation is not