Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 21-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
BigBoyLemonade
The Architect

Car: AUSDM S6 RX7
Send a message via ICQ to BigBoyLemonade
Mazda Crosssport Concept - 56/256k warning!

Complete horn!

Mazda's MX-Crossport concept points to forthcoming 4WD wagon

By BRUCE NEWTON 15 December 2004

MAZDA moves to fill a gaping hole in its line-up when it unveils its first cross-over concept at the Detroit auto show next month.

While the official line is that any possible production future for the vehicle, which is designated MX-Cross-port as a concept, relies on public and media reaction and Mazda’s research findings, it already seems certain something based upon it will be built.

“We cannot afford the luxury of just wasting our time,” said Mazda’s design director Moray Callum when the MX-Crossport was previewed to select media, including GoAuto, in Japan last month.

The launch of a production Mazda cross-over can be expected by early 2007. By then the company has committed to reveal 16 significant new models, including three cross-over/SUV vehicles.

The good news is that while the production cross-over will be primarily aimed at the left-hand drive North American market where Mazda is struggling to grow sales, there seems no doubt that it will be built in right-hand drive and head Down Under as well.

A key player in ensuring that happens is Malcolm Gough, the former Mazda Australia managing director who took up a new posting at Mazda’s Hiroshima headquarters this year as general manager of the overseas sales division.

“We’ve got Malcolm Gough here, and you know what Malcolm is like,” said Mazda’s global R&D chief, Joe Bakaj at the MX-Crossport preview. “Malcolm is excited at the Crossport. I will leave it at that.”

The crucial question as far as the executives at Mazda Australia are concerned is just how long they will have to wait for this vehicle, which will bolster the company’s line-up in the hyper-competitive SUV area from the current sole offering, the ageing Tribute.

With Mazda Australia already forecasting that the four VFACTS SUV segments will combine to consistently sell more than the large or small passenger car segments within three years, it is no surprise that local managing director Doug kazzooson is licking his lips at the prospect of a production car based on MX-Crossport.

“It’s absolutely wonderful, we are delighted with it,” Mr kazzooson said.

“It appears to be aimed at a different market to the Tribute, although it is a little bit difficult to tell from a concept.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mazda is giving us a taste of its general feel about how to go about combining the ‘Zoom Zoom’ design ethos with cross-over and SUV styling
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We are told it has good interior space, it has high style and it is probably geared more toward the sporting and personal end of the market.

“We like its style and we believe it (a production version) will fit within the way Mazda Australia markets. We can certainly be positive about that.”

The media got its first look at the MX-Crossport during the recent 2005 & Beyond preview exercise conducted by Mazda in Hiroshima in November.

But there was no opportunity to get closer than a metre from the car, or have a good inspection of the interior.

Nevertheless, the Crossport concept is easily identified as a Mazda thanks to a distinctive front end that includes an evolution of the RX-8 sports car’s fenders and an MPS-style grille.

“In production you could virtually replicate the theme of this vehicle,” said Mr Callum. “We’ve really tried to dial up the sportiness figure with this car and dial down the SUV.”

It’s also fair to suggest Mazda is giving us a taste of its general feel about how to go about combining the ‘Zoom Zoom’ design ethos with cross-over and SUV styling. Tribute is due for a complete revision soon, while a third vehicle Mazda has hinted at could be larger and aimed at replacing the old Millenia/800M as the company’s most prestigious vehicle.

Not everything about MX-Crossport is production bound of course. The concept has four separate seats, a floor-length console and floating roof rails. But production cars would offer five and probably seven-seat set-ups, while the massive 20-inch wheel and tyre combination is pure show car excess.

Mazda was also totally silent on drivetrain or chassis plans, only revealing the MX-Crossport is 4630mm long, 1930mm wide and has a long 2795mm wheelbase.

However, as this car is being pitched as a direct competitor for the Nissan Murano in North America, a V6 engine makes sense. At the moment the only V6 Mazda has available to it is the Ford family 3.0-litre Duratec.

The underlying platform for the production car also appears to be a Ford family affair, with the plan being to mount it on an adaptation of the corporate C1 architecture.

C1 is already used by Mazda for the compact 3 model and the new 5, which is the small people-mover that replaced the Premacy. It also underpins the Ford Focus and Fusion and Volvo S and V40.

European reports say the platform is known as C1+ and will be used for future Volvo S60, V70 and S80, as well as the rumoured XC50 small SUV. Land Rover will use it for the Freelander.

Ford is developing two vehicles off C1+, five and seven-seat versions of a cross-over known internally as SAV, or Sport Activity Vehicle, as well as a radical replacement for the Galaxy people-mover.

Engines linked to the C1+ project include four and five-cylinder petrol units and a new generation turbo-diesel family.

Transmission choices are said to include five and six-speed manual, CVT and a new dual-clutch design. All-wheel drive will be optional.

Source: http://www.goauto.com.au/

Infinite Networks- Creative Web design and powerful online application solutions
BigBoyLemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 21-01-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
i WANT that dash !!

but why do 4wds these days all look like big versions of the hatchback ?

the tarago especially now looks like a stretched echo lol
Dogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogo
the tarago especially now looks like a stretched echo lol
Heh.. tell that one to sp33dy.. :P

I like this new one.. pity they never look quite the same when released! But i'd get the wife one, if i had a wife. :roll:

AP

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I don't normaly like SUVs but that's a nice un. 8)
Make it a full family affair add a Jaguar 4.0l V8 and Miller cycle and I'll put in my order today.

Bad news I have to wait 2 years , Good news I can start saving my pennys now
Old 21-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
yeah i'm notta suv person either, but that's very nice!
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
It looks like an RX-8 colided with the BMW or Lexus 4WD...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2005, 04:30 AM   #7
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
I dont know whether I like the car or the wheels better but shes a nice one. about time I found a possible future family car even though I get out the baseball bat at the slightest mention of a child from Catwoman
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2005, 11:51 AM   #8
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
hmm i'd get one to be a good dad

now all i need is a wife and kids
Old 24-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #9
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
Completely Off Topic......

I have to ask, I just gotta.....

Why is it a woman is there to spurt out sprogs n drive a monstrously sized truck?

Why can't a woman be who she wants to be, drive what car she likes, and not have to have demon spawn?

Marriage does not equal kids.

I respect peoples right to choose whether or not they want children, I just don't like the assumption that women all want to become breeders as soon as a ring is on their finger.

I know it doesn't really have anything to do with the crossport, which is a very nice car imo.

I just found the comments from you guys about buying one for wifey n the kids very ...... stereotypical I guess.

Why is it so?

I am not having a dig at anyone, I am just curious as to why people say the things they do sometimes.

Anyway, no one pay any attention to me, I am having a crapper of a day and today I go back to the Doctors and go on the pharmacetical roundabout once again......

As you were......
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #10
BigBoyLemonade
The Architect

Car: AUSDM S6 RX7
Send a message via ICQ to BigBoyLemonade
Cause its a generalisation of women... 90% of women are like that...

Not to blow wind up your arse but your not your average ball gripping woman.

Infinite Networks- Creative Web design and powerful online application solutions
BigBoyLemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
LMAO....

*falls off chair*
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #12
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
haha yeh your dealing with a few sad blokes here :P
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #13
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
hmm it's not bad

but i swear there was a concept just like this a few years ago before the RX8 came out.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 06:55 AM   #14
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
becuase men can't have babies - except for the governator!@!!
Old 25-01-2005, 07:38 AM   #15
Red Frog

Car: My feet :p
DITTO KITTY x100!!!! My friend Anais would have loved to hear that from u!! hahaha. U couldn't have put it better
Old 18-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #16
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

i just noticed no rear doorhandles on that puppy
Old 20-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #17
ABC

Send a message via MSN to ABC
looks like it could take on the bloody Dakkar with wheel arches that big!!

Sorry to go all nerd on you but the inside looks like the starship Enterprise!!

Still, would be a pretty cool regatta-mobile to pull the boat around with
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #18
pr1mo

the way my career is going im gunna need something liek that in a few years :O could be good timing
Old 29-11-2005, 08:45 PM   #19
pr1mo

this puppy is gunna have a 2.3l turbocharged mazda 6 engine and running gear across all 3 models woot
Old 18-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #20
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Somw wonderfully new HI RES images have been sourced.. They're BIG!

http://www.mazda.nl/content/nieuws/MazdaCX-7_1.jpg
http://www.mazda.nl/content/nieuws/MazdaCX-7_2.jpg
http://www.mazda.nl/content/nieuws/MazdaCX-7_3.jpg
http://www.mazda.nl/content/nieuws/MazdaCX-7_4.jpg
http://www.mazda.nl/content/nieuws/MazdaCX-7_5.jpg
http://www.mazda.nl/content/nieuws/MazdaCX-7_6.jpg

Enjoy!

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote