Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 22-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #10201
Hammo

Car: 03 Sp20
Quote:
Originally Posted by giba View Post
Aaaaaaaand my clutch is dead. Actually I hope thats all thats wrong... =[
Car is sleeping outside down the road right where its stuck for the weekend until i can get it towed to a shop on monday. Oh the joy...
Was bound to happen.
Too many skidz hahaha!!!

chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

If you could choose between your'e dream girl and dream car

What rims would you put on it?

^^^ Click Me For Build Thread ^^^
Hammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #10202
TheMAN

Car: .
describe symptoms?
Old 22-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #10203
giba
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mazda 323 Protege Sports Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammo View Post
Too many skidz hahaha!!!
Im pretty sure you're right.
That plus too many kms. It was due.

Symptoms... I changed from 3rd to 4th and 4th was exactly the same as 3rd. Like same revs for same speed... I kept changing between them but they were exactly the same. Slowed down and the gear leaver WOULD NOT go into 2nd.. Anyway i was nearly home, turned up my street and had way to many revs to get up in 3rd so i rolled to a stop cause i though i would start off from 1st. Couldn't get into first, so i got it into second and tried to take off but it slipped then stalled. Then (cause my battery is due for a new one) it wouldn't start properly i put it in reverse to roll start it backwards (like i had to do this morning anyway) and it started but the gear leaver is now just stuck in reverse. No matter how hard i try, i cant get it out of reverse.... =/ I'm parked on a hill and with the hand brake off and clutch in, it doesn't roll backwards at all... It starts, but i cant take off (backwards) because the clutch just sounds like its slipping it it just stalls. FUN!!!!!
So now its just there with the gear lever stuck in reverse. Makes me think there are bigger issues than the clutch..
200,000kms and bang, engine mount and clutch =]
Old 22-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #10204
TheMAN

hmm
check for a burst clutch hose... it will be next to the passenger side gearbox mount... if that is good:
test the shifter in ALL gears while engine is off, if you can shift (feel and hear for the gears clicking in) all the gears fine, then it's clutch related... either air in the lines, bad master or slave cylinders... you can have someone else inspect for clutch movement by looking at the pivot fork right above the front motor mount (behind the radiator)... it should move if you step on the clutch pedal
if the pivot fork appears to work, then you may have a broken shift fork in your gearbox... it used to be a common occurrence for people breaking the 3-4 shift fork... this was revised in the very last J48s, while the synchro design of the 3-4 gears have changed mid 2002

from my experience, the cause lies in driver error... improper gear shift usage, excessive force/speed used to shift gears.... I'm not trying to lay blame on you because I have no idea what is broken nor know how you drive nor the full story of exactly what happened, but I'm just giving honest facts

I hope it's something simple like a clutch or burst hose!
Old 22-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #10205
giba
AstinaGT Regular

This:
"....the gear leaver is now just stuck in reverse. No matter how hard i try, i cant get it out of reverse...."
"So now its just there with the gear lever stuck in reverse. Makes me think there are bigger issues than the clutch.."
Like it wont come out at all. I'm wondering if something is broken and because i rolled backwards in reverse to start it, something thats broken has jammed it into reverse. (The prob doesn't make sense)
But i do know that gear 3 and 4 had exactly the same speed and revs. It was REALLY weird..
Old 22-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #10206
TheMAN

it's sounding like a broken shift fork... usually gears gets damaged too... the gearbox must be removed first to confirm a clutch issue, then gearbox must be opened to confirm of any internal damage

a sample of the gear oil drained out will also be good clues
Old 22-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #10207
giba
AstinaGT Regular

Ok. Well I know that the clutch was slipping too so I'll be getting a new one of them anyway.
My only concern is that i'm taking it to a clutch place, should a regular clutch shop be able to deal with gearbox issues like that??
Old 23-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #10208
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Got in the mail genuine 2x engine cover gaskets and 2x no.1, 2x no.2, 1x no.3 and 2x no.4 spark plug leads.

So 2 engine cover gaskets and 7 spark p0lug leads for $31.49 delivered to my door. not a bad deal.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #10209
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
so today i stripped my bpt motor that i had bought just 3 weeks ago of FL.com. all was going well. found out the it had a set of b6t rods in it with some bp26 stamped pistons . So im assuming that they where standard pistons.

Now here is for the kicker. I did notice till it was completely apart but the block has a gash taken out of piston bore number three. Its so bad that i cant actually hone it out. so there goes that idea for just replacing rings and bearing.

but then i though to my self.. hmmm wait i have a spare BP series 3 block at home that all we need to do is tap the water and oil in the block and BAM its a bpt block..

WWWEEELLLLL the water tap went well but the oil one not so well. u have to drill about 150mm down into the block to hit the oil gallery that supplies the oil to bearing number 4. well yer we must have been drilling on a slit angle and we cam out the side.

Needless to say at this point im so pissed off that i just dont give two ****s.

so anyway now im looking for a bpt block thats standard bore in size to put all my bpt pistons and b6t rods in..

Lets hope my weekend gets better lol.

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #10210
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
so today i stripped my bpt motor that i had bought just 3 weeks ago of FL.com. all was going well. found out the it had a set of b6t rods in it with some bp26 stamped pistons . So im assuming that they where standard pistons.

Now here is for the kicker. I did notice till it was completely apart but the block has a gash taken out of piston bore number three. Its so bad that i cant actually hone it out. so there goes that idea for just replacing rings and bearing.

but then i though to my self.. hmmm wait i have a spare BP series 3 block at home that all we need to do is tap the water and oil in the block and BAM its a bpt block..

WWWEEELLLLL the water tap went well but the oil one not so well. u have to drill about 150mm down into the block to hit the oil gallery that supplies the oil to bearing number 4. well yer we must have been drilling on a slit angle and we cam out the side.

so anyway now im looking for a bpt block thats standard bore in size to put all my bpt pistons and b6t rods in..

have you thought about getting the first block bored and fitting oversized pistons? it will last longer in the end.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #10211
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
He wants to spend as little as possible on this particular setup Shane, until another upgrade later on. Sucks about the drilling.
Old 24-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #10212
JDM323

does anyone know what the 2.2 626 engines are like for power and reliability?
Old 24-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #10213
maztech

Car: ......
Yeh the old 2.2 - heads are a bit soft and crack other than that they are ok

Why what's your plans -- I think the FS 2.0 is a better motor
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #10214
JDM323

I may have come onto a 5speed 626 that needs the drivers window switch sorting for cheap
for my 323 plans are for a fs-ze when everything comes together on that one, then I will be up for another brisbane trip.
Old 24-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #10215
maztech

Yeh there just a car that's about it nothing special, parts are starting to get hard to come by though - I would try fixing it first though usually just the contacts get dirty inside the switch
Old 24-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #10216
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM323 View Post
have you thought about getting the first block bored and fitting oversized pistons? it will last longer in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
He wants to spend as little as possible on this particular setup Shane, until another upgrade later on. Sucks about the drilling.
it'll be cheaper to spend a few extra $100 now and do it right than much around with this and that now.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #10217
TheMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post

that's what you get for being cheap and not paying a machine shop to drill and tap the holes for you!
Old 24-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #10218
TheMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM323 View Post
does anyone know what the 2.2 626 engines are like for power and reliability?
ultimate sleeper once the 2.2l turbo is swapped in
motor is much stronger than any FS will ever be
Old 24-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #10219
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
that's what you get for being cheap and not paying a machine shop to drill and tap the holes for you!
i didnt do it it was the machine shop that did it.. in a mill and everything.. so please if u dont have anything to say that can help me, please keep you remarks to your self..

Mat

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #10220
maztech

Done much more repair work on the 2.2 than 2.0 in standard form -- there is better cars and motors in turbo form than the old 2.2

Still say the 2.0 head is better and more reliable

Going to sit back with popcorn after Mats post