Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #21
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
Jordi, I had a completely immaculate Sports edition which I would have loved to see go to someone like you, but unfortunately traded it in late 2008. I haven't seen any others in the same shape since and it was sold by the car dealer rather than off to auctions about a week later for around $15k. I haven't seen any others since, but to give you a guide we just sold an immaculate mid 2006 Mazda 6 hatch with 50k for around 11k last year and there is no way a Mazda 323 would be worth that anymore.

If you go a Subie, try and find an RS from then as the base models were pretty blah.
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #22
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
we paid $10k 3years ago for a 1 owner 1.8 with 99k on the clock and full service history.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
Byrd

Car: Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofy View Post
If you go a Subie, try and find an RS from then as the base models were pretty blah.
Would that be woofy from Mactalk? Hi

I've been searching for SP20/Impreza models almost exclusively, as the idea of a Japanese-made "spacious" hatch with decent handling appeals. I've sworn myself off Euro or Aussie-made cars. I've also come from a Honda family (my wife recently picked up a 2001 CR-V with 70K for $8.5K, off a neighbour), but there is nothing later from Honda that appeals. Certainly the mid-00 Civic isn't that great, and I find the mid-00 Mazda 3 quite unattractive.

I agree that the stock Impreza 2.0L model is really disappointing, and the problem with the RS 2.5 model is not only price, but because those who previously purchased one treated it like a WRX in terms of driving and cheap mods. There aren't many good, reasonably priced examples of these around, even less than the SP20 I'd say

Interestingly, my work is selling their ex-lease 2008 Astras, a wagon in particular has my eye with only 15K on the clock (and it was used only to transport walking frames to old ladies, yes I'm serious!). I'm waiting to hear back on the price, but if they said $9 - 10K I'd give it some thought. Yes, yes, I know they are expensive to maintain when things go wrong, but if I can use if for a few years before this stuff crops up, it might be OK. Not what I want, but if the price is right ...

JB

Last edited by Byrd; 05-08-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #24
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
and I find the mid-00 Mazda 3 quite unattractive.
interesting you say that. to me the BJ2s and BK1s look the same to me styling wise. shape of headlights, centre grill etc. the rear end is quite different though.

the 3 has more power and space. but you'll pay more for having a younger car with less milage.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
Byrd

There are some similarities, however I find the 3 to be quite overstyled (like lots of new smaller cars, seen the new i30?), with the 323 having much cleaner, well-defined lines.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #26
woofy

The sedan 3 actually had a smaller opening in the boot than the outgoing 323 sedan, we could fit things in ours that wouldn't go in the 3 courtesy cars. The boot was bigger in general with a full size 16" spare wheel so don't know how they botched that up.

The trick is to find an untainted one, ours was in awesome cond and the dealer couldn't wait to get their hands on it, it sold so fast for them it wasn't funny. The 6 was much the same and might be something worth looking into.
Old 16-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #27
Byrd

The search ... drags on ...

Found a good example SP20 that met most of my standards (ie. it looks like someone actually cared for it and enjoyed it).

... problem is the owner (mother) has moved O/S permanently
... so I'm dealing with her son, who also has gone O/S for a holiday to see his mum
... then I'm dealing with the other son who tried to organise RWC but failed to get it done in time before ... yes, going O/S
... so what was meant to be an exciting day tomorrow picking the car up will be a bloody long one, as I have to ride my bike 15km back home!

Grr. I may still have another chance at it in a few weeks, but will keep looking.

Last edited by Byrd; 16-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 21-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
woofy

Geeze not hard to get a RWC, usually within a day really unless something needs fixing. If you come across a 2002 Sports edition with a sunroof I would be its mine, but doubt whoever bought it has moved on yet, last time I checked the rego it was the same person.
Old 21-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #29
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B tuned by STi
Sold mine with 160ish kms late last year for $9K. After owning a turbo AWD car I think I would've been happier in a GC8 WRX than the SP20, but it was a great car regardless.
Old 22-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #30
buickman

Car: SP20 Astina 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
interesting you say that. to me the BJ2s and BK1s look the same to me styling wise. shape of headlights, centre grill etc. the rear end is quite different though.

the 3 has more power and space. but you'll pay more for having a younger car with less milage.
I purchased a new Mazda 3 for my wife early this year as I had held of buying another car after the Mazda SP20 was written by hail stones in 2010.
The difference in performance is fairly noticable from the SP20 even though both have a 2ltr mtr the Mazda 3 is fairly gutsy on take of but the SP20 I feel had a better interior quality but less safety and more road noise. If he can get a good one which we owned with only 50,000 odd kms and has been serviced it should be under $9,000 as I got a insurance payout in 2010 of $12,500 on the SP20 a good car and handles well if correct tyres are fitted.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #31
Byrd

Thanks all for your input. The SP20 I found, was a 2003 model with 100K for $9K, but I'll have to wait a few more weeks until the seller gets back in town. I don't mind this as I need to have some medical treatment and will be out of action for a few weeks. There is an SP20 on gumtree for $3500 at the moment but all sounds oh so dodgy.

Yes, I notice a lack of low end acceleration in the SP20, and the gearbox seems a bit imprecise (short shifter and new bushings etc. will be on the cards). But for my needs - to replace a reliable but disintegrating ED Honda Civic, it ticks most of the boxes. There really isn't much else around the the price, and I'm sworn off European hatches for life
Old 23-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #32
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post

There really isn't much else around the the price, and I'm sworn off European hatches for life
They are a good reliable car I had no issues with the SP20 in the 8 years of ownership and would still of had the car if the hail had not wrote the car off.
As for Euro hatches dig deep into your pocekets ifthings go wrong as my daughter who owns a Focus XR5 has anything on those things costs a fortune to fix.
She is thing Mazda for next car.
Old 24-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #33
woofy

Hmm interesting, I've been recently smitten with the upcoming Focus ST, but have been wondering what it will be like reliability wise. I currently have a coming up to 4 yr old Skoda Octavia RS that has been trouble free from day dot, I would be happy to buy another, but less so a Golf as they seem to have more issues. Also mine is manual by choice and the DSGs still scare me without the extended warranty that VW are doing everywhere else but here.
Old 24-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #34
Byrd

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the class and refinement of European cars/hatches Twice bitten shy I'd never go back there though, even though I'm sure others will tell me I'm full of ****e with this perception. But to me, the only good European car is one that is still under warranty.
Old 24-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #35
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofy View Post
Hmm interesting, I've been recently smitten with the upcoming Focus ST, but have been wondering what it will be like reliability wise.
This might be of the subject of the purchasing of a SP20 Mazda...

The Volvo 5cyl motors are reliable and give a great exhaust note and performance note when pushed. But the oil coolers don't last more than 30-60 thousand kms and as they are a Swedish Volvo unit they cost well over a thousand to replace, alternators don't last that long and brakes and tyres are very costly item on them otherwise they are a fun car to drive except the indicators on the leftonly time will tell if the new Focus 4cyl ST will be reliable.
The problem with cars made in Europe is the expense when something goes wrong compared to Asian made cars and new French cars in particular have an issue with body parts not on the shelf in Australia if the car is involved in an accident .

Last edited by buickman; 24-08-2012 at 11:08 PM.