Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #41
Drift Thorpey

Car: 89 Astina BG DOHC
Nah I need the previous one with 3 wire TPS connection coz I don't have AWD
Looks good for assembled and to my door though. Will consider it seeming as it comes with Software CD and a few other options too.

Mainly just want to be able to accurately keep my fuel levels in check, adjust my rev limit and timing (other parts required obviously) and be able to monitor knock, spark, fuel/air and temps about the place on Ashlee.

I'm a fussy bugger
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #42
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Maybe have a look around for plug n play kits for KF lasers, those would be exactly the same as your car.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #43
Drift Thorpey

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
Maybe have a look around for plug n play kits for KF lasers, those would be exactly the same as your car.
But then it would be a Ford >.>
Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #44
xeon8

Car: 2000 Mazda BJI Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Thorpey View Post
Bled my brakes out as they faded during a recent hills bash with xeon recently and did a tyre rotation while I was at it. Currently below 50% on the now rears and about 75% on my fronts... friggin Bob's.
LOL! Was a good run though

Interesting fact actually, Bob Jane tires are really 'unbranded' Bridgestone tires; I knew a guy who worked at the Bridgestone factory (family friend), who was telling me about the tires, they have a separate line for their actual 'Bridgestone' branded tires and a separate one for their Bob Jane branded tires - The only reason Bob Janes are significantly cheaper than Bridgestones, is because of the branding (as is with all things, really).

2010-2014: 2000 Mazda 323 Protege
2014 - 2016: 1991 Toyota MR2 SW20
2016 - Err, 2016: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina SP20
2016 - Err, uh, 2016: 1991 Mazda MX5 NA
2016 - 2017: 2000 Alfa 916 Spider
2017 - 2018: 2007 Alfa Brera
2018 - Current: 2018 Mazda 3 SP25
xeon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #45
Drift Thorpey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeon8 View Post
LOL! Was a good run though

Interesting fact actually, Bob Jane tires are really 'unbranded' Bridgestone tires; I knew a guy who worked at the Bridgestone factory (family friend), who was telling me about the tires, they have a separate line for their actual 'Bridgestone' branded tires and a separate one for their Bob Jane branded tires - The only reason Bob Janes are significantly cheaper than Bridgestones, is because of the branding (as is with all things, really).
Unfortunately I already knew this bro, having put in 1.5years at the Bob's in Frewville. Twas a rush purchase to get Ashlee off defect and I have been biding my time for 15x8 ET0 and some Toyo Shoes for a while now...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #46
TheMAN

Car: .
Fuzion tyres are also made by Bridgestone... not sure if they're available in oz though... halfway decent budget tyre here
Old 16-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #47
Drift Thorpey

Well I have been a wee slack ass and not posted here for a while. Been and done a few things since then:
Changed gearbox oil:

*insert lube joke here

Old manky fluid

Made a nice change to the feel of the box, although it is quite apparent now that it needs an overhaul. New synchros, and bushes at least.
Then onto actually finishing stage 2 of the stereo install which consists of a new boot install, Dynamat in front doors and boot for now, and rear speakers with sub.
Drivers door

Finished

Boot Gettin Stripped

Wheel well and random cabling

EXIT FROM LE REAR!

Dynamat all over the place

Blaupunkt XLB300A Sub Ghetto tested

Boot floor cut to size on MDF, spray adhesive and staples to attach

Very smooth and happy with the finish, just trimming to cover random pieces of the floor

Installed finished product

Installed GTX803 rear speakers and new parcel shelf fabricated, trimmed and installed

The sub is tied down where you see it now, it's lending itself to having a cone effect of bouncing the sound off the glass and back across the roof to the front of the cabin. Works very well

Vanity shot from a Canon 5D while at work :P

If anyone wants more info on what I've done, leave a comment and I'll answer your query and step you through what I did

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I do playing with my toy

~Chris
Old 16-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #48
xeon8

Car: 2000 Mazda BJI Protege
How much of a difference does the Dynamat make? Parcel shelf looks nice too.

2010-2014: 2000 Mazda 323 Protege
2014 - 2016: 1991 Toyota MR2 SW20
2016 - Err, 2016: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina SP20
2016 - Err, uh, 2016: 1991 Mazda MX5 NA
2016 - 2017: 2000 Alfa 916 Spider
2017 - 2018: 2007 Alfa Brera
2018 - Current: 2018 Mazda 3 SP25
xeon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #49
derb

Nice work mate, very clean!
Old 17-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #50
Drift Thorpey

xeon: I can't stress enough the difference in driving comfort adding Dynamat has given. Agreed that I work at the distributor nationally for Dynamat, but I happily rag on our crap head units (mine for instance) and would only recommend I would spend money on myself. Sound deadening is dead weight in your car, it will make it slower and has no performance benefits at all. However I still want to add more! It has cancelled out an element of drone from my exhaust at irritating RPM levels (high load, low RPM) improved the SQ of my stereo's front stage by reducing vibrations in my doors (less rattles from loose things) and road noise is down quite a bit too. For the $110 for a Door Kit from Autobarn, it's worth checking out and investing in for a trial yourself.
Old 17-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #51
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
The local autobarn wanted $200 for a boot kit, for the same money on eBay you get 2x as much.

Looking nice and clean. Well done! Have you ever tried only using a partial layer of dynamat to lower resonance frequency of the panel and adding an layer of heavy mat, over the top like the serious sound guys seem to suggest?
Old 17-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #52
Drift Thorpey

I'm quite happy for now with the extreme on panels, and if I wanna go further I will get some Dynapad from work which is peel and stick acoustic deadener. IMO not really needed as I still like to hear Ashlee scream her tits off to a degree, I just wanted to block out some of the noises that can make driving irritating sometimes.

Ebay and online sellers are always going to be cheaper than local stores, that being said if you ever have an issue with your product the service you get from online guys especially ones from ebay, will be far less helpful than a store owner whom you have handed over cold cash to.
I have lengthy opinions on this matter but they are for a different thread :P

Stage 3 shall see my sub box modified a bit, new head unit and more tuning, with the remote sub control mounted somewhere helpful.

Then its onto rims and tyres (tax refund sooooooooon), save for coilovers without the missus knowing, with new bushes all round, sway and strut bars and enjoy my little RaceCar come Oct 5th on le track

Keen for track time soooo bad!
Old 22-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #53
Drift Thorpey

GhettoBrakeBleedKit

Before Cleaning

After Cleaning

Starting to strip off the 23yr old dust

New KKR Steering wheel, Momo Shifter

Finally remembered to take a photo of the boot all installed

And thanks to being faulty, my previous AXIS AX1106 is being traded in for a brand new Blaupunkt Toronto410BT. LOVE IT!

Interior scheme will now be Red on White lights

And then this... because he took the effort to Camo an Excel :P

Still playing around with the Hi-Low Level Converter to get the sub up and running. Gonna do a tally of what I've spent on Car audio so far with this car... Keen to see what I've poured in Retail

Last edited by Drift Thorpey; 22-07-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Drift Thorpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #54
Drift Thorpey

Anyone know of good places to get gasket kits from and any in particular to go for/steer away from?
Not too fussed on price, I just wanna do a full service soon and gather all the pieces and bits I need to get the motor back upto specs for another 6 months.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #55
Drift Thorpey

More things done:
Before:

After:

Sprayed Rocker Cover White
Rocker Cover Bolts sprayed Purple
Embossed lettering to be sprayed Black

Exhaust Tape wrapped the headers to cover the ugly scratch from installation, also to maybe lower temps in the engine bay.

Before:

After:

Cleaned up the throttle body and adjusted the accelerator cable because it wasn't quite coming off throttle the whole way, also it now looks way nicer.
Then pulled the injection sticker/plate off and cleaned that all up, light sanding on the plenum.
Already scratched and rooted my new cover ... oh wells... repaint it is.

MoneyShot:

Shameless plug:

Enjoy the lovely photos and progress. I get out on track at Tailem Bend on Sept 29th, and Oct 5th at Mallala Get Keen Peoples!

Last edited by Drift Thorpey; 20-08-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Drift Thorpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #56
derb

Not bad, definitely different. I wonder how quickly the rocker cover will get messed up/dirty though.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #57
Drift Thorpey

It would have been fine, I just attacked the throttle body and plenum with cleaner that was alcohol based, and it ate the paint a bit. The rest can wipe off, but all it needs is a quick rub back and two or three light coats to bring back the finish
Do it laters though