Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 24-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Mohit

Car: 2001 SP20 Hatch
New SP20 owner with questions

Hey guys, picked up my new to me 2001 BJII 323 SP20 manual hatch on the weekend and have a few questions. Thought I'd just ask in the one thread to make it easier.

How do you remove the steering column shroud so I can get to the wiper stalk?
I want to replace it with a variable intermittent one I got from a Ford Laser.
I unscrewed the 3 screws on the underside of the shroud but couldn't get it off.

As part of the roadworthy certificate the dealer replaced one of the drive belts as the original one was frayed.
I think it was the smaller one, the one that runs off the alternator.
I now randomly get a high pitched squeal when I turn the headlights on or the AC compressor kicks in.
Sounds like a pulley is gone, or maybe the belt just needs its tension adjusted?
Does the 2.0L engine have an automatic tensioner or does it have to be manually dialled in?

Will be doing an engine oil change soon and after reading some posts looks like a few people go for a larger oil filter from another Mazda model.
Is a Ryco Z411 oil filter ok to use? Standard one I think is a Z436.

Should the coolant reservoir have an overflow tube attached to the cap?
Mine doesn't have one but not sure if it's needed.

Looking at lowering springs in the future.
Are short stroke shocks required to keep the springs captive?

What is the black circular plastic blank for that's located above the power mirror adjustment switch on the driver's door?

That's all I can remember for now!

Last edited by Mohit; 24-02-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Hammo

Car: 03 Sp20
Hello and welcome to AGT

Belt tensioner is manually adjustable.

Ryco Z411 is good to use its a little bit larger than the standard size (I actually use the Z411)

Yes the overflow tube should be on the cap (can always just get some rubber hose and put on it)

dont think shocks should be required (i went straight to coilovers haha)

there are fold in mirrors available for our cars, that spot would be for the fold in mirror button i think if it had fold in mirrors

hope this helps

chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

If you could choose between your'e dream girl and dream car

What rims would you put on it?

^^^ Click Me For Build Thread ^^^
Hammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Mohit

Thanks for that Hammo definitely helps!

Anyone know about the steering column shroud and short stroke shocks?

I noticed when I unlock the car with the remote control all the indicators stay on for about 30 seconds until the car locks itself if no door is opened in that time frame. I know it's normal for the doors to re-lock if no door is opened but are the indicators meant to stay on?

Also, during those 30 seconds if I open the tailgate the car doesn't recognize that a door has been opened, and will continue on to re-lock itself even if the tail gate is open. Is this normal behaviour?
Old 25-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
I would say thats how the immobiliser/alarm is.

Because i have a aftermarket alarm system installed about 3yrs ago and if i unlock the car and open the tailgate the car will relock after about 40seconds even if the tailgate is still open. (but go's off when i close it haha)

And with the indicators staying on until the car relocks if no doors are open, i would say its most likely a feature on that alarm system, and sounds like a cool feature haha
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Mohit

I have the standard Mazda security system. Maybe what I've described is normal behaviour? But it's not mentioned in the owner's manual.
Old 25-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
The 30 second re-lock time is normal. The immobiliser doesn't recognise the hatch tailgate or sedan trunklid - this is normal operation.

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
da20valve

Car: SP20 2002
Just get the regular filter, the bigger filter does nothing, it doesn't make the oil cooler and if you stick to frequent oil changes there are absolutely no advantages.

Last edited by da20valve; 25-02-2014 at 07:02 PM.
da20valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
da20valve

Car: SP20 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohit View Post

I noticed when I unlock the car with the remote control all the indicators stay on for about 30 seconds until the car locks itself if no door is opened in that time frame. I know it's normal for the doors to re-lock if no door is opened but are the indicators meant to stay on?

Also, during those 30 seconds if I open the tailgate the car doesn't recognize that a door has been opened, and will continue on to re-lock itself even if the tail gate is open. Is this normal behaviour?
No the indicators are not supposed to stay on they should flash when the button is pressed and reflash upon auto lock after 30 secs if no door has been opened, something a bit of a miss there.
da20valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #9
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by da20valve View Post
No the indicators are not supposed to stay on they should flash when the button is pressed and reflash upon auto lock after 30 secs if no door has been opened, something a bit of a miss there.
If you don't open any doors, then the indicators stay on for 30 seconds until the doors are re-locked. They will still flash at unlock and re-lock in this situation.

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
Mohit

The Ryco Z411 oil filter seems to be a couple of dollars cheaper than the Z436, apart from being a little larger too meaning more filtration of the oil.

When I unlock the car the indicators flash twice then stay on for 30 seconds. If a door isn't opened the car re-locks and the indicators go off. If a door is opened the indicators go off as soon as the door is opened. When I lock the car the indicators flash once. This seems like normal behaviour then.
Old 25-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
Tmak100

Car: BJ 323 SP20
Quote:

The shroud needs a little force. I got it by getting my fingers in towards where the stalk comes out.

Also after taking out the screws, lower the handle that adjusts the steering wheel height.

The top clips sorta inside the bottom half, if that makes sense, so push into the top half and up to separate. Once you get one open its easy. Be careful though, it shouldn't be a problem but with the age of the plastic it may be brittle. And once it is open, the little green light above the ignition switch is wired to one of the covers (can't remember which one, you will be able to see which before hand).

Last edited by Tmak100; 25-02-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Tmak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
Mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmak100 View Post
The shroud needs a little force. I got it by getting my fingers in towards where the stalk comes out.

Also after taking out the screws, lower the handle that adjusts the steering wheel height.

The top clips sorta inside the bottom half, if that makes sense, so push into the top half and up to separate. Once you get one open its easy. Be careful though, it shouldn't be a problem but with the age of the plastic it may be brittle. And once it is open, the little green light above the ignition switch is wired to one of the covers (can't remember which one, you will be able to see which before hand).
Thanks for the tips will give it a shot!
Old 27-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
Mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmak100 View Post

Thanks for the info mate was able to swap out the wiper stalk in 5 minutes

BTW, anyone know if short stroke shocks are required if running lowering springs?

Also noticed something with the clutch pedal.
When it's fully depressed and I'm releasing it, about a third of the way up I feel a slight click sensation.
The other 2 pedals come up smoothly.

Last edited by Mohit; 27-02-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 27-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #14
Hammo

Car: 03 Sp20
Quote:
Thanks for the info mate was able to swap out the wiper stalk in 5 minutes

BTW, anyone know if short stroke shocks are required if running lowering springs?

Also noticed something with the clutch pedal.
When it's fully depressed and I'm releasing it, about a third of the way up I feel a slight click sensation.
The other 2 pedals come up smoothly.
This might explain the click. Mine does it too, dont feel any damp carpet though, will fix it one day.

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6996

chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

If you could choose between your'e dream girl and dream car

What rims would you put on it?

^^^ Click Me For Build Thread ^^^
Hammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Short springs will shorten the life of the stock shock absorber, but it's not critical to run a shorter-stroke shock unless you're going lower than say 45mm. Ideally you'd want firmer shocks if you're going lower though.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Last edited by Rupewrecht; 27-02-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #16
Mohit

Thanks all for the answers so far but got another one!

Any way to turn off the horn beep when locking/unlocking the car with the remote control?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #17
Mohit

Quote:
Thanks all for the answers so far but got another one!

Any way to turn off the horn beep when locking/unlocking the car with the remote control?
Have done a search but came up with nothing. Also nothing in the service manual. Hopefully there is a way to turn off the lock/unlock horn beep, or at least make it quieter.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #18
Samsara

Car: 2003 BJ-II 323 Astina Hatch
Hey mate, as Rupe said, short stroke shocks arent critical, I had a set of Eibach ProKit springs on KYB standard shocks and they were absolutely amazing. I'm actually in the process of selling them for $200 haha. Only 40,000kms on them...
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote