Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 29-11-2004, 09:41 PM   #1
shojun

A bunch of questions for you all

1994 Mazda Lantis, 1.8L etc etc. Questions - what oil would you recommend? What grade? And if I'm getting a quick tap-tap-tap-tap noise, is that likely the hydraulic lifters or something else, and if so, what can I do to alleviate the issue? Thanks all.

Mark
shojun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-11-2004, 10:01 PM   #2
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
G'day Mark,

Welcome to the forums mate.. In answer to your questions....

1. What Oil? - MAny brands to choose from.. Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Formula R Synthetic [is what i'm running], Penrite.. yada yada yada.. How deep is your pocket?

2. What Grade/Viscosity?? - 5W-40 is the usual choice here for AGT competitors.. I run 10W-60 for that little bit extra protection.. It's a little thicker on startup, but once it's warm it's very similar performance wise and offers better protection..

3 & 4. Tappet noise? - yes it's the lifters.. a good sign to change your oil as soon as possible!

Regards
Adam

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Mizda_Mazda
AstinaGT Regular

Car: ...
Send a message via MSN to Mizda_Mazda
Or atleast add oil,

apparently there's some additive that you can put inside your engine oil that does something and stops the noise, i haven't used it myself.
Mizda_Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 04:13 AM   #4
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Welcome to AGT Mark
Definately change the oil, this is one place that you should never get stingy, I change mine every 5000ks. It may not stop the tapping noise as once the HLAs have worn then its going to be the music of your motors choice. Changing them isnt the smalest job or the cheapest but you may wish to do so down the track. This is where you say to yourself "what do I want out of my engine?" if outright performance comes to mind then you may look to solid lifters and reap the benefits of your top end power.
But the noise is just something to live with............for now
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
nalawa
DBF

Hi Mark,

Remembered your question and thought I would let you know what the manual says while I had it out:

API Service SG grade engine oil 10W-30 which covers a temperature range of -20 to over 50 degrees C.

Checked the Caltex ready reckoner and it suggested Havoline Premium Plus which is an API SL/CF 10W-30 for BA 1800cc Model Astinas

Of note is that SH,SJ and SL are the current API Gradings, the SG has been superseded by these.

Hope this helps
nalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #6
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalawa
Of note is that SH,SJ and SL are the current API Gradings, the SG has been superseded by these.
Hey nalawa,

Could you please explain those gradings for people who don't know.. Like myself :wink:

Cheers
Adam

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #7
nalawa
DBF

Hi Adam,

Wasn't sure myself before I went searching for tha answer on the internet. API is the American Petroleum Institute and the following list is a very short precis of the various grades. I have then included some info from www.lubrizol.com which gives a more detailed explanation.

The following Category/Status/Service list indicates the performance ratings:

SL — Current — For all automotive engines presently in use.

SJ — Current — For 2001 and older automotive engines.

SH — Obsolete — For 1996 and older engines.

SG — Obsolete — For 1993 and older engines.

SF — Obsolete — For 1988 and older engines.

SE — Obsolete — For 1979 and older engines.

SD — Obsolete — For 1971 and older engines.

SC — Obsolete — For 1967 and older engines.

SB — Obsolete — For older engines.

SA — Obsolete — For older engines.

From Lubrizol

"In the U.S., API administers the licensing and certification of engine oils through a system that meets the warranty, maintenance and lubrication requirements of original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). Engine oil performance requirements, test methods, limits for the various classifications and testing processes are established cooperatively by the OEMs, oil marketers, additive companies and testing laboratories."

SA — Formerly for Utility Gasoline and Diesel Engine Service (Obsolete) — Category SA denotes service typical of older engines operated under such mild conditions that the protection afforded by compounded oils is not required. This category has no performance requirements, and oils in this category should not be used in any engine unless specifically recommended by the equipment manufacturer.

SB — Minimum-Duty Gasoline Engine Service (Obsolete) — Category SB denotes service typical of older engines operated under such mild conditions that only minimum protection afforded by compounding is desired. Oils designed for this service have been used since the 1930s and provide mild antiscuff capability and resistance to oil oxidation and bearing corrosion. They should not be used in any engine unless specifically recommended by the equipment manufacturer.

SC — 1964 Gasoline Engine Service (Obsolete) — Category SC denotes service typical of gasoline engines in 1964 through 1967 models of passenger cars and some trucks, operating under engine manufacturers' warranties in effect during those model years. Oils designed for this service provide control of high and low-temperature deposits, wear, rust, and corrosion in gasoline engines.

SD — 1968 Gasoline Engine Service (Obsolete) — Category SD denotes service typical of gasoline engines in 1968 through 1970 models of passenger cars and some trucks, operating under engine manufacturers' warranties in effect during those model years. This category may also apply to certain 1971 or later models as specified (or recommended) in the owners'manuals. Oils designed for this service provide more protection against high and low-temperature deposits, wear, rust, and corrosion in gasoline engines than oils that are satisfactory for API Engine Service Category SC and may be used when API Engine Service Category SC is recommended.

SE — 1972 Gasoline Engine Service (Obsolete) — Category SE denotes service typical of gasoline engines in passenger cars and some trucks beginning with 1972 and certain 1971 through 1979 models operating under engine manufacturers' warranties. Oils designed for this service provide more protection against oil oxidation, high-temperature engine deposits, rust, and corrosion in gasoline engines than oils that are satisfactory for API Engine Service Categories SD or SC and may be used when either of these categories is recommended.

SF — 1980 Gasoline Engine Service (Obsolete) — Category SF denotes service typical of gasoline engines in passenger cars and some trucks beginning with 1980 through 1989 models operating under engine manufacturers' recommended maintenance procedures. Oils developed for this service provide increased oxidation stability and improved antiwear performance relative to oils that meet the minimum requirements of API Service Category SE. These oils also provide protection against engine deposits, rust, and corrosion. Oils meeting API Service Category SF may be used when API Engine Service Categories SE, SD, or SC are recommended.

SG — 1989 Gasoline Engine Service (Obsolete) — Category SG denotes service typical of gasoline engines in passenger cars, vans and light trucks operating under manufacturers' recommended maintenance procedures. Category SG oils include the performance properties of API Service Category CC. (Certain manufacturers of gasoline engines require oils that also meet the higher diesel engine Category CD.) Oils developed for this service provide improved control of engine deposits, oil oxidation, and engine wear relative to oils developed for previous categories. These oils also provide protection against rust and corrosion. Oils meeting API Service Category SG may be used when API Engine Service Categories SF, SE, SF/CC, or SE/CC are recommended.

SH — 1994 Gasoline Engine Service — Category SH was adopted in 1992 to describe engine oil first mandated in 1993. It is for use in service typical of gasoline engines in present and earlier passenger cars, vans and light trucks operating under vehicle manufacturers' recommended maintenance procedures. Engine oils developed for this category provide performance exceeding the minimum requirements of API Service Category SG, which it is intended to replace, in the areas of deposit control, oil oxidation, wear, rust, and corrosion. Oils meeting API SH requirements have been tested according to the American Chemistry Council (ACC) Product Approval Code of Practice and may utilize the API Base Oil Interchange and Viscosity Grade Engine Testing Guidelines. They may be used where API Service Category SG and earlier categories are recommended. Effective August 1, 1997, API SH cannot be used except with API CF, CF-2, CF-4 or CG-4 when displayed in the API service symbol, and the C category must appear first.

SJ — 1997 Gasoline Engine Service — Category SJ was adopted in 1996 to describe engine oil first mandated in 1997. It is for use in service typical of gasoline engines in present and earlier passenger cars, vans and light trucks operating under vehicle manufacturers' recommended maintenance procedures. Oils meeting API SJ requirements have been tested according to the American Chemistry Council (ACC) Product Approval Code of Practice and may utilize the API Base Oil Interchange and Viscosity Grade Engine Testing Guidelines. They may be used where API Service Category SH and earlier categories are recommended.

SL — 2001 Gasoline Engine Service — Category SL was adopted to describe engine oils for use in 2001. It is for use in service typical of gasoline engines in present and earlier passenger cars, sport utility vehicles, vans and light trucks operating under vehicle manufacturers' recommended maintenance procedures. Oils meeting API SL requirements have been tested according to the American Chemistry Council (ACC) Product Approval Code of Practice and may utilize the API Base Oil Interchange and Viscosity Grade Engine Testing Guidelines. They may be used where API Service Category SJ and earlier categories are recommended.
Old 30-11-2004, 08:22 PM   #8
nalawa
DBF

Also realised I hadn't given my real name before which is Christopher, Chris or have even been called C. Hunt (with a silent H)

Nalawa is actually Sydney Aboriginal meaning to Hunt (my surname).

Chris
Old 01-12-2004, 08:05 PM   #9
Pernod
AstinaGT Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Pernod
Evening Mark,

I knew if I nagged you enough, and then confused you with trying to explain hydrolic lifters over the phone, you'd eventyally crack and join here so you could aske the guys that know what they are on about!

Have you changed the oil yet - has it stopped the ticking?
Come visit me at http://s2.co.nz/
---------------------------------
Pernod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:14 PM   #10
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I have to ask.

You have used the search facility and looked up tappets and HLA, please say you have.

Cos I'm normaly willing to help but once I've participated in answering similar questions a few times I loose the will, you know what im talkin' 'bout.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:00 AM   #11
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
I'm using Motul - i think I bought 10/40 last time.

Its great stuff and i reccomend it but its not cheap ...
Dogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:15 AM   #12
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
Currently using Valvoline XLD Engine Armour. 15W40. Have used Penrite in the past...
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:15 AM   #13
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
currently using Penrite 5W-40 semi synthetic.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote