Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 17-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
Rambo sp20

Car: 2001 323 SP20
I need help with this money pit

Hi guys,

I wish I could post up here with what mods I've done to my 2001 323 sp20 hatch, but unfortunately I've been having some very expensive issues and I need your help please.

For starters, I've put a diy CAI and I've put an autoexe rear strut brace on it (handles like its on rails!!) other than that, the car is stock.

On Australia Day driving back from Lorne, the engine overheated and basically cooked itself just outside otway Forrest. Just south of winchelsea. My car was serviced 3000km prior to this happening. The mechanic said it was the oil pump that what itself. By the time I realised the car overheated, it was too late. The result was no compression in cylinders 1 and 4, and when he was testing it, water and oil was shooting out of the engine.

My choices were;
A. Rebuild the engine
B. Secondhand engine

I went with option B. Bought a second hand engine from Allmaz with 75,000km on it and had it delivered to whinchelsea.

While the engine was out, I had the flywheel lightened and balanced and reinstalled, as well as a new bearing for it as it had seized.

The new engine went back in on Sunday and I picked it up yesterday. After driving it for about 3 hours all up, there are A LOT of problems with it now. I'm f***ing furious with this guy, who's response was "it will be right."

These things are;
1. Left hand front wheel making a metallic noise as if something is touching on the disc.
2. Abs warning light stays on and occasionally the handbrake light comes on as well.
3. The battery is slowly going flat.
4. The engine accelerates slowly but the revs are going up as per normal.
5. When hard accelerating, the car switches itself off, tacho dies and a light comes on (shape of a car with a key in it), then the car turns itself back on.
6. A noise that sounds like a horn and metallic (doesn't make sense I know) comes on randomly and lasts for a few seconds (happened 5 times).

I've spent $1800 on just the engine and transplant, and another $766 for tyres to go on it in the last 3 weeks. I'm angry and upset as I love the car, and I thought it would be ready to drive now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm taking it to another mechanic tomorrow for another opinion as well, but I'm consulting you Mazda experts first.

Thank you in advance. Hopefully it's only a little thing
Rambo sp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 17-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
These things are;
1. Left hand front wheel making a metallic noise as if something is touching on the disc. not uncommon if the rotor have been touched. which they would have been totally removed to access the axles from the gearbox. remove wheel and do visual check of something touching rotors.
2. Abs warning light stays on and occasionally the handbrake light comes on as well. check fluid level in brake resivour.
3. The battery is slowly going flat. alternator not earth correctly.
4. The engine accelerates slowly but the revs are going up as per normal. ???
5. When hard accelerating, the car switches itself off, tacho dies and a light comes on (shape of a car with a key in it), then the car turns itself back on. again ??? - but normally this is a wiring connection issue.
6. A noise that sounds like a horn and metallic (doesn't make sense I know) comes on randomly and lasts for a few seconds (happened 5 times).
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Rambo sp20

Car: 2001 323 SP20
Thanks for the help. It's all sorted now. Went to a different mechanic. Dust sheilds were scraping on the disc, alternator wasn't plugged in, nearly every old on the subframe was loose etc. thanks for your help. All up this conversion cost me $2,225. Still need ignition leads haha now it should be a great car again.
Rambo sp20 is offline   Reply With Quote