Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 29-05-2014, 02:57 AM   #1
bobby

Car: bjzm-r
My 323 BJ 2000 Sp20 - bpt conversion

So it’s that time of the year when you think, ahh why not...

My 2000 model 323 engine was on its way out and I happened to have a spare bpt familia gtx engine lying around. So after much research I realised that the bj 2000 323 with the "zm 1.6" has an identical block to the b6/bp as they copied the design with some minor differences. What does this mean for me, installing the bpt requires no modifications. All mounts fit, belhouse fits, I even get to use the bj power steering pump and a/c. cheering

So I went along and did it, the only mission was the wiring, so now I’m going from 105hp 1.6 to around 200hp bpt "Air filter, cooler, exhaust" that's allot better than all of the engines offered to the bj series which I always felt was a let down as the bj has the best handling and driveability
So we get 105hp 1.6, 125hp 1.8 or 130hp 2.0 sp20 and in the states they get 170hp fs-de 2.0 which is really just a sp20 engine with a bolt-on turbo. Not good for more serious power unlike the bpt

Anyway I made a short video, tell me what you all think about it?

http://youtu.be/Buzv8M4vsq8

Last edited by bobby; 29-05-2014 at 03:01 AM.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
That's neat man. How much trouble was the wireing ??

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Well that's different. Nice work!

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
maz sp20

Car: 2002 mazda sp20 hatchback
Nice work mate I know a few blokes in Trinidad that have done that Swap .
maz sp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIGHIE View Post
That's neat man. How much trouble was the wireing ??
well the good thing about the wiring is its one complete loom that connects the entire engine setup to the ecu and a connector next to the ecu that wires into the car's loom, finding out which wires go where was the mission as the bj wiring diagrams are for the two plug american ecu and not our one. i just tested wire by wire with a multimeter, until it started up and ran, connected clutch switch, gearbox switch, brake switch,. all these things raise idle a little so the car doesn't stall during movement. i had issues with the rpm gauge as the signal is more digital than the typical dizzy signal, resolved that with 2 10k resistors. and my biggest mistake was installing the alternator from the zm engine. turns out all 98+ onwards mazdas use a digital signal to the ecu from the alternator to regulate the voltage,
i think it was "s & l" older type, really easy to connect to any car vs "p & d" newer alternator which needs ecu to regulate. so i had to remove my newer one and replace it with the familia one, the great thing was the bj 323 has plenty of space so i didn't struggle to pull it out, unlike the bg familia gtx.

about a days work will do it. a bit of headache but well worth it in the end, the car is running totally stock boost and it feels like a weapon, really fun to have this combination of a bj 323 + bpt. feels natural like it came out factory turbo. totally enjoying it.
Old 29-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
that'll be great until your next annual new roadworthy. or gearbox replacement.

nice engine swap either way.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 29-05-2014 at 11:38 AM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
that'll be great until your next annual new roadworthy. or gearbox replacement.

nice engine swap either way.
getting pink slips isn't a big deal, this bp engine comes out factory all the way up to 2001 in the miata mx5, hence it meets all emissions standards. and a typical pink slip only covers wheels, lights, belts and leaks. if i wanted to i could get it engineered as its not the standard engine, but with so many people putting in b18c/k20 in there civics, and n14/15 sss guys putting sr20det in there sss. this is merely a big deal, its all still factory looking and its not obvious "apart from the bov" the only negative side to the original box is its a "f series" but its the strongest built f series available as it has a two piece cv driveshaft and it originally runs a twincam engine. most f series boxs where only designed for the powerband of a sohc. many people overseas have turbo'd there original zm engine "don't know why when this is easier" and have ran a easy 250hp through the box before destroying it. for me my clutch is my safeguard, it slips despite being new. regardless i ended up buying a ba 1995 g series box so if this box does die. i'll replace it with that
Old 29-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
getting pink slips isn't a big deal, this bp engine comes out factory all the way up to 2001 in the miata mx5, hence it meets all emissions standards.
good luck.

what year model was theengines donor car from?
what year model is the current car?

no go read the NCOP.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 29-05-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 29-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
bobby

Quote:
good luck.

what year model was theengines donor car from?
what year model is the current car?

no go read the NCOP.
lol, buddy, I've registered, complied and imported many cars. I've had a civic turbo which i built and that was fully engineered and i registered it every year for 4 years. check out civicturbo.net that was the car before i sold it, and my other car was my candy mazda familia gtr which was "uncompiled" registered with a special approval from the rta head office. i had that for 6 years see website 323gtr.net believe me I've been doing this game for 10 years now. i know all the rules and regulations so you can go read your vehicle standards bulletin because i won't have a problem registering this
Old 29-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
project.r.racing

one you added a turbo in non ncop days.
one was just a grey import, no big deal there.

both completely different situation to this said car. but if you can prove me incorrect, the readers will see and i'll have egg on my face. dont reply until you have a complience paperwork and a photo of it to back it up.

i've been in the game for more than 10 years. who does that make me more correct then?

other than that, still a cool engine swap.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 29-05-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 29-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
bobby

Quote:
one you added a turbo in non ncop days.
one was just a grey import, no big deal there.

both completely different situation to this said car. but if you can prove me incorrect, the readers will see and i'll have egg on my face. dont reply until you have a complience paperwork and a photo of it to back it up.

i've been in the game for more than 10 years. who does that make me more correct then?

other than that, still a cool engine swap.
lol, egg in your face, i just took it to a pink slip place two weeks ago and renewed the rego with the bpt
[IMG][/IMG]

i understand where your coming from, I've been working on cars for over 15 years, but at the end of the day, no pink slip/blueslip guy knows what engine they are looking at, the engines are all the same in there eye's and as long as its registered to the car, that's all that matters, to register the car as a factory turbocharged car, you just simply do a blueslip - change of details and add the detail of a turbocharged vehicle, the down side to this is the cops know your car is turbocharged and if your on your p's... well you know.

pssst. i heard jaywalking is illegal but the off chance of getting caught crossing the road... no one has ever really faced the states governed rules.

truth is, if i wanted to do this completely legal. i would engineer it, i engineered both my other cars and many many cars, besides there are many many cars out there new and old with engine swaps, blowers, different non factory setups that exceed any type of emissions that would be for that particular year, but this setup is a factory bpt. factory ecu with factory boost and cat, running factory air to fuel ratios. no problems here

this is my basic scrap car anyway, body is in poor condition, and i plan on getting a clean sp20 and going gtr on that. once i slowly start building up that car, this will possibly end up in the scrap
Old 29-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Nice work. Don't worry about project.r, his heart is in the right place.
Old 29-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
DVS
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BJII sp20
it doesn't state what engine on the pink slip and if you were to get it blue slipped I dare say it would be knocked back plus its not engineered

any monkey can do a pink slip but to have it legit and regoed as a bpt in a BJ with engine number listed through RMS is something I cant see happening

putting an old engine in a newer car is also generally a no no unless it was from same car eg 2002 sp20 engine in 2003 sp20

Last edited by DVS; 29-05-2014 at 06:05 PM.
DVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
All I can say is - Don't kill anyone. OR at least have your insurance up to date be it fully legal or not.

You can slip through all the loop holes you want. It only takes that one mistake.

You can take this anyway you want. But it's not like it's going to attract attention.
As long as you stay under the radar don't piss off the wrong person. You Should be right.

I already make a point on the FB -page it's a Bit pointless of a conversion is a BPT's have been done to death. Make sense in factory position.

You still face the same issues going forward regardless of legalities.

Pink slips are getting tighter but it's not for them to worry about anyway.

But get your self in wrong situation and well things might come back to bite you.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #15
bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
it doesn't state what engine on the pink slip and if you were to get it blue slipped I dare say it would be knocked back plus its not engineered

any monkey can do a pink slip but to have it legit and regoed as a bpt in a BJ with engine number listed through RMS is something I cant see happening

putting an old engine in a newer car is also generally a no no unless it was from same car eg 2002 sp20 engine in 2003 sp20
rms doesn't have a database for engine numbers, they only have a database for stolen ones, so its not a issue to change the numbers to this engine.

the only issue is the fact that bj didn't come out forced induction in Australia. even though it did overseas, in fact bj 323 came out with b series engines as standard overseas as well as diesel and other multiple engine options, rta looks at it like every other car, if you make it turbo, you have to engineer it. which again for me isn't to much of a big deal if i wanted it to be cop friendly. that said, i don't have a massive intercooler hanging out the front or a loud exhaust, my car sounds like a typical 323 ss turbo stock as but with a little more power.

man I've done many many conversions, I've converted mazda 3 bl max to mps and even made one automatic, cleared and registered. i know quite alot about what i can do and what i can't.. it also helps having a friend who is a mechanic with a blueslip licence he knows all the rules as he had to study to get his licence. i had a membership on here from 2004 but i forgot my details. please don't mistake me with some 17year old who may not be fully knowledgeable about these things
Old 29-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #16
DVS
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BJII sp20
So at the end of the day even though it can be done it will never be legally road registerble in NSW at this current point in time which is what project r was saying. Have fun with it but like rodhog said be careful.
Old 14-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
familiagtx

Car: Mazda BJ SP20 Turbocharged
getting a pinky its no effort.

its getting a blue slip with the bpt in it with the CORRECT details on it.

And trust me with my experience, it doesn't work and bites you in the bum.

I prepared a Suzuki mightyboy for a blue slip and I installed 796cc instead of the only factory optioned 543cc.

without an engineers certificate you are not allowed to exceed 200cc.

both engines are identical to look at.

3 months later after the car was registered, I had rta inspectors visit my house and lift the car with their own trolley jack to perform an ID check and see if the engine number was incorrectly written down and/or the incorrect engine has been installed.

had 30 days to rectify the issue by supplying a engineers certificate or install a factory optioned engine or have my rego suspended till resolved.

The BG/KF/KH guys are easier to get by on the sly, because the BP SOHC has the same BPXXXXXX as a BPT engine number.

---
forgot to mention my regular blueslip guy that I used over the years had his licence suspended for 6 months and copped a ear bashing from him with the next vehicle I took.

Last edited by familiagtx; 14-10-2014 at 01:48 PM.
familiagtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #18
bjk
AstinaGT Regular

Car: SE20 Protege; 6A13tt FTO
Nice conversion, but fek me that video music was annoying hahaha
bjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #19
bobby

NEW PHOTOS : ENJOY PEOPLE ....

here's some pictures for everyone, this tells the story ... kinda