Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 23-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #221
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
i think u have fould ur calling mate.. ur just full of info hey

sorry to here about the turbo miss match... but chin up and just wait till she is finished.. and see..

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #222
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
i think u have fould ur calling mate.. ur just full of info hey

sorry to here about the turbo miss match... but chin up and just wait till she is finished.. and see..
haha thanks Mat. Think when your pushed to have someone work on ya car & you really can't do the work yourself you get a little paranoid & as you search & learn, things pop up that you prolly never would have bothered with if you weren't spending the big doe & it's a build not very common?

There are a few petrol head OS guys that know their stuff & certainly help but this just makes for more reading lol. I did get caught out with this turbo sizing/numbers bit. Maybe workshop bloke knew what I meant anyway cause he kept stating the 30 not the 35?

I'll talk with him in the morning & find out. I think the turbos already made up that's all that concerns me right now. It'll work out it just shuts ya that's all.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #223
NaughtyGT

......after speaking with Mr Turbo, who put my turbo together, turns out this billet GT3540R is nothing more than a GT3582R Garrett although, spec-for-spec, slight trim difference plus mine uses the better parts in the install

All that crap on the net for nothing

I think as I've mentioned previously. What this essentially equates to is a big-ass blower that spools like a smaller blower yet, powers like a bastard! It's not a GT40 comp wheel at all! That would be up the shat with silly lag & only good up top for drags etc.....not what I'm after @ all. God no!

Mr Turbo Specs are:
Compressor - Wheel 82mm/56 Trim .70 A/R (farkin, huge )
Turbine - Wheel 68mm/84 Trim .63 A/R (again, huge )
*Uses a T04S compressor & T3 inlet flange (I thought T3 exhaust flange myself?)
Rated to 600hp

Garrett trims may be a little different?

Mr Turbo reckon the GT30 series is best on 1.8-2.0L engines. Fark wonder what engines he's talking about? Cosworth? I think these dudes are a bit too extreme wouldn't you say?

again.....I can breathe easy.....phew

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 24-08-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 24-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #224
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
Mr Turbo reckon the GT30 series is best on 1.8-2.0L engines. Fark wonder what engines he's talking about? Cosworth? I think these dudes are a bit too extreme wouldn't you say?[/I]
maybe he is talkin about the 4g63 or rb20's or sr20's

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #225
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
maybe he is talkin about the 4g63 or rb20's or sr20's
from reading Nissan & Mitsu forums yeah probably but most RB25; 25/30 & 30 members use the GT3071 (akaGT30R) with .84 or 1.06 turbine A/R's. A GT35R is rated from 3.0L - 4.5L engines. GT30R is from 2.0L - 3.0L. I know it depends greatly on how heads flow & cams etc & essentially what hp figures they chase for hard core street racing or the drags (naughty fellas )

Mad buggers I still reckon

Old 26-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #226
NaughtyGT

I've decided to take a members advice on another forum who has worked on & owns 4 of these turbocharged 300E's. Concerning the dynamics of these engines & how they work up top & not so much down low so, in order to take advantage of their inherent performance characteristics, I've decided to swap turbine housings. I will run with the .84. & not the .63. I may as well swap it now while it's sitting on bench than later after it's fitted to the car.

I don't want the back pressure & accompanying heat on the turbine wheel & inlet parts that the smaller housing would create. Besides. The better economy & higher hp I think kinda speaks for itself

Just so happens workshop has an .84 housing from a commodore they worked on so it isn't a big deal.

Old 27-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #227
NaughtyGT

Just realised today guys. Been 3 months since the donor engine came out of a running car & delivered to the workshop. So basically, engine hasn't been turned over @ all. It still sits upside down with sump off for about a month due to block needing tapping for oil return line.

This is why I can't stand workshops. You accept that their busy. You book car in when it suits THEM. Once it's there. They complain that their busy now & you get farked around as they do a little here & a little there.

I hate engines sitting around. Especially this one. No coolant running through head. No oil moved around the block etc.

Really over these pricks Long for the day I can here the thing running @ least.

Hard to imagine it's been 3 months since I sourced the engine from Sydney You wonder why you get pissed @ people

....and to top it off they state they want the car outta there shop for the space.......excuse mwa? well helloooooo......get into it then farkers!.........rant finished

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 27-08-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #228
NaughtyGT

......bit a narly talk with workshop today. They've done nothing much. Turbo is sitting waiting for the larger housing to be fitted. Beautiful piece fark me dead! Also. Engine is so clean! Just nothing much done as they need the engine in the car before they finish making up the manifolds.

Been researching the crap out of LSD differences, not the drug haha, as I have a LSD up in Q'Land I've been offered that's out of a Cosworth Merc 2.3L 16V job. The ants pants for my car a it bolts straight onto my axle housings. Also comes with a kit to tighten up the gears & so make it behave anew.

Definitely great for traction, reducing wheel spin in the dry but in the wet it'll make the car even more scary. Fishtailing all over the place unfortunately.

I mainly want it for strength as the stock diff can only support around 200hp. Even though workshop believes it'll still be OK due to the auto soaking up some of the punch to the wheels. If it was a manual I'd be stuffed.

Just another decision to make fark it........

ALSO: I've given up chasing the HP target. I wanna know how the car handles boost before I try & reach some figure. I should just let the dyno do it's thing & tune the car, not make some HP rating. Until I know how the engine likes 10psi & what HP this reaches, I won't know what HP I can hope to achieve? If it gets me 230rwkw @ 10psi (280ish on a Mustang dyno btw......US bull**** figures) than good! If only 200? Then I'll increment it up to 12.....14?

Kinda let the engine tell me where it wants to work?

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 06-09-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #229
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Quote:
Just realised today guys. Been 3 months since the donor engine came out of a running car & delivered to the workshop. So basically, engine hasn't been turned over @ all. It still sits upside down with sump off for about a month due to block needing tapping for oil return line.

This is why I can't stand workshops. You accept that their busy. You book car in when it suits THEM. Once it's there. They complain that their busy now & you get farked around as they do a little here & a little there.

I hate engines sitting around. Especially this one. No coolant running through head. No oil moved around the block etc.

Really over these pricks Long for the day I can here the thing running @ least.

Hard to imagine it's been 3 months since I sourced the engine from Sydney You wonder why you get pissed @ people

....and to top it off they state they want the car outta there shop for the space.......excuse mwa? well helloooooo......get into it then farkers!.........rant finished

Hey,
question :

why are you abit upset that your engine has not started for 3 months or so ?

is it cause you want it done ? which i understand or is it not healthy for it with no oil ? or ?

just curious - as mind is probably going to sit even longer like 8 months or more to a year . but they tell me its okay .
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #230
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble323 View Post
Hey,
question :

why are you abit upset that your engine has not started for 3 months or so ?

is it cause you want it done ? which i understand or is it not healthy for it with no oil ? or ?

just curious - as mind is probably going to sit even longer like 8 months or more to a year . but they tell me its okay .
Sorry if I've worried you Noble. 2 main reasons:

I am expecting so much from this engine so to have it taken from a driven car, nice & lubricated to just have it sit with sump & manifolds off really erks me. These engines in such good nick with low mileage aren't exactly easy to pick up. I'm a little paranoid really.

The other main reason is due to what happened to original engine. I know it was abused & all but seeing what electrolysis can do to an engine makes you cringe. I guess I'm over-protective with this engine.

It'll be alright. My GT engine has sat for 7 months so far but I crank it over by hand on the stand regularly & even pore coolant in channels When you have really rare engines & they're in great shape they should be driven not sitting as a general rule.

Also. Yes I do want them to finish the car so I can take it for some drives in Summer

Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #231
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I ended up offering progress payments with the HB. Show me some progress and I'll make a payment.
My 'sort project that never left the ground I payed a deposit and went back 12 months later after no progress and demanded 100% back. Did a quick run by last week and five years later the shell is still sitting there untouched.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #232
NaughtyGT

****s ya to tears I know......I paid them for the parts so they would move their asses.....I see what you mean though.

Makes you laugh though when they tell you they want the space (your car gone)......

Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #233
NaughtyGT

Explained to the workshop yesterday that I want the car back well before Chrissie so I can go away a bit over January in it. Again they stated they'd like the room & it'd be good to get it finished......hopefully they will attack it pretty hard next week.

I just don't want any unforeseen dramas happening @ the end & get told it'll take more time etc.

Still have the "To LSD or not?" saga to sort. My main concern is that the stock diff won't cope with the power output. The auto will calm the wheel spin down somewhat in the dry, as workshop pointed out yesterday but, in the wet it will be pretty scary unless I be diligent to back the throttle off & let the car coast around without boost or little boost anyway. The LSD isn't cheap either Bargain due to import costs & kit thrown in but still quite an expense!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #234
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Quote:
Sorry if I've worried you Noble. 2 main reasons:

I am expecting so much from this engine so to have it taken from a driven car, nice & lubricated to just have it sit with sump & manifolds off really erks me. These engines in such good nick with low mileage aren't exactly easy to pick up. I'm a little paranoid really.

The other main reason is due to what happened to original engine. I know it was abused & all but seeing what electrolysis can do to an engine makes you cringe. I guess I'm over-protective with this engine.

It'll be alright. My GT engine has sat for 7 months so far but I crank it over by hand on the stand regularly & even pore coolant in channels When you have really rare engines & they're in great shape they should be driven not sitting as a general rule.

Also. Yes I do want them to finish the car so I can take it for some drives in Summer
Thanks for that lol

yeah cause i was thinking its been (for me) now 7 months engine is kinda stripped and havnt moved any crank, camshaft and no oil anywhere and another maybe 10 months before its altogether and into my engine, and thought if you left it out for a long time something would go wrong or not start when i read your post lol

Well honestly champ i hope you get the car on the road and no rush jobs is made - thats probably the worst.
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #235
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble323 View Post
Well honestly champ i hope you get the car on the road and no rush jobs is made - thats probably the worst.
It's their hypocrisy that erks me the most. Complain about the car taking up space yet they havn't even tapped the block net alone put the engine in bay

They can't make the manifolds until engine is in cause' they want to get them fitting right the first time.........heeeelloooooo .......their the ones' taking all this work on while my car sits idle underneath another's car on the hoist.

They couldn't be bothered charging my battery though I've asked them twice. New turbos' just sitting in bay facing the door.

He knows his **** this guy but hopeless @ organising his time. Took too much work on @ once the toss!

Tbh, your all too typical workshop ethic. Couldn't give a fark about customers' gear. Just work on stuff & that's that........wreckers!!!! don't get me stated on these bums! Had to drive 4hr round trip to demand a cheque off this Abdul cnut yesterday. More of my time & energy wasted. If I added up all the time/stress/$$$ this turkeys' cost me. All I managed to pilfa from him was a spare starter motor Fark him I was gnna kill the prick before long

Have I learned some valuable lessons over the past year or what?

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 08-09-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #236
NaughtyGT

Picked up cheque from "Ali farkin' Abdul" the cnut Tuesday. Cashed it yesterday. Now he's out f my life the weed......$2100 owed since June! I had to tread lightly so he'd drop the offer for a store credit. These cnuts don't care about anyone elses welfare as they have no heart. Just watch what line of people you do business with folk. Don't wanna see others go through the crap I had to endure

Anyway. Hopefully workshop will have some major stuff done by end of next week.

Again. This is why I normally work on my own cars. I'll be doing all the work on the 323 that's for farkin sure

Old 09-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #237
NaughtyGT

Below is a very well layed out article with FAQ's listed regarding Turbos & their associated bolt ons ie: wastegates, boost controllers, as well as info regarding Intercoolers, knock sensors & fuel octane explained:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...nter/faqs.html

Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #238
NaughtyGT

Just a bit of an update on my very near future plans:

Workshop will be mounting TB/Mixer underneath the custom Plenum, in the middle to ensure LPG vapour spreads evenly across all pots. If it was injected, he would have run it in front of first cylinder as was originally planned & what most have done also. LPG changes everything though I guess.

This means the tb will be upside down & feed downwards & then turns toward intercooler via a half-horse shoe bend.

Their still busy mind you the sods. Oh well, more time to put away for other stuff like the springs (all need replacing as they were cut by previous owner ) & possible brake upgrade? Will see how current set up works when I get to drive it though first. __________________

Planning out mods I want to do soon whilst I'm awaiting return of car from workshop along with mods I want to get stuck into once car comes home from workshop.

While I'm waiting I wanna remove grill from bonnet & paint it up satin black. If it looks the part then look at powder-coating it along with perhaps wheel centres? Also paint the boot strip holding rear license plate lights on matching satin black along with the boot star emblem.

First thing I want to definitely tackle once it's home is engine bay heat. This includes heat wrapping the inlet runners & custom extractors. Probably getting a Turbo blanket. Tastefully cutting into front bar & inserting mesh, painting mesh black. I want to avoid bonnet scoops to let air into bay as I don't want to draw attention at this stage.

Also. Looking at a set of 18 x 8" BBS lookalikes. Only reason is they are "brand new" being sold privately so, very tempting....hmmmmmm.....

Old 01-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #239
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
You have patience, I'll give you that!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #240
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
You have patience, I'll give you that!
Did drive me mad for a while but now I just accept their slack & use the time to save a bit more & learn a bit I guess. Options are pretty limited for the moment while car's in pieces.