Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 05-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #21
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksp20
just bringing this one back from the dead.

I washed my car again the other day and noticed heaps of water in the usual spot on the carpet. Looking up I actually saw water dripping down the back of the clutch pedal, not the brake like I said earlier.

Since I had my brother handy, I removed the plastic panel from in front of the windscreen. I then shoehorned my big frame into the footwell upside down so I could see up under the dash, meanwhile my bro put the hose lightly onto the area behind the plastic panel, right above where the clutch pedal is. Water then poured down the clutch, so I am confident that this is where the problem lies.

I then looked around under the windscreen and there is a join between two metal panels where the firewall bends up to meet another panel that goes under the dash. The join between the two panels is really the only place where water could get through. I then pushed the clutch pedal and found that the drips actually increased. So I think that there is a very small crack between the two pressed metal plates that is most likely opening more when I push the clutch, as the firewall probably deforms slightly when doing this.

So I am confident in saying that the cure for all our leaking problems is some urethane (not silicone as it doesn't go well with paint) over the join between these two pressed metal plates. I will buy some this week and get back to you all with the outcome.

appologies for the length

blacksp20
Since I suffer from this, I am most eager for you to find a fix for us. I am not sure the pumping of the clutch pedal is causing a deformation that lets water through, you might just be lowering a bridge that lets the water across the pedal? But the amount of water that gets through is quite substantial, it's amazing Madaz has not done a recall for this...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #22
arden

Car: Suby
Hey blackie, did u end up fixin the problem??
Old 06-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #23
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

Send a message via MSN to Melbastina
I've had this issue as well, and I've had it fixed.

My car leaked near the clutch pedal when I washed it or drove in rain as well, I was lazy and told mazda to fix it when they serviced it rather than trying to find it my self.

Really wish I'd listened better to what they said was wrong with it becasue I dont have the service receipt here with me.

Anyway, there is some seal where some things runs through the firewall that commonly gets left out, damaged or not replaced correctly when mazda service guys work on the gearbox. When mazda fixed it for me (a different dealer than the one that had my gearbox out mind you) the guy said it was not common, but was certainly known to happen.

I'll try to get the service receipt back so I can tell you guys exactly what it was, either that or try phoning brighton mazda.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #24
chicaboo

That woulda been nice to know when I was at Mazda today... Anyhow, it is VERY common actually, and mine leaks in a big way, so I can't wait to have my bung replaced!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #25
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

Yeah, a while ago we got some heavy rain down here, I hit a bit a little to fast (was deeper than I thought) and got my feet wet.

Not damp, they were full on wet...
Old 27-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #26
blacksp20

Car: '02 SP20 Astina
guys,

sorry i didn't get back to you.

my sealant trick partially helped but did not solve the problem but it looks like someone else has been the saviour.

now to get that bung replaced...........
Old 27-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #27
chicaboo

Any idea where this bung is, a photo would help too. I've put new door seals on the front of my car, but I really think the leak comes from the firewal...

Gav.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #28
arden

bump for an update!!!

blackie, wot was this sealant u used?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #29
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
my car is suddenly having a wee now too
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #30
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
crap hope mine doesn't start
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #31
arden

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofy View Post
crap hope mine doesn't start
haha u need not worry Dave, u have the Special Edition!!!!!
its just us normal plebs which have to suffer!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #32
woofy

yeah special edition probably leaks in two places.....still its odd that it hasn't started yet.....I thought it might just be hatches but Brads seems to have copped it even though his is younger. I should ask the mechanics at either Mazda place we take the cars to if they have seen it much.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #33
woofy

actually thinking about it, we had our clutch replaced under that recall thing about 20,000km ago, I'm betting they replaced the bung then with a new one. I'm wondering if it's a problem with them perishing over time and maybe I got lucky when ours was replaced not that long ago. Clutch usage might wear it down a big over time, in which case it might just occur only in manuals.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #34
arden

well the leak does spray water all over the clutch petal.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #35
blacksp20

still no progress from me. i have torn out my hair many times over this problem, probably doesn't help that i am 6'5" and the drivers footwell isn't very big

Arden, the sealant i used was the stuff that is used to put windscreens in. it isn't silicon....but the name escapes me right now. it is black and sticky as a bastard. but it didn't solve the problem anyway.

i still believe the leak is somewhere around the clutch mechanism because i have seen the water running down the clutch pedal and it does get worse when i push the clutch in.

bumps for a pic of this elusive rubber bung. Melbastina we are looking at you.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #36
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

The leak is around the clutch, I'll try to find time to give the boys at brighton a ring tomorow about it.

If I can get the old invoice back I'm pretty sure it had a part number on it....

Last edited by Melbastina; 12-04-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Melbastina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #37
arden

Another bump after having a mini flood in car over weekend!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #38
chicaboo

Yeah, I found a solution - get rid of the farken car...
Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #39
arden

hahaa sounds too easy gav
Old 24-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #40
blacksp20

mini flood Arden? I had a small wading pool in my foot well. If only it had heating, I could have invited friends around for a swim.

I had another look under the bonnet the other day after some rain and saw that the entire firewall was dry apart from one little trickle of water that somehow ran horizontally from the drivers side across toward the clutch but it dissapeared under the stupid fibrous sound deadening mat that is attached to the firewall. I will have to pull that bugger off and have a further look.