View Single Post
Old 19-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
I feel like my car has lost a bit of oomph lately, and I dont know what to put it down to. My first thought is the exhaust. It was previously fitted to a 2.0L that SwiftJimmy had (i think it was an FSZE). is it possible that the diameter is too large and thus reduced back pressure? Could that also be the reason behind the fartiness and raspyness of the exhaust?
I've checked the spark plugs and they're a ok... Coil packs/ignition leads is another thing that COULD be worth mentioning (I'm still a car noob), but apart from that, i have no bloody idea.

If you guys have thoughts on the matter, or think im crazy, i'd love to hear it.
While on the topic of back pressure, you havnt reduced back pressure. Back pressure is a term that refers to the resistance caused by obstructions or tight bends in a vessel along which the fluid is moving.

Given the exhaust is of the same design (in terms of bends etc) backpressure will be relatively the same.

What you've done is increased the diamater of the pipe and thus decreased velocity at low rpm which will result in a drop in low end performance. The trade off is that at higher rpm you can flow more volume at a lower velocity thus improving high rpm. Low velocities is what causes raspiness generally. When does the auto shift?

Could be multiple of things, you've gotten used to it. My car no longer feels fast for example. Otherwise Fuel, Cat, Fuel Filters, Air Filter might need replacing or cleaning etc. It takes about a tank for the stock ecu to adjust its maps for the increased octane.