Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 16-06-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
astinasp

Airbox on SP

I've read that taking out the ducting around the airbox on a DOHC engine can improve performance, esp. at high revs? By this i mean the plastic bit that goes over the top of the radiator and the ducting in the left-front guard under the airbox. Will there be any side effects? ie. less low rpm torque?
astinasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 16-06-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
Not sure about the radiator but the ducting in the Left guard should connect to a resonator chamber which is designed to smoothen the air flow. It also inhibits the air flow slightly so removing it will def give a little more nip in the top end.

Most of the BA guys remove the resonator and replace it with some Ag line ducting to the front bar which will suck cold air. This also gives an extra bit of nip 2.
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
93SP

There's a guy in Brissie who who does awesome CAI kits (think they are polished aluminium or stainless steel) for BG Astinas and Laser TX-3s (he has a show TX-3).

Will post back here when I find out his contact details, I lost them in a reformat...

Dan
93SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2003, 09:00 PM   #4
ezin
AstinaGT Regular

Air box mod

I own an Sp20 and found that you can keep the standard air intake and box!
Where the cold air intake starts at the front grille, Modifiy this section! Remove the grille and cut out the left hand top bit of the grille! Use a soldering iron with a cutting blade + a file to make it neat! Now u should be able to look through and see the front a/c condensor! Get some thin plastic flexible sheet (Bunnings) + some black selastic and cut out bits to form a scoop that takes up half the grille! Then using black selastic and masking tape to hold the bits in place! stick the bits in place to make the scoop! This will take a couple of hours to make it look neat! Now remove the horn and turn it around! Now put the grille back in place and thats it! I found a huge difference after 70kmh cause the air is being rammed in! + u dont get that WWWOOOAAAPPP! sound! Cause the resonator box is still connected! I did all this for free and highly recomend doing so before forking out for a pod that sucks in hot air!
ezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2003, 09:16 PM   #5
JynX

the sound is what its all about!
Old 15-07-2003, 09:45 PM   #6
ezin
AstinaGT Regular

The only thing the sound represents is slow air flow! The higher the air flow the quieter the sound! That WWWOOAAPPP sound is the sound of slow air-flow and your engine not puting out as much as it could! I would say test my theory on the dyno but my mod requires the car to be moving to ram all the air going into the grille to be ramed into the engine! But who cares about the sound! i want the push in the back while listening to some tunes! everyone 2 there own i supose!
Old 15-07-2003, 11:05 PM   #7
JynX

hahah only jokin... i get a strange wail from mine due to the corrogations in the ag line
Old 15-07-2003, 11:31 PM   #8
ezin
AstinaGT Regular

Ha! its all good! i would put a new bit of pipe in that doesn't have the corragations u speak off! Then put the pod in a cold air box with a huge pipe going to the front of the car for air! If mounted properly im sure this would be the best way to go on any car! For sound and performace!
Old 16-07-2003, 12:30 AM   #9
Toyboy

Car: Ba Astina
Send a message via MSN to Toyboy
Yeah thats how i have mine set up,the Pod filter in side a custom made airbox which fully surrounds the pod filter with a 4inch coolair feed straight from the front bar,and i can tell ya it works damn well :wink:
Old 16-07-2003, 11:09 AM   #10
JynX

Pods are for queers like Theo

You cant get pipe that doesnt have corrogations with the same flexability as ag line. You could use PVC but could be quite xpensive.

Doesnt bother me anyway, new motor will mean a different setup all together
Old 23-07-2003, 01:22 PM   #11
O-LYM-PIC
AstinaGT Regular

Re: Airbox on SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by astinasp
I've read that taking out the ducting around the airbox on a DOHC engine can improve performance, esp. at high revs? By this i mean the plastic bit that goes over the top of the radiator and the ducting in the left-front guard under the airbox. Will there be any side effects? ie. less low rpm torque?
thats the BG SP rite??
ive taken out the pipping from the afm, and that ****ty piece of plastic pipe from above the radiator. but i havent taken out the pipe that comes up from the wheel arch, because it seems just 2 blow cold air up into the engine bay, and doesnt really block anything.
i dont really no about the side effects, nothing bad so far has happened, but i cant really say that it gives any real kick up the ass. maybe a bit in the high rev end.
however it does give the engine a much deaper sound when u hit the petrol.
i say giv it ago, if u dont like it all goes back really easy.
manuel

"her name was veronica,
she had an ass the size of south america"
-wyclef
O-LYM-PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2003, 01:25 PM   #12
O-LYM-PIC
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93SP
There's a guy in Brissie who who does awesome CAI kits (think they are polished aluminium or stainless steel) for BG Astinas and Laser TX-3s (he has a show TX-3).

Will post back here when I find out his contact details, I lost them in a reformat...

Dan
hey how exactly does that CAI for a BG work?? what does he just run it into the afm?? id like 2 see how he runs it.

"her name was veronica,
she had an ass the size of south america"
-wyclef
O-LYM-PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2003, 06:24 PM   #13
93SP

I'm still waiting to hear from the guy. I might have to check through all my e-mail backup CDs to get his details.

Don't know the specifics on how it flows into the AFM off his intake. Will have another look to see what I can come up with.
93SP is offline   Reply With Quote