Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 28-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #1
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Car Sometimes Starting On Second Turn Of Key

Hey All.

Not a Mazda car but I'm pretty sure it can happen to any car i guess.

But problem is :

I noticed about 2 months ago that sometimes when i come to turn the key nothing happens (no crank sound) but on second turn car turns on fine, at first i thought maybe i didn't turn it enough for it to crank (because i'd quickly do it) and never really think about because anytime i try it the second time its fine. (It does it maybe once every second day)

So then i noticed that it can't be me quickly turning the key thinking i don't turn it enough for it to crank (sorry if that sounds stupid because when you quickly jump in the car and put the key in quick to turn it sometimes i think maybe i don't turn it enough :/)

But the other day i actually had to turn it about 4 to 5 times before it started, and then when i came home i thought i'd test it, turned car off and must have turned it on about 20 times and all started perfectly, and the next day try'd it about 10 times and all fine.

What could it be ??? Ignition Switch Maybe ? Or Alarm/Immobiliser, maybe the wiring of alarm ? (My alarm has a memory that if you unlock the car and open the door and if you don't start it within 30 seconds the immobiliser turns on and got to press the off button again to turn on, but that's normal) Trying to give as much info as i know

I tested the battery, that's fine, tested the alternator also fine.

Starter was changed about 2 years ago, not saying that's the problem but could it be the starter playing up ? Or any thoughts what maybe it could be ?

Its hard to really test anything because 99.9% of the time when i turn the key and wont start on second turn its fine so i can't really know what is causing it.

EDIT : Also could it maybe be battery related ? even thou voltage is fine ?

Last edited by Noble323; 28-03-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
ignition switch if you are not hearing any clicking etc.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Noble323
E74A

Na i actually do hear a click somewhere so i guess ignition switch is working.

its a weird problem, i searched the net and couldn't find something similar or close to my problem.
Old 29-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Astini6

Car: Saab 9-3 V6 Turbo
If its not battery or ignition switch could it be distributor related? I remember with an old car I needed to rock it forward and back in gear sometimes, then it would start. Can't remember what this was ralated to though, maybe dizzy...
Astini6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
Moobs

Car: bj astina 1.8
if u hear a click everytime the car doesnt crank its most likely starter motor. i would just replace that first since they are usually quite cheap for reco unit

if problem still there after u replace the starter, check for voltage drop on positive and negative side of the starter circuit. u might have too much resistance in ur wiring, corroded terminals, loose cabling etc..
Moobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
Noble323
E74A

Thanks everyone that reply'd.

I was thinking starter as well but its acting completely different to what a starter failing does.

So i actually undid the battery terminals and positioned them abit different and cleaned the terminals (even thou they looked clean) but also noticed oil around the starter plugs and starter because of a leak from the rocker covers so carby spray'd the whole area 3 nights ago and car is starting fine, so hopefully it fixed the problem.

Im meaning to changed rocker cover gaskets but haven't the time so gotta make up some because i hate oil leaks.

I wish a reco starter for me car is cheap but their pricey (Mitsubishi Galant Import)

Will update in a week or 2 - and see if still all good
Old 11-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
Noble323
E74A

Well its starting to do it again, i kinda noticed it more when car is not started everyday, so im thinking the battery maybe playing up to be honest.
Old 24-05-2015, 03:00 AM   #8
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Get the battery load tested - now with colder months they really hurt.
Plus if car is 15-20 years old do a new earth lead from the bat to body to engine. and starter if it runs one. The main power lead goes to fuse box and is normally a 30 year job. can't explain why the earth goes first but does on many FWD manual mostly due to earth strap on gearbox fail. clutch in and out I guess ? Rocking bad mounts ?
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #9
Noble323
E74A

Thanks for the reply.

But sadly i have a bit bigger problem with car, so soonish taking it to the mechanic to run a few tests like compression, injectors, air leak test. So hopefully it's nothing serious.
Old 25-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #10
Astina Gold

Car: BG Astina | Ford Laser KN
Is this car an auto?

Could be the Neutral Safety switch.

Could also be the starter isn't receiving full battery to the starter itself.
Astina Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:50 AM   #11
Noble323
E74A

Thanks for the reply just sorting out a boost leak/fuel problem before anything but sadly some dumb s*** actually hit my car from side/back and don't know who did it. Just been getting back luck after back luck the last two weeks.