AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance & General Maintenance (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   having couple of problems with bg astina sohc (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7566)

lil_astina 19-09-2006 02:39 PM

having couple of problems with bg astina sohc

firstly; when i start my car up it idle's high (around 2000 rpm) for about 5 to 10 minutes before it settles down to about 850rpm and secondly does anyone else have lots of freeplay with the gear stick while its in gear like moving it side to side is there as easy fix, i replced the rubber washes underneath the car and still moves side to side quiet a bit. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

matt

Ripper323 19-09-2006 03:56 PM

I'm not sure about your high idle problem, does it go down if you rev the car a little when it is revving high? It could be the water temp sensor on the engine, I would imagine the car is supposed to rev a little high on start up when cold, and as it warms up, it slows the revs down. Someone on here will know what it is anyway.
Your gear stick problem should be a matter of replacing the bushes under the gear stick, and also the bushes where the linkages attach to the gearbox.

mill_mobile 20-09-2006 07:59 AM

When i first start my BJ it is up around 1500rpm until the car warms up, then it goes right down.
Would it be right in saying that the 2000 would be OK/normal as long as it goes down when car is warmed up???

mazdamanik 20-09-2006 08:05 AM

shouldnt be quite that high but there is an idol speed adjustment so u can bring it down which in turn brings down the warm up idol, as for the gear thing, i think its just a BG thing that how they are

Ripper323 20-09-2006 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mill_mobile
When i first start my BJ it is up around 1500rpm until the car warms up, then it goes right down.
Would it be right in saying that the 2000 would be OK/normal as long as it goes down when car is warmed up???

It should rev higher when it's first started, but not for 5-10 mins.

LYNX 20-09-2006 02:29 PM

My bg SOHC firstly starts up at 2000rpm and drops down to 1500rpm in the first 2mins of it starting up after its warm it sits about 500rpm. My gear stick moves side to side constantly its the bushings in the gear stick i think. correct me if im wrong

bourbon 20-09-2006 04:29 PM

dont worry tooo much lil stina, my idle is the same as yours. i reckon its better to have high idle speed when cold, as it wont stall easily, and also the gearstick thing happens in mine too it has to be a mazda thing, maybe put in a short shifter and it wont seem to move as much.

mill_mobile 20-09-2006 04:35 PM

Yeah, i agree better to be a little high....

I had an old Corolla before i got my Zoom. After a while had quite a bit of trouble with it stalling/choking whenever i would stop at light and that - in the end just had to get the idle speed increased and it was good as gold.

Not too relevant to the post i know, but if you go trying to decrease it you could possibly go too slow and strike the same trouble as i did..... even though i didnt ever adjust mine to go slower - it just occured.

boostedbatman 20-09-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bourbon
....., and also the gearstick thing happens in mine too it has to be a mazda thing, maybe put in a short shifter and it wont seem to move as much.

It is a mazda thing
Its Mazda Bushings
You may change the set under the shifter but be warned there are 2 more sets to check (3 sets in total = 6 bushings)
When fixed there should be bugger all movement

Its one of those wonderful things that will never improve over time
It only gets worse till you find over 5 inces of movement and no idea of which gear you just put it into
For around the cost of a maccas combo per set its worth replacing and sooo easy to do

mill_mobile 20-09-2006 06:16 PM

I watched the BJ when i started it after work today......

Starts at 1500 and within about a minute it goes down to about 1000 and stays there until it is pretty much fully warm.

stewy 20-09-2006 08:31 PM

i have a BG SHOC aswell and my idle is high when its cold too. it sits around 2k until its warm and when warm it sits under 1k about 850. i have thought about changing it but then it will effect the warm idle speed aswell so i have just left it. my gear stick doesnt move at all when in gear , so someone must have fixed the bushes just before i got it yay