AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance & General Maintenance (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   R to 5th (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1902)

jcywong 03-03-2004 06:26 PM

R to 5th

i just realise one thing. I can shift from reverse gear to 5th when the engine has not started up yet
is that normal??

Cosmo Dude 03-03-2004 07:04 PM

Yes that is normal.
The safety is to stop you grabbing sixth (reverse) at high speed, if you go from reverse to 5th the worst you'll do is stall your car at 10-15km/h

Dogo 03-03-2004 08:35 PM

got me thinking, a bit off topic, but something ive never had absolutely confirmed :

with the car off, is it ok to change gears with the clutch not pressed ?

i dont do it, but often get concerned when i see other ppl doing it.

if i try to picture whats going on in there, i figure that it is bad to shift gears with the engine off no matter whether the clutch is pressed or not. my point being that the gears may press against each other rather than lock in properly since they are not turning

any1 know for 100% certain ??

Nate 03-03-2004 08:49 PM

if you cant find it grind it!!!

Cosmo Dude 03-03-2004 08:59 PM

The forward gears are always connected (gear to gear). All that they are doing is connecting the gear to the shaft, only worry when they start yelling YES, YES, MORE, MORE :roll:

pr1mo 03-03-2004 10:49 PM

on that note ive noticed my gear change (especiall for 1st to 2nd) getting a bit rougher latley, what should i tell the mechanic to check for next time its goes in for a service?

JynX 03-03-2004 11:17 PM

All the clutch does is engage and disengage the output shaft from the motor to the input shaft on the gearbox.

This is interesting... got pretty pictures n all
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch2.htm

platypus 03-03-2004 11:26 PM

ièd only worry if you were on a hill....

go on park pointing up hill in first and then take all the brakes off.... now try to change the gears!!! CRUNCH!!!!

ezin 04-03-2004 12:20 AM

LOL! Cosmo wrote---All that they are doing is connecting the gear to the shaft, only worry when they start yelling YES, YES, MORE, MORE

To much and u might wear out ur shaft! :wink:

Dogo 04-03-2004 08:57 AM

Quote:

on that note ive noticed my gear change (especiall for 1st to 2nd) getting a bit rougher latley
maybe its from damage caused by remote starting the car in gear ? :lol:

do many ppl park their car in gear ? i dont. not even on hills. does the pressure of the car's weight against the gear cause any problems ?

mrpayner 04-03-2004 12:33 PM

I park mine in gear.. and if it's on a hill I always put it in the opposite direction.. so if the nose is pointing downhill i'll whack it in reverse and visa-versa..

AP

Rupewrecht 04-03-2004 12:58 PM

i dont park mine in gear. it'd have to put added stress on the gearbox as it's holding some of the weight of the car (yes i know the hardbrake would take the majority)

when was the oil last changed in your gearbox pr1mo?

JynX 04-03-2004 02:34 PM

The major reason the gears go in our boxes (turbo wise) is due to the case flexing and the cogs seperating hence there is less contact on the gear and everntually they shear bits off which results in mechanical failure.

When the car is stationary the gears should be engaged correctly so should be relatively strong.
In any case, the strain will probably be picked up by the motor if anything as the 2 input shafts are connected.

I look at it this way - if you park the car on a hill, and the handbrake cable fails, do you want your car rolling down the street??? I leave mine in gear.

Having the car in 1/2/3/4/5/R shouldnt really make alot of difference.

platypus 09-03-2004 08:04 PM

Quote:

I look at it this way - if you park the car on a hill, and the handbrake cable fails, do you want your car rolling down the street??? I leave mine in gear.
thats exactly it... cost to replace gearbox vs the cost of the bimmer/ housethat you just went through AND your car .... sure we pay insurance, but who wants to claim on it?

the gears don't normally hold the car straight away, there is a little leeway before they strain on... you can try it by turning off the engine and leaving the hand brake off, engage gear against hill....

it probably does strain the gear box, but i'm sure that driving hard would starin the gear box more!!

adamack 10-03-2004 01:46 AM

I notice in my BG when changing from 1st to 2nd there is a small grind/crunch. I have the clutch all the way in but it still does it. Mainly when the car is cold though. Time for a new gearbox perhaps?