Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 24-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #341
BG1.8sp

Car: 2009 BL MPS

That's where it was bashing on the subframe. And that's how it sat with stock endlinks

Sorry again Ben
Old 24-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #342
TheMAN

Car: .
you need longer end links
and yes, that bar looks like it's shaped exactly like the MSP one... wholesale needs to redesign that bar... they need to make it shaped like the SP20 but thicker!

this is too bad... they advertised something as straight bolt on for SP20 without needing to replace the rear crossmember... that is a lie!
Old 24-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #343
TheMAN

I didn't see you post a comparison pic between both sway bars... so I'm going to put these side by side so we can see the clear differences:

notice how the ends are longer and curved a little? THAT is how the SP20 can use shorter end links and that is the way it needs to be if wholesale suspension wants to make a sway bar that will be a straight bolt on to the SP20 without doing anything else!

now take a look at how my MSP sway bar is mounted on my car:

the way it is positioned, the sway bar will NEVER hit the crossmember, never mind the fact that I'm using the correct matching crossmember with the car

it's late, it's dark, and I'm too tired/lazy to go out and take pics of the sway bar in it's normal position (wheels on the ground), so this bad pic I found will have to do:

As you can see the sway bar is rotated into position and the "racing beat" sticker faces straight towards the rear.... if you recall one of the pics I posted in my autoexe braces thread, it shows the rear sway bar, plenty of clearance from the crossmember and thus, no rubbing at all!
Old 24-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #344
Rhys

Car: 2000 BJ Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
the stock BJ1 endlinks work fine if that sway bar is an exact duplicate of the MSP sway bar.... sounds like it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1.8sp View Post
So are the BJI endlinks longer than the bjII sp20 ones?
My endlinks were shorter than the ones that came with the MSF swaybar... Ben, you're welcome to my old endlinks if you wanna try them but i'm 90% sure they're the same as yours.
Rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #345
Ben

Car: MPS
Stock vs new edwin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
My endlinks were shorter than the ones that came with the MSF swaybar... Ben, you're welcome to my old endlinks if you wanna try them but i'm 90% sure they're the same as yours.
Next time we meet, bring them along and we'll have a geeze just to confirm... I want some thicker adjustable ones anyways for better performance over stock.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #346
TheMAN

no, the BJ1 endlinks REALLY are longer
http://www.themazdaforum.com/showthr...l=1#post121855
the MSF/MSP uses the BJ1 endlinks
Old 24-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #347
BG1.8sp

TheMAN - I already stated that I have put longer endlinks on to correct that issue. Am using the AAC ones. Just uploaded those pics as a reference as tho why the endlinks need to be longer.

Ben - stealing my pic are we
Lol... I have seen that driveway before
Old 25-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #348
TheMAN

like I said... wholesale claiming that this is "like" the MSP sway bar but changed to let you fit it to the SP20 without changing anything else is bollocks! they need to go back to the drawing board!
Old 25-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #349
BG1.8sp

Quote:
like I said... wholesale claiming that this is "like" the MSP sway bar but changed to let you fit it to the SP20 without changing anything else is bollocks! they need to go back to the drawing board!
Yeah, being able to run the stock length endlinks would be nice.
Shouldn't have to run longer endlinks.
I mean even bens hits the subframe on his with stock height.
In saying that.... It is the start of production.

Also ed, can you add some insight about the AWR brackets? As per above Q
Old 25-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #350
TheMAN

read the thread I linked
Old 25-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #351
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Ben, if it comes to the point where your gonna need new endlinks in the rear, I have new stock links (which are I think 20mm longer). Let us know

And for the record, I havent had any dramas with my 20mm Selby RSB since installation
Old 25-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #352
BG1.8sp

So the answer was YES!

Exactly what I assumed. AWR brackets use the existing subframe mounts (one stud/ nut, one bolt. Then the original swaybar brackets use 2 bolts to mount to the AWR bracket.

Would have been shorter and easier jut to quote my post and say "Yes" lol
Old 25-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #353
TheMAN

too much stuff in this thread, sorry I must have missed that question of yours

that bracket was meant to be used with the AWR sway bar (which is the stiffest/largest for our cars)... AWR probably found out during testing that they broke the sway bar mounts on the stock crossmember, which is why they designed those brackets that bolts into the crossmember, then you bolt the sway bar to the brackets... the brackets reinforces the crossmember... it's not quite as strong as welding metal gussets onto the crossmember like mazda did for the mazdaspeeds, but it worked good enough!

the brackets come as a kit with the horseshoe brackets and bushes.... $25
http://store.awrracing.com/products/...placement.html

Last edited by TheMAN; 25-09-2012 at 08:30 AM.
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #354
BG1.8sp

Ahaha no worries
And Ben doesn't mind his thread being cluttered by me... He secretly loves it!
(loves the attention )

So yeah there u go Ben... As above post ^^^^ that's how it works.
Old 25-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #355
TheMAN

the side effect of mazda reinforcing the crossmember for the mazdaspeed is that it moves the sway bar further away from the crossmember, as the mounting points are raised from the metal gussets... so this in effect allows the bigger mazdaspeed sway bar to sit lower and well away from hitting the crossmember

the AWR brackets are no different, except it sits even further lower, which makes the sway bar ends pointing slightly angled upwards instead of parallel to the ground like it's supposed to... but it works fine I guess? that thread I linked from the US board shows what I mean
Old 25-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #356
BG1.8sp

Arrow

Quote:
the side effect of mazda reinforcing the crossmember for the mazdaspeed is that it moves the sway bar further away from the crossmember, as the mounting points are raised from the metal gussets... so this in effect allows the bigger mazdaspeed sway bar to sit lower and well away from hitting the crossmember

the AWR brackets are no different, except it sits even further lower, which makes the sway bar ends pointing slightly angled upwards instead of parallel to the ground like it's supposed to... but it works fine I guess? that thread I linked from the US board shows what I mean
Yep I had a skim through it. With the AAC endlinks would be able to adjust them to be almost parallel with the road. Might have a look into getting them.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #357
Ben

Random picture i never uploaded for some reason....

Mazda SP20 by Photographs_by_Ben, on Flickr

Update while I'm here...Autoexe springs have been purchased..Waiting for the boat to arrive. Rear is squeaking, assuming bushes or endlinks are gone. Dont matter since i was going to get new endlinks anyways.

Also am currently *well rupe is* bidding on a Mazdaspeed Familia Racing Beat front sway bar on the auctions.

OH and the autoexe lip is now off the car since it snapped in two... Kind of gutted but knew it was going to happen, however im planning to get it fixed properly this time round.

Last edited by Ben; 11-10-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #358
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
How on earth do you keep busting that lip on your 4WD? Oops I mean SP20!
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #359
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
How on earth do you keep busting that lip on your 4WD? Oops I mean SP20!
It was busted when I bought it off marc and didn't get it.properly plastic welded when I got it painted...went down a steep driveway and crunched it pretty good and snapped it again. I left it on the car and it just got worse suppose by the pressure cause of the snap.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #360
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Do you know what lpastic it is? I'm just about to buy a plastic welder to do my rear bumper.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote