Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 21-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Evilist

Car: Mazda 323
85' Mazda 323 XG project

This is my car when i got it about 4 years ago

The standard E3 Motor was replaced with this B5 sohc one from a 323 wagon but i got bored fast

Since then I have done minor mods to it,

and this is how it is atm, all that needs to be done is wire up the BP and the fuel pump also weld up the exhaust

Last edited by Evilist; 11-05-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Evilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 21-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Welcome bro!

very interesting. Nothing like adding a bit of modern stick to these old girls! Good on ya! I support you all the way

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Evilist

Thanks dude I love these cars I WANT MORE haha as you can see i have a wagon as well.

Stuff i have done to my car

Interior:
GTX front Seats
Aftermarket steering wheel
Sony Head deck
sounds ect ect

Exterior:
Face-lift tail lights
BFMR headlights modded to fit my fenders
Spoiler

Engine:
EFI tank, lines, fuel pump
BP 1800cc motor
B6 Sohc gearbox(I know LOL)
Passenger drive shaft Shortend

BFMP Disc Brake conversion
rebuilt brake master cylinder
more stuff to come
Old 21-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
damn looks very neat and tidy. if a BP fits, then when you get bored of that you can go BPT!
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Evilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
damn looks very neat and tidy. if a BP fits, then when you get bored of that you can go BPT!
I all ready have plans to turbo this, the manifold is getting made next week haha. The BPT is boring and out of date. I like the l8r model BP motors more because they are stronger than the BPT, other than rods and pistons this block is pretty much the same as the BPD, oh and the head is different obviously
Old 21-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
NaughtyGT

do tell more? I like a guy that says "The BPT is boring and out of date"....hmmmmm! Very BOLD statement mate! Bp stronger, now you'll have to expound. I would say the head is surely different.

Sounds very promiscuos, seeing as though the BPD's can handle >500hp stock! Even the BPT's handle HP like I handle a beer!

My little B6T incidently aint a walk-over motor @ 7500rpm with <900kgs to pull!

I think this will be an exciting intro to astinaGT. More than welcome I'm sure

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 21-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
derb

apart from the difference in compression i'm sure the BP and BPT are identical. BPD is a whole other kettle of fish though. they were hand built from memory and rods/pistons/valves/etc are all different. but you won't make friends hating on the BPT here. at least not with me or naughty

Last edited by derb; 21-07-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 21-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
or alot of other members who have bpts jokes hehe
welcome to agt mate, it looks like a interesting project. do explain the difference between the bpt (up to 94 built yeah?) and a lets say 97 BP..
Old 22-07-2009, 03:52 AM   #9
Evilist

There are a couple of BPs the early BG ones are called the BP1 and you get a BP2, the BP2 is the later model motor out of a BA/BH etc, The internals well rods on a BPT are weak and cant even handle 15psi. The BP2 shares a similar crank as a BPD and also uses similar oil squirters, also uses the same oil pump. The BP1 which is the BPT motor and older model BG BPs they use a different crank oil pump setup and aslo uses shorter oil squirters. The BP1 has a weaker crankshaft keyway. If i was to build a motor that could handle a lot of power i would rather use the later model motor 1995+ due to it being newer as well. Some people in the US with the MX5 BPs they make 500HP+ which is bloody awesome. But the best way to make that power is by getting that head.

The heads well a lot of people say the NA head is better for power gains but others say it wont make much of a difference. But as some would know the turbo head has a little notch in the inlet where as the NA one doesn't, this can effect power. :P

the setup i have planned for this motor is

BPD rods(got some sitting in the garage)
Forged pistons
GTR head(maybe)
Custom intake plenum
Link ECU

I'm not saying the BPT is bad its an awesome motor, got some good scares from them haha. I was actually gonna get one for this car but decided to do something not many people have done yet. I know a lot of people whit BPTs lol I don't want people hating me already I'm just saying that i know and found out over the past 2 years. :P I love these motors and I'm one of those people who search and search for the right stuff. I really don't like wasting money on things haha.

Last edited by Evilist; 22-07-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 22-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #10
NaughtyGT

Quote:
I love these motors and I'm one of those people who search and search for the right stuff. I really don't like wasting money on things haha.
Mate, couldn't agree more! I started my project for that exact reason in the first place. Dead-ends; $$$ every turn & although heartbreaking to get rid of my awesome V6, I've learnt to take it easy, search, ask, listen etc, kinda test the water before jumpin' in

sounds like you know your stuff but, still, comments stir others to react bro! I've learnt that the hard way & to post comments on neutral ground unless I can further explain my point, as you did with next post.

anyway, sounds like a hell of a project evil. You must really luv the car or are keen for a project. Waiting in anticipation for each stage, pics pls as you do cause' I'd imagine plenty of people reading it will benefit totally. I say awesome bro!

P.S. I luv the BPD GTRs', sorry Gav but, I do Just think they look awesome & still, super modern

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 22-07-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 27-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
Evilist

FINALLY STARTED MY CAR!!! , It has rough idle tho can anyone help me with that? I'm not sure if its the spark plug leads? crappy spark plugs? a leak somewhere in the vac lines? Stuffed Coil?
Old 30-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Evilist

well my car is running well so far so hope it goes good

just a question for power/sound what do you guys recommend for a BP motor atm i have a 2.5" exhaust on it, it seem too noisy for me but still within legal limits( I Hope) The 2.25" exhaust would it change the sound by a lot?
Old 30-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
derb

would make it quieter, but the sound only really changes due to the muffler/resonators, the cat converter or by making the pipe design as straight as possible.
Old 30-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
2 inch is big enough for a BP engine. although you have a 94-98 BP engine, the VICS puts some good air in there at higher rpm, so it could benefit from a 2.25 inch exhaust.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
derb

pretty much what project.r said. for reference i run a 2.25" on my BPT and it's a perfect size.
Old 31-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Evilist

yeah its got some great power. Blew the gearbox on the first test run so more work for me.. But loving it 70ks 3 gear no traction lol damn 13" rims

Last edited by Evilist; 31-07-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 31-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
karamello

Car: Mazda 323 Astina BG
Send a message via MSN to karamello
very clean car, and i like the old school/original styling with the red accents too

should ditch the bp and put in a rotary!
karamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
derb

gorgeous engine bay mate, how clean does it wanna be! and no rotaries please, there are enough chook cookers out there. :P
Old 31-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
Evilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
gorgeous engine bay mate, how clean does it wanna be! and no rotaries please, there are enough chook cookers out there. :P
haha, please no rotaries unreliable. This motor will be coming out soon again when i get some money sorted. Going to get a full rebuild with GTR rods, Forged pistons, ported and polished head, 262 cams and custom intake. I'll be running N/A for a bit till i get used to this setup this car is very light. Will also be getting a 1800cc gearbox and shafts.

EDIT: Found what was the problem with my idle and why my engine cutout when i was driving. Damn airflow meter is stuffed

Last edited by Evilist; 31-07-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 31-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
i love those wheels mate, what are they? actual alloys or just some hectic steelies?
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote