Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 19-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Pettos
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 323 Astina '03
Magical Evaporating Oil

Hey guys,

My car has a magical oil leak... It seems to disappear... I put more in and wait for a drip under my car... But it doesn't drip... Any suggestions?

I will pull off the plastic covers under the car to see if it's collecting under there... But yeah, it's weird tbh... lol

If you need to know, it's a 2003 1.8L Mazda astina

Cheers,

Pete
Old 19-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
what grade oil? 15w 10w 5w? & how much are we talking that is being lost? & how often are you needing to fill it?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
You should be able to run your hand around the edges or on the inside of the plastic covers to see if there is any oil collecting there - no need to take them off.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
NaughtyGT

I wouldn't imagine trays would hold too much oil without it dripping onto ground? How much oil are we talking Pete?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 19-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Noddinoff

Car: AE86 Supercharged, Astina BA11F3, Honda Accord
Disappearing oil can be a sign of something more sinister developing......have you checked your radiator fluids? My friend lost a fair bit of oil into the cooling system of his car....it was a real pain to clean out too. Otherwise you could be burning it off when driving which means A: wrong viscosity or B: your rings are on the way out.......
Old 19-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddinoff View Post
Disappearing oil can be a sign of something more sinister developing......have you checked your radiator fluids? My friend lost a fair bit of oil into the cooling system of his car....it was a real pain to clean out too. Otherwise you could be burning it off when driving which means A: wrong viscosity or B: your rings are on the way out.......
buddy, oil in the radiator means blown head gasket. You don't simply clean this out it means head work & $$$$.

But I agree. If alot of oil is going missing it's either being brunt or there is one hell of a leak. Pettos, you need to let us know more info. Check fluids etc.

Old 19-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
check your exhaust 2, i was loosing oil thru there as well for a LONG time becuse it was too thin for the 13yo rings
Old 19-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Rix

Car: 1997 Mazda Astina Ba
Send a message via MSN to Rix
Lol Tony that sounds very suss but i know what ur saying:P

All i can say was it tight haha
Rix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
check your exhaust 2, i was loosing oil thru there as well for a LONG time becuse it was too thin for the 13yo rings
that's why I asked Pettos what grade oil is used, 5/10/15? It could be being burnt, getting pasty rings

Old 19-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

not tight enough if the oil went thru
ur immature rix, but so am i and im 21 so i cant flak you for it
Old 19-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
Rix

Car: 1997 Mazda Astina Ba
Send a message via MSN to Rix
Yeah and i'm 18 whats ur point?:P
Rix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
on topic - oil rings on the way out...
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
Noddinoff

Car: AE86 Supercharged, Astina BA11F3, Honda Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtylilGT View Post
buddy, oil in the radiator means blown head gasket. You don't simply clean this out it means head work & $$$$.

But I agree. If alot of oil is going missing it's either being brunt or there is one hell of a leak. Pettos, you need to let us know more info. Check fluids etc.
Yes it does, and it did....but the fact remains we still had to clean out the rest of the goop, and it was a pain in the a....
Old 19-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
on topic - oil rings on the way out...
^^Agreed with first part^^

is the car smokey?
how many km's on the engine??
how often are you filling up & how much oil?
Old 19-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
Pettos
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 323 Astina '03
Hey guys,

The car isn't smoking.

We're at about 102,500k's on the clock

Not sure how much I'm putting in at a time (didn't really pay attention) Just that I pull the dipstick out, and it's almost dry sometimes, so I fill it up to around full, and within, say a couple of weeks (give or take a few days) it will either be low, or almost dry again.

I'm using Castrol 10W - 30 (which is what the user manual suggests?)
Old 20-08-2009, 05:19 AM   #16
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
10W-30 is very thin oil. re think the not burning oil statement if using that weight oil.

if you are losing 800ml in a couple of weeks, let's say 4 weeks. with no leaks at all, then it's going somewhere.

i would suggest using a thicker oil more suited to our climate, maybe 15W-40 or 20W-50.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #17
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
10W-30 is very thin oil. re think the not burning oil statement if using that weight oil.

if you are losing 800ml in a couple of weeks, let's say 4 weeks. with no leaks at all, then it's going somewhere.

i would suggest using a thicker oil more suited to our climate, maybe 15W-40 or 20W-50.
project, 10w is not that thin. I actually used 0w for about 2 months in my GT which has 174000 on clock. Admittedly, didn't do that many klms over that period but it didn't loose that much oil like Pettos is talking. 10w or 15w is fine in a good, low klms engine like Pettos has. An older sure, 15 would probably be the go. This whole thing sounds suss as hell.

Pettos, how many klms do you do within the 3 weeks. Are we talking **** loads? All thin viscosity oils under 20w will bypass rings to some degree! 20w is way too thick for multi-valve engines. The bottem-end bearings will be at risk!!! This grade is for older, crap engines that are begining to get noisy & burn oil.

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 20-08-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 20-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #18
asanga

Car: astina BA 1997 1.8Ltr
just check your PCV valve.
asanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtylilGT View Post
project, 10w is not that thin. I actually used 0w for about 2 months in my GT which has 174000 on clock. Admittedly, didn't do that many klms over that period but it didn't loose that much oil like Pettos is talking. 10w or 15w is fine in a good, low klms engine like Pettos has. An older sure, 15 would probably be the go. This whole thing sounds suss as hell.

Pettos, how many klms do you do within the 3 weeks. Are we talking **** loads? All thin viscosity oils under 20w will bypass rings to some degree! 20w is way too thick for multi-valve engines. The bottem-end bearings will be at risk!!! This grade is for older, crap engines that are begining to get noisy & burn oil.
LOL... if you think 20W is too thick ask ry what he was running. most BA's on here without rebuilt engines will be using 15W or 20W. 20W is fine for bottom end bearings, what will kill them is over revving. i think its the recommended oil for the BA/1.8 too

has the engine has its rings done yet? if not thats a likely cause, along with valve stem seals. 100,000km service includes rings i think
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #20
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

what davo said, i had so much blow by till i switched to 25W50 (or 20W50 i forget) and now i am using next to no oil (100ml for last 2000km...) every engine will use oil, FACT, impossible to seperate the lubricating and burning systems and still have long maintenance periods... in australian (well QLD) weather there is no such thing as oil that is too thick, only too much and too hot. oil thats too thin is GOOD for you, it means it will lubricate MORE but you will end up using alot of it and have a nasty (illegal) emmision. but on a non rebuilt BP (so circa 1990's) engine 20W should be a minimum..