Go Back   AstinaGT Forums

1993 Astina SP

FEM’s AstinaGT Forums Photo Gallery
1993 Astina SP
Well,

My story..

Years and years ago my brother bought a white S2 SP Astina. After he was done with it, I got in it in late 2006. As I became more enthoused with the vehicle and began to learn more about it. I searched for more information about them and quickly found this forum - A university of information about the car..

Over the few months I had the vehicle, I started to learn how to drive it well and started to get bored with the power it had. As soon as I heard about the turbo model (Familia) and its rally history, I thought to myself that I must have one! Implusive, I know.. but I was so impressed with the N/A version, I figured the turbo conversion would be a whole lot better! So, I searched around for a bit and eventually found a car that had already been converted.. 323kids car!

I sold my white SP in Feb 07 to a gentleman on the Gold Coast for $1250 and bought Ryan's red 323 turbo.

So, the story begins..

Early march 2007 I bought the car for $3100 with a Microtech and a BPT conversion. It had a few other things like body kit and wheels aswell.

I knew full well the car needed work but not as much as I anticipated.. The whole deal was pending on the vehicle starting.. eventually i got too impatient with waiting (after 4 weeks), I towed it back to Brisbane from the Gold Coast on the back of a 2.7 Lux.. not cool!

I took it to Andrews house (B3M) that night to see if what was wrong. I had never met him before, it was a scary experience dropping a car off to a guy I didn't know. After a bit of tinkering, all it need was four spark plugs and wahlah!

The months rolled on, more and more problems began to arise.. By June 07, I had spent over $3000 on the vehicle. Normally, spending 3k on a car, you would expect some cool things, right? No, 3k was spent just to keep it moving.. Just to keep it on the road.

Also, around that time, I had a custom built exhaust fitted to the vehicle, follow by a tune. I had planned for a new Garret turbo, forged pistons, HD rods.. you know, the usual. So, I got a 3" exhaust fitted.

The car ran 200% better after all this took place and I thought the car was going really well and things were starting to settle down.

Few more months rolled by and it was around August 07 when I cracked the sh!ts. After 100's of little things going wrong and the car never seeming to be "right", you can imagine how annoyed I was..

One night, a mate took the car out to see his girlfriend and on the way out the right hand CV starting clicking and blew the boot, causing sh!t loads of oil to go everywhere, adding to the oily, dirty, disgusting greasy mess that it already was..

Few days later I went out a bought another red SP. I made sure I drove a few and tested them to make sure they were straight. The third vehicle I drove, I bought. $1450 later, I asked B3Motorsport to convert the BPT engine into this new shell. I dropped the car round to Andrew's place so they could start work.

At this stage, I was after something that was reliable and quick. I wanted something that not many others had, I wanted my car to be.. perfect.

I went out and spent over $3500 to make sure everthing was right. I bought new seals, fluids, coolants, hoses, belts oils.. you name it. I also ordered new custom 2200lbs clutch made by direct clutch here in Brisbane.

I didnt just want my engine to run well, but i wanted my bay to have a "wow" factor too! So, i got all the hoses and everything covered in a red sheath to add glitz factor. The engine bay was deloomed and the microtech was 100% rewired and hidden. The ignition coil was moved and the engine bay was completly degreesed and cleaned to make it absolutly immaculate.. I went all out!

I left to new shell to be worked out and still drove around in the turbo. During the time that the new shell was being prep'd for its new engine fitout, I blew my top raditor hoses, both CV's, the diff and the gearbox housing all at once..

So, in the next few days I hitched a car from a mate and drove out to get some brand spanking new CV's for the new car from Driveline Services. I was without a car for 6 weeks while I had my engine swapped into the new body.

The day came where it was ready to pick the new baby up.. after lots of visits and drop offs to Andy's, it was werid but exciting arriving, knowing that I was leaving in the new BPT!

I drove it out the driveway, giving it some boost and having some fun when i heard a awful grinding sound.. the front bearings had collasped! Ahh!!! I worked out the problem a little to late and had to get the front hubs rebuilt and new bearings. While the car was in the shop I got 4 new rotors and all the calipers rebuilts and all new brake pads with new fluid through out... I will leave it to your imagination how much it cost..

It was early november when the car was runnning really well. New clutch, new bearings.. fresh everything.. it was sweet. It had been a long haul and after $13 000, I had a decent car i could start work on..

I found a intercooler that suited my needs perfected, a custom built PWR cooler, and piping! I fitted that with a mate. We also changed the front bar for exposure reasons - worked out in the end. That was the start of the next stage, where I would be getting internals done with a new Garret and everything..

Soon later, in late November plans changed dramatically and I had to sell up. The BPT was too much to handle at that stage, i was spending $250 a week on fuel due to work tasks and i was going through oil every month due to services.. I also had 4 new tyres needed and rego coming up! Yet again... another $2000 leaving my account...

I sold my beloved SPT on the 19th Jan 2008, after a long, fun and frustrating ride... The SPT was off the road as soon as it was sold pending payment. So, I bought a R31 skyline. Within days of registrating it, it was written off on the 25th Dec 07 - some idiot ran a red. Been a RWD, it was a bit different and more fun.. i miss it. The next day i bought another SP Astina, this time a S2! The car was a TOTAL piece of crap, many things were wrong with it. Over the past few weeks i have been pouring some more love and attention into it and its starting to come clean.

Many people think that i should move on to bigger and better things than Mazda Astina's.. especially the old, dying ones! Personally, I dont think so. I cant find another car as good as the SP astina for $1000! They are fantastic on the roads, handle like a go kart and have a killer motor in them! The BP DOHC is a fantastic unit.. they are rev'ie little things and the best part is.. nobody really knows about them! I say, stick with the little Astina for another year or so!

Plans for the new SP?

.. Nothing special.

I have nice stereo gear in the car, Focal and Soundstream, so that makes me happy!

The SP is just stock and i will be keeping it that way, just the way i like it. The SPT was a mother to drive, it was very fun but when doing 600km a day in it for about a week, it got a bit too much. It was very "much a 'drivers' car and had to be "driven" (For lack of better terms) 110% of the way.. I like the more standard cars where i can get it, start it and drive away. Not having to keep and eye on 4 or 5 gauges at a time is excelent

When i first signed up to this forum I didnt know alot about the Astina's. During the time I had my BPT I learnt alot of things.. the hard way. This forum has been nothing short of helpful, thanks to all the people on here! It is an excelent source of information and there are some great people on here.

I want to thank a few fellows on this forum for helping me out with previous SPT and the new SP, they have been excelent and very helpful

Dave - 89sp1.8 (now a 92 SP ) < Awesome bloke!
Dave - DavoAust
Jonny - Zappy65
Greg - Astroboy

Few other fellows from the other FL.com forum too..

Thanks heaps gents!

Pics below!

Keep it real,

Dan

Gallery Statistics
Member: FEM
Created: 15-06-2007 11:32 AM
Last Modified: 03-03-2008 12:44 AM
Views: 5077
Comments: 20

Comments
Author Comment Date
FEM yeahh they are daves old wheels 03-03-2008
marcs_sp20 I live in Silkstone in Ippytown dan... Are those daves old rims? 03-03-2008
tinastar where do you live marc? 21-01-2008
marcs_sp20 lol, Jon u should be move to the west, its the best 21-01-2008
karamollaoglu haha when u told me u had alot of problems with the turbo astina i didnt know it went that far...thats a sh*tload of money that you used up too!! 21-01-2008
zappy65 still to far for me.... 20-01-2008
tinastar Jonny, i live in the West.. not North or South or East.. West mate, West.. hehehe 20-01-2008
zappy65 man not a problem at all...glad to help...BUT...you should move closer to the south side...the north side sucks...ahahahaha 19-01-2008
tinastar same red, just doing all the doors bonnet back and front, the roof is A1 21-10-2007
marcs_sp20 What colour are u painting it dan? 21-10-2007
tinastar It's getting a new lick of paint soon and getting alot of the exterior straighted and what not. Sorry pics are taking so long but itll looks smashing when its complete Hold out guys..... 21-10-2007
lakstunas that's nice car 15-10-2007
GISS-90BG Awesome car mate. Big fan. Specially the rims. Kit doesn't look wanky either. 13-10-2007
bourbon when you gettin new pics!!! hurry up! if you were comin on satnight you could of got me to taken some 10-10-2007
tinastar haaaaaa, yes 10-10-2007
bourbon haha hasnt fallen off at a joint yet has it 20-09-2007
chicaboo How's your exhaust Dan? 20-09-2007
tinastar seriously.. when you get a GTX go to b3 for zorst.. 3" goes hard out man.. they did a smashing job ! 18-06-2007
zappy65 yeah maybe when the time comes the same genius can design mine....like i said befor etina is beautiful...all she needs is some TLC oh and a front bumper...lol 18-06-2007
twilightprotege gee that exhaust looks good, definately a professional install there 17-06-2007