Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Introduce yourself

Old 16-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #21
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
4ORGD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORGD View Post
welcome to AGT.. i remember seeing this car for sale does it have one odd rim??
Yeah that's it, it looked crap on advert but, up close it is the real deal! I overlooked it for weeks wanting another & checking out 2 others for sale. A GTX & another GT but they wern't in the hunt. This has fresh paint & exedy clutch so, no comparison to others, the other GT body was iffy & had been painted in the backyard of a drug dealer I think?

I am facinated with the Astina GT, have you got one? How many were actually made? I heard 20? Is his true? I loved the stock production cars when they were new back in 92' when I was detailing stock ones for a major MAZDA/VOLVO dealer in Mt Gravatt, Brisbane QLD! They were a tight suspensioned lil dude mainly in Crimson or Torguoise colour. I am guessing the GT was a 1.8L BPT motor basically?

hey project.r.racing

These were an old-school maniac lil car really for their day! Bit underpowered if compared to VR4's or the likes today but, will still hang in there with Supra T's & V8 C'dores if driven right, read on the web the times they used the B6T in the Festiva's etc too. Check this, the only bad rap they got by car watchdogs was: "too much torque for a 2WD car that light,,,,hahahahaha, what about today's cars man, WOW, they'd ave a fit.

Bit a' History for anyone interested in the oldies???,,,,From 82'-85' BD models (possibly pre-82' but don't know much about these) Mazda had these 323's to offer:
a) Stock 1.3L 4 speed (beat Snails & the odd GrassHoppers), then,
b) 1.5L with 5 Speed, hmmmm (good, reliable motors, yes)
c) SS Model, wooooowww, 1.5L had twin Carbs, I actually owned a real knocked-about one, remember boggin the right rear q'ter panel for RWC, hehehe, but they hammered for they're day, rev out oK!
d) Enter the DS (Deluxe Special) they come in Autos too, not too bad though, yep, had one of them too, (Auto to boot!) in pretty good nick. Had Elec S/Roof, PS & A/Con & woven seats. Mine was Silver with Black/red Interior.
A mate also had a Black Laser S (exact same as Mazda SS). Noone knew of the SS just the Laser S in Aus back then!

86'-89' era of the BF's ---- NOW....The GT & GTX were the only I know of that had Elec Windows, standard anyway for there day.
So, GT & GTX came standard with following:
Electric Windows; Electric Sunroof; PS; Air/Con; 4 Wheel Disc Brakes & only option I know of was the Rally-Suspension-Pack that mine has.

Also, generally, for those that don't know,,,,, GT's were the FWD (2WD) version of the 4WD GTX's, ((as pointed out earlier by chicaboo)) fitted with B6T engines (1.6L DOHC 16 Valve F/Inj Engines coupled with IHI Turbos) mine has VJ14 Turbo, although some were less fortunate with the lesser spec turbos they come out with (10s, 11s,12s etc). These FWD versions are rarer (only made for 1 year?) & quicker (due to being >120 kgs lighter) than the GTX! To be fair though, the GTX was purpose built for the rally track & would outhandle the GT anyday but, on a straight-line, the GT was almost 1 sec quicker to 100kph!

The PUZZLE is::: There is no literature I know available on these atual GT Hatches ebver being made! FIGURE?!?

If any of this is wrong pls let me know?

Long-winded but, I hav'nt owned one of these ol girls for sooo long & we just bought a Chrysler PT Cruiser for my wife, cause she loves them & always wanted one,,,,,dear dear I know....like drivin' a tank but, has some coolness & looks great I guess. Funny thing is,,,,when I'm drivin PT, I wish I had the 323 to stick up peoples rear that **** me on the road REGULARLY, or overtake them at least. YOU CAN NOT OVERTAKE ANYTHING IN A PT CRUISER, BEWARE & NEVER TRY OR YOU MAY DIE!!!!!!!

P.S. Thanks all for quick response & the great welcome you guys gave me yesterday, proves your a great bunch, Cheers!
Catch up soon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 16-06-2009 at 09:10 AM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #22
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
my bro had a 323 deluxe special as his 1st car. blue interior, central lockig, 1.5L auto, 82 model.
and a friend had a 2 door Laser S with a twin carb E5 motor.

but i think BDs didn't come on the market until 1985/86? then BFs were 87/88?

//edit// I'm so not up with my 80s 323s. BDs came out in 1980? Same as KA/KB Lasers?

Last edited by project.r.racing; 16-06-2009 at 08:56 AM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #23
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
my bro had a 323 deluxe special as his 1st car. blue interior, central lockig, 1.5L auto, 82 model.
and a friend had a 2 door Laser S with a twin carb E5 motor.

but i think BDs didn't come on the market until 1985/86? then BFs were 87/88?

//edit// I'm so not up with my 80s 323s. BDs came out in 1980? Same as KA/KB Lasers?
Yep, If I remember, 82-85 was BD (1.5 SOHC) then, 86-89 were the BF (1.6 SOHC) models. I'll do some checking, they all started about 1980 with the wedge-shaped look & FWD for the first time. I've only owned them 82' models & up!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 16-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #24
NaughtyGT

DOES ANYONE ANYWHERE NO HOW THESE 2 Door Hatch 2wd GTs' CAME ABOUT???????

No Mazda early literature has them mentioned, only in 4 Door Sedan
Model! Even 323 Forums have inconsistent data etc

any idea chicaboo?

btw, is it cold up in Q'Land....Im puttin Central Heating on now man..........frig!

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 16-06-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 16-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #25
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I think the 2WD GT/Turbo was just released as an economical option for those not wanting the expense of the 4WD package. Ford went a step further by not putting the adjustable suspension on the 2WD Turbos as well. So it was just an intermediate package between the NA and 4WD turbos.

Its about 9C by the time I'm driving to work in the morning, so it's prolly 3C or so colder at 5am or thereabouts.

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #26
NaughtyGT

still don't make sence Gav, the GTX came out in 87' & GT in 88', the sedan GT may have come out in 86' but not the hatch, I'm after info on the hatch
Stretchin the memory, I'm sure they had a Laser Turbo in the KB series approx 84', woulda been attache to the 1.5L

Gav, are you in Logan Bris? I lived in Springwood & Rochedale for 15 years man, cool!

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 16-06-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 16-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #27
chicaboo

The first turbo Laser was the E5T powered "White Lightning" KB Laser in 84 or 85. The KC was atmo only, and then in 87 the KE TX3 Turbos were released.

Yeah mang, I live in Logan, and also lived at Mt Gravatt East for a few years too. I miss MGE, I hate living in Logan these days.

Gav.
Old 16-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #28
NaughtyGT

that's so cool Gav, I been up MGMountain a few times, & down hehe Garden City was my hang for shopping, Can't beat Mt Tambourine though for winding fast ey? Yeah, Logan sux a bit, Woodridge & Kingston now they're treats aint they what? Coppers are real good, NOT. Anyhow yeah the ol' white lightnin' wooohoooooo hang on to ya nuts! SOHC job some even mated engine with carb/s eeeooooww, Inj ones woulda been OK I suppose compared to Sigmas back then hahahaha. Still, a relic is a legend is a relic (maybe even if in it's own right anyway)!

P.S. That info above was merely off top of my head

Great to chat with someone from my ol' woods cool! I grew up in Springwood & Rochedale. That's where I cut my teeth so-to-speak, teen years

Awesome, I do miss Brissy sometimes

Old 16-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #29
NaughtyGT

May just keep the stock stilted suspension after all, it slams through rough corners & potholes, so cool, just gotta get used to the ride height, bloody fun though yeeeehaaaaar

Old 16-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #30
chicaboo

I don't think the height is that bad. I have the Dobisport lowering springs on mine and I hate them with a passion. They give extremely good handling and balance, but are rough as guts to live with. I will be putting stock springs back on soon. The car will go back to being undsteerish after that, but I will be able to tolerate them.

Gav.
Old 16-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #31
NaughtyGT

Agreed Gav! I think I'm already growing to like the ride. My last car was so low & stiff, you needed a kidney belt for the dips & "potholes", sheeeeeeiiiiitttt! Almost poop yourself hehehe

You've sold me, at least it will remain a little stock & save $$$ which I could do far better things with, at least for now......but for right now, I'm going to relax & have a stout Beer, catch you soon!

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 16-06-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 22-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #32
NaughtyGT

Guys, after chat with my Mechanic mate, decided I'm going to pull Air/Con unit out so I can customise the Turbo & Mandrel bends. The stock Turbo has severely restrictive stock exhaust set-up which doesn't allow for much change & certainly doesn't warrant the money to do a half-job. Will be a bigger job than anticipated but better in the end. I now need to research the best Turbo or Hybrid out there & then couple Mandrel bends to suit. I want to do it right the first time!

Old 22-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #33
chicaboo

Is your turbo stuffed??? If it is, there is a soft/cheap option, which is what I have done. ie: VF10/VJ14 hybrid with custom coolant lines, stock BPT dump and Corksport IC/2.5" plumbing.

Otherwise, there are at least 2 nice exhaust manifolds on ebay that I like. One is a nice spaghetti s/s job for T25/28 turbos, which looks like it would make some great power. The other is a cast manifold to suit T3/4 flanges, which you can still add a T25/28 onto anyhow. I sort of like the cast option myself, as I know it won't crack and the space for it looks better.

Both of those options give you room for a split dump while keeping your AC. AC really is only a problem if you go with a custom split dump with an IHI hybrid while keeping your stock exhaust manifold. So, you don't need to sacrifice your AC to make big power.

Gav.
Old 22-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #34
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
Is your turbo stuffed??? If it is, there is a soft/cheap option, which is what I have done. ie: VF10/VJ14 hybrid with custom coolant lines, stock BPT dump and Corksport IC/2.5" plumbing.

Otherwise, there are at least 2 nice exhaust manifolds on ebay that I like. One is a nice spaghetti s/s job for T25/28 turbos, which looks like it would make some great power. The other is a cast manifold to suit T3/4 flanges, which you can still add a T25/28 onto anyhow. I sort of like the cast option myself, as I know it won't crack and the space for it looks better.

Both of those options give you room for a split dump while keeping your AC. AC really is only a problem if you go with a custom split dump with an IHI hybrid while keeping your stock exhaust manifold. So, you don't need to sacrifice your AC to make big power.

Gav.
Gidday chicaboo!

the turbos' not stuffed but I have been warned that the stock exhaust side that is flanged, where you join the dump pipe, turns downward too early & thus, on too sharp an angle, so, to overcome this short-coming, you come out longer horizontally & avoid the sharp downturn, ending up with better, gentler curve before bending down & then agian bending towards the rear of car! The A/C is in the way & causes you to bend too soon thus, constricting the flow! I would rather go all-out & have the best flow than compromise!

To use the BPT dump, I would have to use hybrid turbo wouldn't I? cause VJ14has 3 bolt flange pattern!

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 22-06-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 22-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #35
chicaboo

Hey mate,

The BPT dump is a great upgrade, it has nice square edges (which for some reason almost always flow better ), and it's outlet is 2.25" as opposed to 1.75" on the B6T dump. Oh, and you get an extra place to bung in an exhaust temp sensor or such. I've seen some nice custom split dumps that will fit with the AC in place, so I think removing the AC is a big deal when these options are available to you. Also, 18" long split dumps are great with bigger turbos, but they won't gain you as much value on a small VJXX to warrant losing the AC IMO...

The VJ14 should have a 5 bolt pattern (you may only see 3 from above), and the VJ11 have a 4 bolt pattern (I've got both sitting here in my garage). Once you know which pattern you have, you can hit put up a FS add on FL.com and see what sort of response you get back. I know AC friendly split dumps have come and gone on there in the past.

Gav.
Old 22-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #36
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Hey mate,

The BPT dump is a great upgrade, it has nice square edges (which for some reason almost always flow better ), and it's outlet is 2.25" as opposed to 1.75" on the B6T dump. Oh, and you get an extra place to bung in an exhaust temp sensor or such. I've seen some nice custom split dumps that will fit with the AC in place, so I think removing the AC is a big deal when these options are available to you. Also, 18" long split dumps are great with bigger turbos, but they won't gain you as much value on a small VJXX to warrant losing the AC IMO...

The VJ14 should have a 5 bolt pattern (you may only see 3 from above), and the VJ11 have a 4 bolt pattern (I've got both sitting here in my garage). Once you know which pattern you have, you can hit put up a FS add on FL.com and see what sort of response you get back. I know AC friendly split dumps have come and gone on there in the past.

Gav.
ahhh, I'll check again in the morning, that explains the BPT dump pipe suggestion then! So to clear up, the BPT dump is available & it joins straight to the VJ14?, no need to change T-housing or anything & I can leave the AC in? I didn't think the BPT dump fitted straight on the VJ14?

btw, Turbo is definately a VJ14! I used a torch & read it on the serial plate

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 22-06-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 23-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #37
chicaboo

I've got a VJ14 5-bolt 12R exhaust housing with a BPT dump attached and it clears the AC by 1cm I guess. It will be fun getting the heat shield back on after I've polished it though.

Another trick to getting yet more flow again with stock parts is to use the VJ20 15R exhaust housing and elongate the 4 bolt holes that go to the exhaust manifold to make it fit. Perhaps a bit much stuffing around for a small gain, so I would only do that if you have a 4 bolt housing...

And then there is a 20R exhaust housing, but I don't know much about them, except they have yet more flow again. Which is not necessarily a good thing if you like response at low revs.

Lots of options...
Gav.
Old 23-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #38
NaughtyGT

put simply, what confuses me the most @ this stage is I have the orig' VF14 right, what is the 12R you mention? Will the Corksport downpipe/dumppipe fit on mine? I thought it was for the BPT Turbo?

What mods do I have to make then if I keep Air/Con?

(btw, I have een reading some old posts of yours on your mods etc, I am still learning T's though)

Old 23-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #39
chicaboo

Oh $#!T, you'll go nuts reading my old posts!

The Corksport dump will fit any 5 bolt 12/15/20R housing, but your AC and sump will get in the way on the B6T engine. You can delete the AC, but I can't garuantee that the CS dump will clear the sump without modification.

12R is the size of the housing for the VJ14, and 15R and 20R were on the VJ20. Basically the port is bigger to the inducer from the exhaust manifold on the 15R and 20R. But by making the port bigger you lose response at low revs.

You might be interested to know that I have stumbled onto a cheap stroker kit in the US and a guy that can custom grind B6T cams. I'm still sussing out the cam guy, as he does something fishy to make the welds stand up to regular driving, which means getting cam gears... I will let you know more when I do.

Gav.
Old 23-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #40
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Oh $#!T, you'll go nuts reading my old posts!

The Corksport dump will fit any 5 bolt 12/15/20R housing, but your AC and sump will get in the way on the B6T engine. You can delete the AC, but I can't garuantee that the CS dump will clear the sump without modification.

12R is the size of the housing for the VJ14, and 15R and 20R were on the VJ20. Basically the port is bigger to the inducer from the exhaust manifold on the 15R and 20R. But by making the port bigger you lose response at low revs.

You might be interested to know that I have stumbled onto a cheap stroker kit in the US and a guy that can custom grind B6T cams. I'm still sussing out the cam guy, as he does something fishy to make the welds stand up to regular driving, which means getting cam gears... I will let you know more when I do.

Gav.
ohhhhhhhh, leaving that alone for now you do it, then, I'll put my straight-Jacket back on out of the closet &......hehehehe

I now know wtfrig your talking about, I'm a quick as learner but, I couldn't get my head under the car to check out what is what til' I jacked it up prop! The heat shield is a biiiitttcccchhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Here goes:

Dump pipe = 5 bolt housing from hot-side to 3 bolt flange right?
Downpipe = from 3 bolt flange down to cat! Right???

CorkSport is a dump/down pipe in one, correct?

Now, my guess is you would have to remove AC comp' to fit Corksport dump/downpipe. How'm I going so far?

But, your not sure if CorkSport will go straight on the hotside, again I'm guessing due to constrictions, without mod? What would the worst-case mod be???

P.S. Incidently, the intake pipe where it joins down on the Coldside is friggin small diameter, how do you get more air into it??????????

I'm also guessing that you didn't use the CS pipe ey?

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 23-06-2009 at 09:31 AM.