Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 23-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
hitokiwi

Car: 93 323 Astina BG
ba v6 auto gearbox suggestions

Hey guys,

Picked up a BA astina the other week off a friend of a friend for about $1000. To my suprise, it seemed to drive pretty well, no problems with the electrics etc.

There was one problem though, the owner said the gearbox was a bit dodgy and after a few weeks it finally started to show the signs. Sometimes it shifts into gear and sometimes when going down the road it slips outta drive and back into neutral.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should do? should i bother trying to get another box and transplant it? or should i look at getting someone to take it apart and try and breathe some life into the old one? I'm more of a fan of getting a doner gearbox and going for gold though

Thanks in advance
hitokiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 23-11-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
get on from a wreckers.

on ebay currently, there is a whole V6 with front panel and radiator damage for $750.

buy it for the manual gearbox bits, sell the other bits off.

i'll take the V6 brakes if you do.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Checked/changed the trans fluid?

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
hitokiwi

Funnily enough, all of this started happening after i changed the fluid. It seems to be the correct fluid and the level is good too but the old fluid which probably hasn't been changed before probably appeared thicker in comparison. I'm wondering if the old crappy fluid was the only thing giving the clutch enough to bite down on?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
JBark

Car: 94 Astina Hatch
Yeah, that exactly it. The clutch material breaks down in the fluid, making it thicker and more abrasive, which in turn wears down more of the clutch material, etc... Put some nice new fluid in, and there's not enough friction for the worn out clutch packs.

I've got the exact same problem with my BA v6 auto, and I'm really not looking forward to the cost for a reman/rebuilt tranny. I'm thinking of just buying another car, and driving my BA until it dies completely.
JBark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Take it to an auto trans shop for a service.
Tell tham it's not changing properly and have them perform a service.
Don't go in there telling them 'it's 99% stuffed and I think it needs replacing' or they will just tell you it needs replacing and charge you for the visit.

No, an auto trans does not get serviced when your car is serviced. Neither does your air con or LPG system.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
maztech

Car: ......
Any decent trans shop if you tell them it is not changing properly will take the car for a drive and make an assesment on the box first and they shouldnt take your cash if they think service wont help it.
Sometimes you can just replace the damaged clutch pack adjust the brake bands and replace the filter as a cheaper option.
Rebuild a auto trans should cost roughly 3000 but all depends on how much they do . Cheaper option is to get one 2nd hand with a warranty but make sure you ask for all the conditions as alot of them dont include labour if it poos itself.
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
hitokiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztech View Post
Any decent trans shop if you tell them it is not changing properly will take the car for a drive and make an assesment on the box first and they shouldnt take your cash if they think service wont help it.
Sometimes you can just replace the damaged clutch pack adjust the brake bands and replace the filter as a cheaper option.
Rebuild a auto trans should cost roughly 3000 but all depends on how much they do . Cheaper option is to get one 2nd hand with a warranty but make sure you ask for all the conditions as alot of them dont include labour if it poos itself.
Yep thats exactly what they did today, they took it for a drive and the guy said the problem was with the gear selector. They took it apart and replaced a few things and it's shifting into drive first go now and also doesn't have any problems going through the gears either. Never came across that before but i'm glad cos it wasn't that expensive to fix.