Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 17-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
kfze

Car: CBAEP with KFZE
Send a message via Yahoo to kfze
Smile Steering Rack & Clutch

Mates,
My steering rack is giving me some problems lately. Felt the steering has free play and some unusual sound.

Is the steering rack the same across all BA models i.e. 1.6, 1.8 & 2.0 V6 ?

Any advise is much appreciated as I plan to get a unit soon to replace.

By the way, I am looking to change my clutch soon. Does EXEDY has any model for 2.0 V6 ? If not, any other brands. Looking for semi racing clutch.

Cheers mates.
kfze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 17-12-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Check the top of your struts to see if the rubber mount has worn and the shock has been moving around. a not so common problem but it's been known to happen to a few BAs

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
My guess would be tie rod ends or lower ball joints. The steering rack is pressurised and would leak like hell if damaged.
Old 17-12-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
kfze

Did some check this afternoon. The rubber at the abs looks tight.

Did some "major" 360 degree turn to check the tie rods. Doesn't give any indication of a problem i.e. no "tok tok tok" sound.

What would be the "indication" of a faulty steering rack ?

I also took out the clutch. Found out that it is from Daikin. Will take it to spare parts shops to look for suitable ones.

Will update whether Exedy has any for V6.

Cheers !
Old 18-12-2005, 07:25 AM   #5
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
The tie rod ends are the coupling on from the steering rack to the struts.
Old 19-12-2005, 03:06 AM   #6
kfze

Alrite mateys, steering rack is the same for BA 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 V6.

Confirm that with a mate that is in progress of transplanting a V6 into his 1.6.

Cheers !
Old 19-12-2005, 04:40 AM   #7
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
That just spins me out you know
You say that in KL you are not allowed to put a 2.5lv6 into a BA 2.0v6 as the increase in capacity is 25% and therefore too much for legality
BUT

You are allowed to put a 2.0v6 (25%larger) into a 1.6l car let alone having 2 extra cylinders and an extra ton of weight, and this is legal
Seem a bit dum to me
At least in the v6-v6 upgrade yo dont need to engineer as much

What suspension upgrade is your mate doing and where are you getting the extra chassis strengthening etc...........
Too many questions and not enough substantial answers
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
kfze

Alrite, the explanations :

1) Official legal rate is 25% max upgrade in engine capacity. We have a body to conduct and approve any engine capacity upgrades. They will test the brakes, the suspension and will check whether the body is "joint" (welded together with the halfcut. Welded chassis is definitely illegal. Mounting position cannot be overly modified. Simple modify mountings (ie carburetor Honda Civic to b16A civic engines where some minor mods on mounting are needed) are allowed.

2) Once all the above approved, your car is considered legal. It doesn't matter whether u are swapping from an inline 4 to V6 or boxer, as long as the capacity is within reach (this is the official rule)

3) One more thing is, u can only do engine swap from the same manufacturer. You can't legally swap a 2JZ Supra into a Volvo 240GL chassis. But in Malaysia, it has been done before and it has been approved and "legalised"

4) Technically speaking, as long as the swap is within 25% of capacity, then it is legal. But, similar with other countries, it is not a safe assumption, as the powers-that-be always have something against a swap from 1.6 liter to 2.0 liters. The max they will "allow" is 1.6 to 1.8. Unless u do something backcounter i.e. $$$$

5) We have Proton cars here that modelled under Mitsu Lancer and Cyborg. So, swapping a normal SOCH to GSR or MIVEC twin turbos are very common.

Seldom ppl will bother about chassis strengthening or improving the braking power. Most modders are just power crazy. Imagine a Mazda BG Familia with GTR 210 turbo, but using the original 1.5 liter brakes and calipers. Its perfectly normal here.
Old 19-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #9
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Sounds like the same type of garb that goes on here although we can drive to another state with a perfectly legal car and get defected
Each state has its own rules and regulations and thats where the fun starts
Surely though (if your game) you could swap the KF for a KL and not say anything
For example with the K series engines the block code (eg. K8, KF,KL) is found at the rear of the engine and almost underneath the power steering pump and the engine number is impossible to see unless the engine is taken out.
Unless someone is highly experienced with the Mazda 6cyl engines they would never be able to tell
You'd have to be careful if you ever sold the car though
Unless you bought the thing used then you arent the only one who 'could' have done the swap
"Sorry officer I cant tell you anything about the car as I buy them and drive them, I know that pedal there means stop and that one means go"
Its worked for me before
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote