Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 23-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
jb0101

Car: astina
'94 BG Astina rewiring

Hey all,

First time post.

So here's the story. Had an issue with my Astina overheating.

The first time it happened, it went back to normal the next day.

So, the second time it happened I thought "It will probably go back to normal again tomorrow - just nurse it". Bloody hot day + traffic = coolant seal breach. Took it to a service place who said head gasket had gone, so I put in some seal-tite to see if that would work, no coolant leakages since. That was about 2 months ago.

When that happened, the aircon has stopped working and the car only stays cool when it's moving. When it sits and idles, the temp creeps up.

The aircon radiator fan doesn't seem to be working, but the coolant radiator fan does appear to turn on, even though the car only stays cool whilst moving.

Also the radiator fan every now and again stays on after the car has been switched off.

About a week ago, the engine started idling at 2K. It idles steady at 2K for the first few minutes while it warms up, then once warm it bounces up and down between 1900 and 2100. Based on this thread:

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17767 (I'm hoping there are no rules against linking other forums)

... I think the coolant sensor might have stopped working.

So fun times for the old Astina.

Being an older car, I don't really want to spend big amounts of $$$ for an auto electrician to go over the whole thing, as there seem to be a few things going funny and it could cost a bit in labour.

My best guess - based on looking at the condition of some of the wire sheething, is that the car overheating may have started cooking some of the wiring. I can post a photo if that helps.

So my question is, how do I test to see if the wiring is an issue, and if it is, how tricky would they be to replace?

I have had a go servicing and replacing a few things on the car so far - eg oil/filters etc, but also exhaust gaskets and mufflers, rocker cover gasket etc, and generally do a bit of DIY and simple electrical work at home (eg power points and wiring for new lights).

I know it would obviously be better to get a auto electrician to look at it, and I may well do that to find out what's wrong instead of trying to diagnose myself, but if comes back and says that some of the wiring is cooked and needs to be replaced, how difficult is it?

Cheers
jb0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links