Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 22-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #41
SAGE

Car: 03 BJ II 323
Thumbs up

Cheers project.r.racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
you need to ask the mechanic the extent of the damage. i old BPT i had bent a rod. the pistons was in 100+ bits, rod in 3 bits, 30mm dia hole in block and whatever came out of the block was enough to snap the starter motor bolts in 2 and send the starting flying into the unknown. the start motor was never found.

not your engine isn't that badly damaged. but a bent rod can damage everything it's attached to. piston, crank, cylinder wall, valves etc. or it can be just the rod itself.

you've got 2 options available to you:-
1- open the engine and find out what is damaged. replace or rebuild. could be a $500 job replacing some bottom end parts, could be a $2500 job rebuilding the bottom end of block is damaged, or a $3500 job if valves are damage, as full rebuild will need to be done. you don't know until you open it up. 2 day job up to 2/3 weeks job waiting for parts to come in etc.

2- buy 2nd hand engine. swap in. costings as previously above. 2 day job.

what he is doing is normal practice. if you go to another mechanic, he/she will probably suggest the same. reason being is that option 1 is a royal pain in the arse for everyone involved. and most cannot be bothered dicking around problem solving and bartering prices continiously on the phone with the customer. or the go option 2, and give you a price up front and know what they are in for from start to finish.

really, if you dont like the mechanic, pick up your car and go elsewhere.
SAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #42
maztech

Car: ......
Hey bring the car over and we will smash a new motor in a day and you will be driving home all solved and done - will also check it over front to back for you
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #43
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by maztech View Post
Hey bring the car over and we will smash a new motor in a day and you will be driving home all solved and done - will also check it over front to back for you
This.
Old 23-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #44
SAGE

http://postimage.org/image/fknncth3j/

THe Man,

Have located a FS-ZE with ECU and LOOM- and its AUTO

pasted

Engine
ECU
Harness (from engine to ecu)
Coil Packs
Alternator
Starter
A/C Compressor
Power Steering Pump
Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold
Throttle Body
Spark Plugs

The only real q's is just the auto tran, and if Jarrad is able to manage this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
the gear box is the same, but it needs to be opened up and the shift selector mechanism changed.... it's a relatively easy job for a mechanic like jared

but the torque converter stall speed between the FS-ZE and FP-DE are different... the final drive ratio is also different... but other than that, it should work regardless, probably not optimally, but should still work regardless

with the additional engine torque from the FS engine, mazda also engineered the motor mount by the radiator to have a torque damper on the auto box FS engine cars... it makes a considerable difference in shift quality... shift shock is reduced... such conversion is easy by just using the SP20 crossmember and mount bracket... mount is the same

Last edited by SAGE; 23-02-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 23-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #45
SAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA4kd3zxElw

Same as my model- same colour too- Astina BJ II- with FS-ZE fitted- probably manual.

Looks like somone from these forums ?

sounds pretty flippin amazing.

Last edited by SAGE; 23-02-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 23-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #46
maztech

That's Phil's car
Old 23-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #47
SAGE

Quote:
that's phil's car
ha!- nice

Did you do this swap ?

Have PM'ed you.

Last edited by SAGE; 23-02-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 23-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #48
maztech

I didn't bolt it in but I wired the ZE computer up and have done a number of other mods to the car
Old 23-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #49
SAGE

Jarrad, Do you feel you will be ok putting one on a Auto?

Everything is self-included- FS ZE ecu-loom- + $340 for "auto". ( did not have much choice about the transmission- i miss manual- but this car was at a good price, plus had air-con)

Ships from warehouse in Canada.

More then happy to choose yourself- over mechs that have never seen a maz.

-Probably be about 4-6 weeks-

I would get you to take a look a couple of other smaller issues too, would fix you up for it. Need to install new struts soon too.

Can you PM me quote though- for direct swap 1.8litre ( if its priced right- might snap me out of this idea LOL! )

Last edited by SAGE; 23-02-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 23-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #50
maztech

Refer to PM --- are you getting engine , ECU and loom as well as the complete gearbox
Old 23-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #51
TheMAN

Car: .
you always have the choice of converting to a manual now since you want to buy a gearbox anyway.... if you sourced yourself a protege non-ABS gearbox from canada also, and get a 4WD FS-ZE engine, ECU + loom, then consider the swap relatively easy... just change shifter, mounts, driveshafts, and pedals... add a clutch master cylinder and lines also... you can get the driveshafts, mounts and shifter from canada too but that is inadvisable due to rust

the most difficult problem always faced with auto to manual conversions has been electrics, but since you'll have to replace all engine wires for the FS-ZE anyway, there isn't much more to it

as I said earlier in this thread, you also have a choice of modifying your existing auto gearbox to work with the ActivMatic shifter mechanism... the only side effect is a wrong torque converter stall speed and different gear ratios, but it will all work, just not the way mazda designed it

if you decide to stay auto, regardless of gearbox swap or modifying your existing one, you still need to change the gear lever mechanism to the ActivMatic one... you may still need to change the cables... the FWD FS-ZE ECU is *not* designed for use with the normal auto gear lever

Last edited by TheMAN; 24-02-2013 at 12:18 AM.
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #52
maztech

Yeh Ed thats what I think to maybe swap it to manual - I can do all the work to run the auto but it's time to dollars - gearbox and motor swap (auto I am talking ) a lot of time

Run a modified 1.8 maybe with 2.0 cams on standard gearbox is an cheap quick option

A ZE on the standard box and 1.8 ECU will work but not to motors full capacity

ZE motor box and loom / ECU a lot of time and maybe cost

I spent a lot of time designing Phil's harness and perfecting it to do it all again on an auto - I don't know ( maybe I need another challenge ) but time for both myself and the owner of the car
Old 23-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #53
maztech

Saying that though all I have to do is power up the ZE loom and hook it up to the shifter and instrument cluster plus carry out my loom mod
Old 24-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #54
TheMAN

Car: .
yeah, with an auto swap, it's advisable to use the Sport20 gauge cluster too as it has the shift indicators for the ActivMatic... you can also use the canadian 2003 Protege5 cluster but it only comes as silver faces, 230km/h range, and 6500rpm redline

I already have a good idea of what's involved to do an auto FS-ZE swap, but it will take longer... partly because it has never been done before, but mostly due to more modifications needed
Old 24-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #55
maztech

There is your answer Dean -- mate anything is possible but the time and effort to put this into your car it is not worth it -- as Ed said a lot of time has to go into perfecting it - for people like myself and Ed its worth it for our own enjoyment of making a car unique but for me to do this conversion on yours it's not worth the $ it would take - you need to be sensible and get your car running again and keep the cost inline
Old 24-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #56
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGE View Post
Jarrad, Do you feel you will be ok putting one on a Auto?

Everything is self-included- FS ZE ecu-loom- + $340 for "auto". ( did not have much choice about the transmission- i miss manual- but this car was at a good price, plus had air-con)

Ships from warehouse in Canada.

More then happy to choose yourself- over mechs that have never seen a maz.

-Probably be about 4-6 weeks-

I would get you to take a look a couple of other smaller issues too, would fix you up for it. Need to install new struts soon too.

Can you PM me quote though- for direct swap 1.8litre ( if its priced right- might snap me out of this idea LOL! )
I can get you an engine from NZ for less than what this will cost you by the time you add shipping to it.
Also are you that really keen to buy a used JDM engine from Canada off eBay?
Shipping on this is going to be a killer if it is being shipped from Canada.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #57
maztech

After much discussions that is not the right thing to do better off just replacing the motor or fixing it if it is cost effective
Old 24-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #58
phildough
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGE View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA4kd3zxElw

Same as my model- same colour too- Astina BJ II- with FS-ZE fitted- probably manual.

Looks like somone from these forums ?

sounds pretty flippin amazing.
Thanks

Yes that is my car and it does sound flippin amazing.
If you are in Brisbane sometime let me know and I will take you for a spin in it so you can hear it yourself.

Another clip of it on the dyno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah3rWzHz2OU
Old 24-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #59
phildough
Banned

Quote:
After much discussions that is not the right thing to do better off just replacing the motor or fixing it if it is cost effective
There is a complete 1.8 engine beside my shed.
Just needs a close inspection to see if it is actually damaged.
Old 24-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #60
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
there is an FP 1.8L motor at southport wreckers for $550.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote