Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
luk3333

Car: Mazda 323 Astina '02
Legallity of Pod Filters

I read somewhere that if you have a pod filter and a cop inspects your car, you'll get defected. Is this true in Sydney? Will having a CAI get you defected?
luk3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
SP-20-DB

Car: bj sp20 hatchback red
yes this is true. that is if the pod filter is not enclosed by a box like the airfilter box u will be defected if they wanna defect you and to properly get these boxes can be a pain in the a## as they are usually a custom unit and can cost big dollars. ive only ever seen them off the shelf for commodores and even then there hard to find i think big mouth is the company. you can try hiding the pod filter in the gaurd on the left hand side (passenger) there is a hole the goes down in the gaurd. but thats if u wanna risk it but at the end of the day it depends on who pulls u over and if there in a good mood or not. im using just a Kn'N pannel filter and ive noticed a difference. im gunna do some more customising to the stock intake i have already cut all the restrictions out of the mouth and made it all straight thru to the filter but and going to do some repiping and turn the bend around and get some piping to under the car and get more cold air in =]
SP-20-DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
These dayt all. They do is send you to full inspection that's what you want to avoid.if you get done for intake you are either busted. For silly shot or seen/HEARD doing silly shot. The epa type inspection is one to avoid. That leads to real shot.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
phunkdust
AstinaGT Regular

Car: SP20
I reckon I got pulled over once because a nice police man in an unmarked car heard the 'chuff' of the intake as I got on the loud pedal. Because the rest of my car isn't ricey he probably didn't think it'd be worth inspecting it.

As always, you will only get caught with illegal bits if you attract attention to yourself, eg a cannon muffler is pretty much like having a megaphone strapped to your car saying PLEASE PULL ME OVER
phunkdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
i dunno bout down there but in queensland you can have a pod filter it just has to be firmly secured. no need for an airbox

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
luk3333

Car: Mazda 323 Astina '02
What if you made a custom airbox, glassed and painted so it looks proper? Do you think they'd defect you
luk3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
phunkdust
AstinaGT Regular

If they can't see the pod, they can't really do ****.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoru View Post
i dunno bout down there but in queensland you can have a pod filter it just has to be firmly secured. no need for an airbox
Same goes for SA apparently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk3333 View Post
What if you made a custom airbox, glassed and painted so it looks proper? Do you think they'd defect you
Yeah that should be fine
Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk3333 View Post
Cops can defeact you on what ever they like. a defeact notice can't be taken to court and said - it was incorrect. because the Law protects the police by saying or stipulating it was questionable. 90% of courts would say why were you pulled over in first place.

Which leads back too- Is a POD filter Illigal by definition of laws of NSW YES -If not all ALL 90% of aftermarket filters are legal due to OIL being used as part of the filtering medium. Irony it's standard on Motorbikes?
It's an old part of it being a if the car Backfires through the intake - does happen on EFI too. a flame can cause it to catch fire.

Filters are said to be correctly mounted and encloused from the engine bay does not mean they can't suck in hot air. Under the new EPA setup I'm actually under the impression - it's still not legal. due to what they call envirnmental hazard or some crap. But I do know I went through it recently and my stock airbox is feed by pipe but I keep the factory feed and joined both. It passed but they did a deep look and I had a paper filter in the box. used it as oportunity to clean my other one.

I can go on about it. but I did not get done by cops. Someone noticed or similar my car and it was over. Might of even been the Truck microphones on some HI-ways. 90% positive my neighbour but ?

the main issue is not to get done in the first place. obvious stuff like breaking road rules you will cop the defeact. Too low - too ugly too what ever they don't like. Keep it clean No stupid lights - stickers etc. If you ask for it they will give it too you.

Just remember to be as Good a Australian - White - Christian and not a anything like an american wannabe or I'm so right your so wrong because I'm a tax payer. Especially in NSW and if cop has worked in Sydney basin - they will hurt you because they can.
be that and you can drive a Poripherial port RX-7 S3 down Parramatta road on weekend and have the lancer pulled over and Not you.

every 2nd car in sydney now has an exhuast. even camrys driven by Indians. Guess what wrong cop wrong day. Seen them get defeacted.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
phunkdust
AstinaGT Regular

I love that EPA rule.

Oiled filters are bad because a little bit of oil might get sucked in and burnt by the engine.

But it's OK to have disposable paper filters just thrown into landfill?
Old 13-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkdust View Post
I love that EPA rule.

Oiled filters are bad because a little bit of oil might get sucked in and burnt by the engine.

But it's OK to have disposable paper filters just thrown into landfill?
EPA don't like anything not tested - in fact in NSW it's Enviroment and Climate change board or some crap.
Old 15-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
last i checked not all filters are oiled...
eg my pod filter is not an oiled filter its just a washable one where as my mate has a mushroom looking one (hks i think) which is oiled and THAT has to have its own airbox ect

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
phunkdust
AstinaGT Regular

Yep AEMs aren't oiled I think