Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 16-11-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
$IK323

Send a message via MSN to $IK323
WHAT TO DO??

ok guys now I'm going to very soon improve the look of my dash and interior panelling....but am still contemplating on the steering wheel. Has anyone removed or disabled the srs system in their BJ before. How easy is it to be done or can you just swap the steering wheel etc. Talked to a mechanic and he told me that if you disable the srs system you will always have the srs error light on and there is a chance that the passenger side bag can explode at any time. If that happens I don't think my girlfriend will be too happy...hehe. Now if I remove the steering wheel and replace it with a momo wheel for example does that mean that it wouldn't be road worthy because i've heard you cant change the wheel if you have a air bag system

now my options are.....should I retrim the stock steering wheel??? or
change the wheel with a new one (which I would prefer!!!)
Any remarks or suggestions would be tops
thanks guys
$IK323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 16-11-2004, 10:26 PM   #2
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Re: WHAT TO DO??

Quote:
Originally Posted by $IK323
Now if I remove the steering wheel and replace it with a momo wheel for example does that mean that it wouldn't be road worthy because i've heard you cant change the wheel if you have a air bag system
100% correct.. You will have to replace the standard SRS airbag wheel with an aftermarket wheel that has an airbag. They're bloody hard to find, and finding a decent one will be harder and probably hella expensive too! I know that Chipa is also looking for an aftermarket wheel with airbag, so you can PM him and discuss what he has found.

Regards
Adam

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 11:47 PM   #3
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
I can only sum up my search with a quote from Spaceballs: "We aint found ****!" :evil:

I haven't been looking super hard, but so far I've only found a few in the US that looked ultra ugly!

If I could find a SRS wheel similar to Dan's I'd be very happy!

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 01:40 AM   #4
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
as far as i know, Momo are the only makers of aftermaket airbag wheels.

but what about an MX5 wheel?

i would *imagine* that if you stay within the mazda family, other mazda wheels will fit and work.

you'd think they'd be sensible enough to make it that way...but knowing mazda, probably not :roll:

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 09:43 AM   #5
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
The MX5 steering wheel would have to be one of the sexiest airbag steering wheels I have ever seen.

They are Nardi Torino's and come in a few different models, woodgrain steering wheels as well as my leather wrapped one.

Here is a picture, although we were shooting the old head unit at the time, you can see the wheel and how small the airbag portion was.

The newest MX5 steering wheels are not Nardi's but look exactly the same so I figure mazda are making them in house these days.

Best of luck!

KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
chipa
Crazy Member

That actually near identical to the nardi I already have in my SP20! thats sorta one of the reasons I haven't tried too hard to find a new one. the OE aint too bad...

Old 17-11-2004, 04:47 PM   #7
Matt

i thought that these are the same steering wheels

7 out of 7 for 2004
Best Club Display - Sydney Car Festival 2005
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 05:50 PM   #8
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
I'd love to have one in my car.. even if the airbag doesn't work! The Nardi wheel is nice..

AP

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 07:39 PM   #9
chipa
Crazy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
i thought that these are the same steering wheels
Only difference that I can see is that the sp20's have a two tone wheel.

Old 17-11-2004, 11:08 PM   #10
$IK323

i looked into the mx5 wheels...called the wreckers and he said that I converted the mx5 wheel to my bj I would have to change the whole airbag system to be compatible with the mx5.....is this true???
Old 18-11-2004, 09:38 AM   #11
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by $IK323
i looked into the mx5 wheels...called the wreckers and he said that I converted the mx5 wheel to my bj I would have to change the whole airbag system to be compatible with the mx5.....is this true???

hehe i reckon the only way to find out would be to fit one then slam into a tree :P

j.kz of course....as it hasnt been done before im guessing that there would need to be a fair bit of diagnostic work done to determin this

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 08:23 PM   #12
dfvadr

Car: ss , sp20 , 94ba
the mx5 an the sp20 r the same steering wheel the mazda splines are the same so it will fit straight on

now to install disconnect ur battery take out plugs on the underside off steering wheel undo 10mm bolts an remove airbag as a whole just unplug that yellow wire remove wheel , now put on new wheel plug in yellow wire [just a plug] install airbag put in 10mm bolts an rubber plugs , now connect battery turn key to on wait a few seconds now start car light should b out an will not stay on

i have had both my airbags out a few times with no probs , always make sure key is off an u disconnect battery first or it could go off in ur face
- 18"ame's
- custom interior
- kenwood head unit , pioneer speakers driven by 800 watt amp , kicker subs driven by 1000 watt amps each sub [135.2db at supernats], two 1th caps 4 tv screens dvd player
- xbox
- airbag suspension with gas strut towers
- custom plates an airbrushing on bonnet
dfvadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #13
$IK323

cheers odd12c.....will take your word for it...
now just gotta get my hands on an mx5 wheel....and some dough...
will ring the wreckers 2moro...thanks for all the help guys