Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 21-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
FissionNZ

Car: 1995 Lantis
Unhappy Help needed - issue with engine intermittently missing/losing power

Hey everyone - new to the forums here, just making a post because I'm having some car troubles, and wondered if anyone could help me.

My car is a 1995 Mazda Lantis, 1800cc manual, and the problem is that after about 15-20 minutes of driving, the engine starts intermittently missing and losing power.

It happens whether I'm driving along the road at 50-60km/h or on the motorway at 100, always at around the same time, after 15 minutes or so of driving.

It's been a recurring problem over the past 2 or 3 weeks.

The sputtering/power loss usually comes in spells of about 30 seconds each. There is no issue if the car is in neutral or if I'm coasting, but whenever my foot is on the gas while it's happening, the rev counter jumps rapidly from regular driving speed (2000-2500 revs in 4th on the road, 3000 in 5th on the motorway) and neutral (~1000 revs.) The car shakes as if it can't decide whether it should be accelerating or in neutral, and it makes for a really uncomfortable drive.

If I have to stop the car or drive at low speeds, like stopping at a red light or slowing down for a pedestrian crossing, the car stalls when I try to drive off again. If it happens at high speed on the motorway, I can normally power through it, and it will go back to normal operation after that 30 second period.

There is generally no issue for the rest of the journey. It only tends to happen once each trip until I turn the car off, then it's like the "timer" resets and it'll happen again after another 15 minutes when I drive off again.
There are no warning lights on the dashboard, temperature is perfectly normal when the car is running, oil is fine, coolant is fine, fuel level is fine. I haven't changed to a new type of fuel at all. I've checked all the leads in the engine and everything I can see is connected just fine. I've opened up and completely cleaned out the mass air flow filter and sensor.

I really don't know what else to try from here. Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Cheers guys

Tom
FissionNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Abaddon

Car: White 1996 Astina Hatch 1.8L Man
Checked your spark plugs? Checked leads for sparks jumping where they shouldn't (how old are the plugs/leads)? What did you clean the MAF with?

Cleaned your throttle body? Throttle position sensor?

Cleaned the EGR valve?

Start pulling connectors and contact cleaning.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Abaddon

Car: White 1996 Astina Hatch 1.8L Man
Checked your distributor?