Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Off Topic

Old 25-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #41
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
Yeah, that's great... Now how many cars do you see trying to get left as soon as possible? Either because it's the law, or they think they need to merge left in any case? And then they might want to take the exit to Coorparoo or Greenslopes. It's no good no matter how you look at it...

So, I'm afraid your "no merging needed" statement is rendered null and void. Hence it's still a pain in the arse.
Not many cars try to get over in hurry - they have the lane to themselves so they tend to stay there. Also, the Juliette Street on-ramp pops up on the left soon after the CLEM ramp, so they try to avoid the left lanes for a while.

The next exit is Marshall Road - about 3 kilometres down the road. That is enough time to get over.

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #42
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Orion: Marshall road isn't too bad for people going to Moorooka or Mt Gravatt. The right hand lane hoggers will try and stay there as long as possible and then migrate over at the last minute. I drove that way for almost 10 years daily, I know all the different possibilities to avoid traffic on the HWY, etc...

Bourbon: For a little while during the roadworks, it was actually a merge... I drove that road every day for years up until April, and I don't miss it.

Added lane aside, they can't stay there due to the keep left rule! It's a 90>100kph area, so they need to at least vacate the right lane at some point. Now, do they go to the far left lane, or just stay out of the right lane? Granted, in peak hour traffic they can pretty much stay there, unless they are going to Greenslopes, Coorparoo or Moorooka. On the other hand, you have people who love to hog the right lane during peak hour traffic too, so now you get traffic weaving.

Any way you look at it, right hand merges/added lanes are atrocious. I also think that T2/3 lanes on motorways should be on the far left lane too. This prevents traffic weaving, and also leaves the left most lane open for merging traffic. I can't believe it is not done this way on 3 or 4 lane roads. Local TX traffic lanes are always in the left lane, why not on motorways? Probably because of the gay keep left rule which nobody understands...

Last edited by chicaboo; 25-08-2010 at 01:04 PM.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #43
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
Quote:
Any way you look at it, right hand merges/added lanes are atrocious. I also think that T2/3 lanes on motorways should be on the far left lane too. This prevents traffic weaving, and also leaves the left most lane open for merging traffic. I can't believe it is not done this way on 3 or 4 lane roads. Local TX traffic lanes are always in the left lane, why not on motorways? Probably because of the gay keep left rule which nobody understands...
they are in the right lane so they dont block merging/exiting traffic...as it flows better in that lane why would you want some moron who drops down to 60km/h merging when the hwy speed is doing 100...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #44
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
It's the same story for 60>100 merging no matter how you designate the left hand lane. You can have a gridlocked left lane backing up traffic [now a 60>20kph merge], or a more open lane with people only using it for TX, and entry/exit [maybe 80kph]... My point is that having a TX lane in the far left frees that lane up for merging traffic, therefore speeding up the entire traffic flow. The 3 lanes on the M1/SE FWY are rendered useless when reduced to 2 lanes for the T2. My idea will increase traffic flow in the TX lanes for sure, but will decrease the backlog of traffic waiting to enter the motorway too. This doesn't even cover the decrease in accidents from weaving traffic going to the TX lanes either. Like I said, I speak from years of experience on that sh!tful M1/SE FWY...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #45
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
they have annouced just the other week they are cracking down on the keep left unless overtaking rule...so dont be surprised if you can get fined for overtaking on the left now
Funny that, I thought they were meant to enforce the law all the time, not when its convenient.

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #46
zappy65

Quote:
With the keep left thing - what about on the HWY/MWY where there are 3 or 4 lanes? Do they want you to only occupy the left most lane, or just not use the right most lane [unless overtaking]? Because I drive in the middle 2 lanes all the time...
Thats fine...keep left of the furthest right lane unless overtaking!!!...Not hard.

Old 25-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #47
zappy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
well then the law isnt keep left unless overtaking...this is why there is so many bloody accidents on our roads! idiots doing 90-100 in the middle lanes and someone in the right doing the same...yet there is no one in the left hand lane...most of the time i do the speed limit in the left hand lane and i go past 20 cars in 5 mins...its stupid and i think highway laws need to be revised...
Most of the rules are fine...but people dont understand...its really just common courtesy that alot of people dont seem to own?...The other half of the problem is people not being able to do the speed limit..be it they are retarded (Most QLD drivers are this) or just plain stupid.

Every time I travel down Wembley Rd. I always get this idiot that does 70 in an 80 zone and then goes up the hill, cant accelerate so we get to 60 and then they speed down the hill because they dont know where the brake pedal is (or cant utilise accelerator control) and then when it goes to 60 they still do 70....

Ive even had people on an onramp come to a complete stop to wait for oncoming cars to pass...ow whats so hard about geting to 100 and sliding into a gap...or the person on the hwy moving over 1 lane..?...Bah...we have this convo at work everyday.

EDIT: I should really read the whole thread before I post 3 posts...lol

Last edited by zappy65; 25-08-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 18-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #48
gtarone
w3rd.

Car: '01 Nissan 200sx S15
Matt, if he was doing well over 40km/h he deserves it. This **** kills people everyday. Car should be impounded too.

Also left hand should only matter on longer stretches of roads, if it's more then two lane, then very right lane should be reserved for overtaking.

Steve.