View Single Post
Old 15-03-2016, 11:57 PM   #27
paulmac

Car: Astina BJ auto
I have finished working on the lights. final configuration is: pair of 3 inch 2004 VW Passat halogen projectors shoe horned into the BA headlamp assembly. bulbs used: low beam a pair of 60 watt 8,000 lumen leds with 2 cree chips. High beam : 2 x 40 watt 4,000 lumen leds each with 4 led chips, one chip mounted on each of 4 sides. These nearly did the job in the low beam, but the 60 watt ones are brighter. The projectors steal half the light from the leds. Going HID via a decent retro fit supplier is the best solution I would think. I didnt want to go the HID route though. I can now drive safely at night, and that was the aim. My solution is pretty fiddly, fine for me. I dont recommend it for anyone else. If you are going led, you have to stick with halogen type projectors, and that pretty much means seeking out later model projectors from the wreckers. I was totally unable to make the standard BA 1994 projectors much better with anything I tried. Ive learnt a lot. My solution does not come close to a proper HID retro fit. You get what you pay for.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote