Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 18-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Golden Oldie

Car: 1992 Mazda Astina
Lightbulb It's uphostery time for my BG

Hey guys! I hope I've placed this thread into the right category

I've been thinking about my cars upholstery for some time so, rather than contemplate, I have just purchased some navy micro fibre upholstery material BUT! I need to ask a few questions I hope you can help me with.

First of all, those covered panels on the top of the door trim, how do you remove it? I am asking before I rip it to bits myself when maybe someone here can give me a heads up, first.

Second, I am also going to cover all the plastic molding in the hatch. Can someone recommend a good glue that won't bleed?

I'm not doing the seats. Seat covers take care of that and I'm not really that good

If anyone can throw a couple of tips my way I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 18-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Golden Oldie

Oh! what I meant by remove the panel, I meant seperate it from the rest of the trim with very little damage.

I'm not removing the old stuff. Just putting the new fabric over the top. I think that will work ok?

Thanks
Old 18-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
karamello

Car: Mazda 323 Astina BG
Send a message via MSN to karamello
last time i took apart the door trim, it looked like the fabric panel was stapled to the actual trim

im thinking of doing this myself when i have the time/energy...take some progress pics
karamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
its best if you can pick up some older door panels and strip stuff, BUT as ive done in the past go pick up some upholstry glue, spray it on your fabric and on the panel.

then spread it over smoothly, and staple it on the other side. in the case of the plastic trim, your going to have a harder time, maybe use some super dooper glue on the backside where it doesnt matter if it bleeds.

ill be doing something similar to mine shortly, though using a charcoal or similar basic coloured trim.
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Golden Oldie

Thanks for your replies.

Hmmm! stapled argh!!! I will take one of the trims off this weekend and have a poke around.

I stuck my fingernail around the edges of the fabric panel and I think there will be enough gap to 'force' the new fabric into and glue should hold it in place.
The top of the panel will be the easiest.

Uphostery glue spray. Is that going to work over the plasic in the hatch or just on the doors?

The only thing that worries me is, the glue is going to go off faster than I can move the new fabric into position. I know I'm going to have to cut out the holes after it's on. The plugs & screws shouldn't be a problem.

I was going to use charchol color as well but, by accident, I recieved the wrong colour front seat covers a while back (I wanted red & silver) they sent me blue/silver. Hey! I liked it and the navy looks pretty good with the grey interior and champaigne paint. I can't understand Mazda though why they put in taupe carpet at the factory?? Should have been grey as far as I'm concerned.

Yup! I will post progress pics. and if anyone else has anything to offer it will be great.

This ain't gonna be easy.

Cheers!
Old 19-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
karamello

im going to be completely replacing my carpet with a new one soon as well...you should have a look around. ive found a couple at around 200 delivered without holes cutout. you can get them in all different colours so you may find one thatll match your new interior
Old 19-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

if your talking about the holes in the plastic trim in the boot, just cover the whole panel nice and tight, straight over those holes.

when its on, cut diagonally from each corner then fold them behind the panel and secure.

like you said, screw holes wont be an issue.
Old 20-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Golden Oldie

Thanks for your input with is. I really appreciate it.

I've got some ideas floating around in my head and will go ahead with them.
I will post pic's if it works. The first door is experimental and ready for anything. Once the glue goes on HEY! I may have to buy another skin.

Anyway, wish me luck!

I am thinking twice about covering the hatch panels as I feel the fabric will crease too much. Might actually go the hard way with another idea I have. See what happens

Later
Old 20-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
if your other idea is to spray paint it, im warning you, dont, unless you are really proficient and know what your doing, rushing will lead to flaking paint later... trust me lol
Old 20-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
ahaha what did you do tony?

basic spray painting is easy enough, you just have to prep it right (says the person who needs to respray 2 bumpers and a lip )
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
my old car was done in 2 parts inside wise. 1st part i preped it right and it turned out good. i did it on a good warm calm day. second time it was just about to rain, i rushed and didnt prime ffs lol and few weeks later it flaked haha only in a few spots but enough to piss me off..
Old 22-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Golden Oldie

OH! Tony, No! No! No! LOL ...I'm not going to paint Thanks for the tip, anyway

Change of plans. Don't like the navy blue, anymore. Still would have looked OK but, it's a womans perogative to change their mind. YES?

Anyway, I have just bought some grey (graphite) suede off ebay for a bargain. Don't ya just love eBay sometimes...well, the grey will definitly look better.

My idea:

Make template of fabric panel on door
Allow for 3mm piping around edges + 1/4" overlap, except for the top.
Glue into place leaving edges until glue sets.
Glue edges with stonger glue, tucking in the 1/4" overlap, under the panel which, by rights and if cut out perfectly, the piping should line up.

There isn't much room to play with around the edges so, it must be perfect.

Have I put you guys in the picture? You know as much as me at the moment as to what it's going to look like and, even if it's going to work

Lata
Old 25-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
Golden Oldie

READY, SET and almost a GO!

Haven't done much. Waiting for materials.

Anyway, here is the beginning. Will update htm with progress.

Gotta start somehwere, right?

http://kezfool.bravehost.com/car%20trim.htm

Lata

Kez
Old 26-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

your doors look in quite good condition at least i have to say.

my car is officially off the road too, so when i get some hot dong, i mean hot dollars, ill start a similar progress report, waiting for your results first though
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
Golden Oldie

Update! Ipdate!!

Not everything went as smooth as I hoped, but, it really isn't as difficult as it may look )

More lata
Old 01-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #16
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

looks like a great start man, Keep us informed on how that new adhesive goes.

Unlike you, im re-upholstering my ENTIRE door, so im going to have some fun with curves and edges. especially on some of the fibreglassed speaker parts

what was the first adhesive you used that bled? it wasent 3M was it ?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
Golden Oldie

The original adhesive was Selleys Kwik Grip (not the gel). The runny stuff like honey. My brain wave was telling me that this was a little too potent for the job but alas! I listened to the salesman and not my head.
This GEL is like butter and speads the same. I deal for vertical jobs, too.

It is morning now and there is no bleed with my sample so, I'm off to sew another panel and stick it on. I will post more pics later.

You are going to do your WHOLE door. WOW! Good luck. The edges will be easy enough but those curves around the arm rest etc. won't be all that easy I'd imagine. And also, having the same fabric on the whole door, I can't imagine. I will look forward to your project as well.

Cheers!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
karamello

sewing machine

looks good in the pics though
Old 02-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Golden Oldie

FINISHED! one door.

If you have any questions. Please ask.

This was my first time and believe me...If I can do it, so can you
Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
Golden Oldie

The FRONT template

First of all, I just completed the HTM with the final photos. The project is finished! and ready to stain the brain with a few other upholstery ideas )

ANYWAY!....
Hey BG owners! I threw out the back template, but, if anyone is interested in the front one, I will send it to you
Just email me at kez2007@gmail.com with your address and I will stick it in the mail. I will even ADD the extra 2cm allowance on the pattern.

That's all for now and would love a little feedback with what I have done.

Cheers!

Kez (MADAZ)!