Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 26-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #21
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina GT Turbo
Send a message via MSN to dave0r
in NZ its "GAY" to have the BOV plumbd back.

Vent to Atmo is so legal here its a crime not too
dave0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #22
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
in OZ its "GAY" to be from NZ. lol

We couldn't get John Howard to sign the Kyoto Agreement, but they fine us for venting into the atmosphere, go figure???

Last edited by project.r.racing; 26-12-2007 at 10:05 PM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 01:29 AM   #23
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
that's because when the laws came in

Australia was no nuclear in our back yard - We hate the French.
Back then australia was we will lead the way with recycling.

It's amazing how under a long 11 year of No progress for the future we have been left behind.

As for NZ - I have to say they have there own problems.
If they ain't complaining about overstayers or - how saying how wonderful the place is. I would not have a reason to tell them to leave Bondi.

It's funny how the lot living here think NZ is the greatest But they Won't go back. LOL Mind you I'd rather swap them for some of our own overstayers here LOL
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 05:56 AM   #24
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
in OZ its "GAY" to be from NZ. lol

We couldn't get John Howard to sign the Kyoto Agreement, but they fine us for venting into the atmosphere, go figure???

LOL , i was waiting for a post like that

There are good points to both our countries,, but also bad points...we'll leave that outa this thread

i like that fact we get almost every jap import made and that there isnt a law yet about BOV's
Old 27-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #25
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
NZ is the best place to import cars...FULL STOP...my cousin can import almost any car he likes, which also doesnt help the new car market...BUT WHO CARES....anyway, since Plumb Back is legal and doesnt get as much attention im opting for this well...option...Ive been harassed enough by cops who think my elec oil pressure gauge is mechanical instead....i got a defect for this the other week but i fought it and won ...in like an afternoon...hahaha

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 12:42 AM   #26
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
a lot of people say using no bov can cause dammage to the fins of a turbo compressor, but i don't think there is any actual research to prove this as yet.

You want to know how to do that. Leave a car stock run whole thing stock replace stock jap intercooler might be small but use one XR6 turbo intercooler = bent fin on turbo compressor.
Old 28-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #27
hitokiwi

Car: 93 323 Astina BG
Quote:
put simply...

atmo - goes 'psht' loud and is illegal as it dammaged the environment with deadly emmissions!
Heres what i dont understand and i've never gotten an answer to this question. I thought the idea of a blow off valve was to relieve the pressure when the throttle butterfly vavle(s) are closed? If this is the case it would be mounted on the intake side and there shouldn't be any damaging emmisions as its just compressed air?

Feel free to have a go at me, but i'd really like to have an answer to that question.
hitokiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #28
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Having NO blow-off valve can cause some damage to the compressor wheel if going WOT with more than a few PSI;
Shock wave can bounch back and damage fins.
the compressor wheel will stop so fast that it spins backwards as the rest of the turbo spins forwards ( think about this one)

compression surge is a good for you to g00gle newman!

Edit; by having a plumbback setup you can lessen the "lag time" between fast gear changes as the air already there, HP wise, dont think it makes a differecne

Last edited by dave0r; 28-12-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 28-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #29
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0r View Post

Edit; by having a plumbback setup you can lessen the "lag time" between fast gear changes as the air already there, HP wise, dont think it makes a differecne
I think this is what my friend meant ay?

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #30
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
put simply...
a lot of people say using no bov can cause dammage to the fins of a turbo compressor, but i don't think there is any actual research to prove this as yet.
I was talking about the "but i dont think there is any actual research to prove this as yet"
Been covered many times on turbo related materials, ie books, internet etc..Hence the "g00gle" comment

edit; its like saying "theres not real evidence to show that he anti frezze helps protect ya car when its all Ali block/head" its just asking for a internet bash

Last edited by dave0r; 28-12-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 29-12-2007, 01:18 AM   #31
project.r.racing

Quote:
no? only about 10 years of rallying in europe and japan in the 80s, when turbos where 1st introduce to rallying, they kept breaking blades and shafts from compressor surge.

there does not need to be any research done for this, it simply happened in motorsports and the manufacturors devised ways around it. i idea was a pressure release valve. developements of this in todays world are know as blow off valves.

ryan
Old 29-12-2007, 02:45 AM   #32
rodhog

Quote:
no? only about 10 years of rallying in europe and japan in the 80s, when turbos where 1st introduce to rallying, they kept breaking blades and shafts from compressor surge.

there does not need to be any research done for this, it simply happened in motorsports and the manufacturors devised ways around it. i idea was a pressure release valve. developements of this in todays world are know as blow off valves.

ryan

ONe does have to remember how much boost they were running back then - think of the Group B rally cars. Alos turbo technology was still in it's early ot mid days of being really reliable.

but the fact is, it have JOB to do. Stop compressor surge.

Why plumb back, it's quite obvious to most that 90% of cars that used turbos when realsed had early EFI. 90% based on ? Bosch desgin systems Deltronic and simialr. You know that airflow meter made by denso is just Registered desgin copy. In fact alot of stuff is. Either made by denso or Mitsubishi.
Now being air flow metered. I'm sure they would have realised early on any leak would have lead to a bad reading or air. As when oyu remove air that has been read by the airflow meter it has to be replaced. only one place to do it. It goes on. Backfire ETc I think most know about the overfuel

By why no Atmosphere. It's not just compressed air. Every factory air intake is more then just a intake it's a recycle centre. Even todays cars have some of the Carbon canister going in this way and not the manifold like of old.
all these things can't be going anywhere but through the cat converter.

These are nto issues for people to question because they are desgin rules which in turns makes them LAW. Meaning you can't Fight it.
It's like if EPA test a Brand new factory off the floor FORD or Holden with say 30,000kms on it. by now like alot of them one or more of the Cat converters has proberly died. They don't last. But if you got finded and said to the maker at the dealership I wanti t replaced under warrenty - they can take out the warrenty clause and - claim - WEAR AND TEAR PART.

Most might if it's rattleing just replace it for being nice.
But if you said you got defected fined by EPA and say everyone had to replace there cats when they fail - Well .................................................. ................

I don't think I have to go into the politics of it all but leave it at this.

A factory bypass - is Factory it's legal.

NO BOV bypass factory - is legal

Adding BOV to non bypass or BOV fitted car - is not legal

Adding BOV period is not legal, becuase it's not test and it's not passed a ADR law.

Because the law in it's palinest form wants your car to be as the manufactuer desgined and built it to be for Desgins which by definition are the LAWS.

This is why CAPPA CSV and I think AVO turbo world spend extra on getting there kits ADR approved so that they don't get suded.
Everyone else claims "This is off road or Racing use only item" This clause/line SAVES them.
Theorecitcally it means also if you add it you use it in any other situation - You are breaking the law.
Old 29-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #33
sik astina

Car: Ba 1.8L Turbo astina
Send a message via MSN to sik astina
I heard the same thing too with the F1 cars like zappy65 said before in the thread.

My Bro did my setup in my astina. With the plumback BOV aiming right into the turbo blades, keeping the air circulating white shifting gears. You can really hear my BOV even tho its plumback

Best to stay legal and keep the police off ya back
Old 31-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #34
reshiek

Car: BA astin
Hey guys, did not think it was appropriate to open another thread, when there was one for BOV.
anyways, i would like one for my BA Astina 97, i do not have any engine mods in the car what so ever. is this legal?i seen in many rx7 1988 models
is there a particular one i need to look for?any places to buy them?
thanks in advance
reshiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #35
project.r.racing

um? you need a turbo 1st dude...
Old 31-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #36
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Quote:
you can hook up a BOV to any car.

you can also buy this kit that is a little box and speaker under the bonnet and it makes a PSCHTT noise every time you lift off the throttle.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #37
reshiek

Quote:
haha i cant afford that at the moment.but project R-why do i need one?like why can i get one, with stock engine??i never understood that part. maybe you can elaborate on that a bit??thanks heaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
you can hook up a BOV to any car.

you can also buy this kit that is a little box and speaker under the bonnet and it makes a PSCHTT noise every time you lift off the throttle.
are you being sarcastic?
do you mean a fake blow off valve??
Old 31-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #38
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
hey bud, with blow of valves you can install them to any car...as long as it turbo'ed youll be able to do it...

in a naturually asperated car it wont work

and yes you can get fake blow off valves...you can get them to put in your exhaust and it will make the sound a bit dicky but some like it...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #39
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by reshiek View Post
haha i cant afford that at the moment.but project R-why do i need one?like why can i get one, with stock engine??i never understood that part. maybe you can elaborate on that a bit??thanks heaps

are you being sarcastic?
do you mean a fake blow off valve??
a blow of valve is a little device that releives manifold pressure due to the compressor (turbo) when throttle is released to help with throttle off deceleration. without one venting to the atmosphere or recerculating it back around to the front of the compressor you would not slow down when you let go of gas to quickly, and it might place unnecesary straines on the turbo as the exaust gasses might not be sufficient to spin the turbine and drive the charger against all that pressure that is there. so what ryan said is right, to make the sound you need the turbo. u can put one on there but it will not do nothing as the pressure in the manifold will never get above atmosphere

Welcome to AGT

edit

damn my slow typing

what bourbon said
those little ones that go in the exhaust can be obtained from ebay. IMO a lot more that just little dicky

Last edited by 70NYD; 31-10-2008 at 12:14 PM.
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #40
reshiek

Thanks for your help guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fake-Turbo-Whistler-Whistle-Blow-Off-Valve-BOV-Sound_W0QQitemZ250315404532QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m250315404532&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A1|240%3 A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

is this what you meant 7onyd?

bourbon why cant you do it??and is there further damage if you do it on a normal car?