Ok, so I got my new car and from my understanding the speaker sizes are

Front
5 x 7''

Rear
6''

Center
Unsure

I own a '97 323 Astina.

If you need more infomation to help me identify what speakers I need please ask.

Check out my speaker choice and advise me:

Subwoofer

And if i can get 6.5'' in a (Belived) 6'' Slot

Rears

Fronts

Sub Amp

Speaker Amp
Astina Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Check out the sticky for info on the standard speakers. The majority of 6.5" speakers should fit in the back fine. You don't HAVE to stay with 5x7" in the front as a baffle will allow you to fit a 6 or 6.5" speaker, which will give you a much larger range to choose from.

The main speakers amp looks great, but the subwoofer / sub amp is a bad match up.

That sub will run at 1 or 4 ohm and can handle 600W RMS (And rockford are well known for under quoting power handling of subs). That amp can only go as low as 2ohm and at 4 ohm (which is what you'd use it for) only produces 150W. At 150W you would be seriously underdriving the speaker and would almost certainly end up overdriving the amp sending a clipped signal to the speaker and burning it out. I'd suggest getting something like a P2 series sub (or 2 of them). These subs still thump out some great bass, they may be rated at 250W RMS but I've run a couple of them with 600W RMS for quite a while and they were still going strong.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit

Last edited by chipa; 25-03-2007 at 12:43 AM.
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Astina Andy

Car: '97 BA Astina
Send a message via MSN to Astina Andy
Ok thanks, i'm new to cars, and car audio, so thanks for explaining, i do understand a little about speakers. And i wasnt thinking about power when i choose my amp. just how friggen much they cost!!
Old 25-03-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
chipa
Crazy Member

No hassles, cost can be a factor, but a cheap amp with a mid/high sub is a receipe for disaster, and can easily end up costing more money when you have to replace the sub.

Old 25-03-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
chipa
Crazy Member

BTW, is there any reason you want Rockford for all the speakers?

Old 25-03-2007, 12:58 AM   #6
Astina Andy

Not really, I just thought they were a good reliable brand.
Old 25-03-2007, 01:19 AM   #7
chipa
Crazy Member

They do make good bang for buck subs and their amps are not bad either. I've never really come across their full range speakers tho, so whilst I cannot say they are bad, the fact that I haven't seen them in use usually suggests something.

If you're new to car audio, I would suggest going to a good shop for advice. Also make sure you listen to a speaker and see what you like best. Buying Rockford just 'cause you heard it was good can be a sure way to get a system that you wont like.

This would a good place to start to find a quality installer: http://www.caraudiomasters.com.au

Old 25-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
skitz
I'm not as dumb as my posts would indicate

Car: astina ba 97
Send a message via MSN to skitz
hey man welcome to the forum...

i totally agree with chipa...

but i personally like that sub if you can afford an amp to Actually power it.

try looking at other brands there is nothing wrong with haveing a bit of this and a bit of that.

not too much of a fan of the fronts you picked. if you are planing on staying with the 5X7" i think there are much better options out there. unless your not after splits

but yeah go by ur ears go and listen to some and see what you like

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Wakefield Park: 1:14.8100

skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
carlmuldal

Car: 323 Astina, 1.6 16v
another site that i found to be really good for advise on what to buy (and if you want to install yourself, how to get the most out of your speakers) was talkaudio, its uk based but they really do know what there on about.

What head unit you got? still factory or have you upgraded?

have you thought of component speakers (think you guys call em splits) for the front and just a midbass speaker for the back? i found that i like that best.

For fronts itd go DLS or rainbow splits, amped up by a genesis amp if you can, if not then DLS or alpine. presonally id leave the back and speand all that money on better front speakers. maybe amp up the old stock speakers but thats up to you.

rainbow, DLS, focal are very good brands for speakers, also eDaudio are pretty highly rated for value for sound quality.

Hope this helps, best thing is to do is go find a good shop (one that doesnt sell you leagcy amp and other 100000000w speakers) and have a listen, take your own music aswell cause different speakers suit different styles.
carlmuldal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
Astina Andy

Hey Thanks for all the help, since posting the original ive figured out i have a BA!
Old 26-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
Fhrx

Car: 200SX
Now some brands I would recommend adding to your audition list (do still include Rockford too) for your budget (some you'll need to raise the budget for if possible) include:

Speakers & subs:
Treo
Oz Audio
Digital Designs
Boston
Diamond Audio
DynAudio
Hertz
Focal
DLS
Infinity
Crossfire
Morel
Vibe
Earthquake
Phoenix Gold
Polk Audio
Phass
Eton
Rainbow
Lotus

Amplifiers:
Audio System
Audison
Diamond Audio
Boston
DLS
Crossfire
Infinity
Phoenix Gold
Treo
ARC Audio
Zapco
Tru-Tech
Milbert
Digital Designs
Vibe
Earthquake

Let your ears do the decision making. Remember the key is to listen to as many products as you can and let your own ears decide for you. There is no special scientific formula behind the choice. Just go with what you like the sound of. Please don't just take my word for it. My opinion is only one of many. Other audiophiles may well have totally different tastes. Check the products out yourself and see if you remain with the afore mentioned ones or you settle on something else.

Just one last thing I'll mention is in relation to chipa’s comment. Be very careful of who you entrust your ride too because 60% of our work here comes from fixing other shops installs and a frightening proportion of them are Car Audio Masters members. Not insinuating all the CAM affiliated shops are like that of course, just warning that you should thoroughly check out many stores and go with the one you like the best.
Old 26-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
Astina Andy

Right, I got a plan now! I'm going down to WoW Sight and Sound, gonna listen to heaps of systems, find out what my ears like, then start the saving. Ive just got enough for my rego, fully comp insurance and 12 driving lessons!
Old 01-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #13
stock is best

Car: 97' Astina BA Hatch
if you put the same speakers in the back and front, what would be the result? would it ruin the sound?
stock is best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
chipa
Crazy Member

It wouldn't actually ruin the sound, but it is quite likely that the sound stage (where you perceive the sound to come from) would not be towards the windscreen where it should be.