View Single Post
Old 13-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
AKDubs

Car: 2002 323 Protege SP20
Question 2002 SP20 Gearbox Swap

Hi all,

Firstly, I'd just like to say thanks for letting me join!

Secondly, I'd just like to say, to do with my question, I've been looking through existing posts on here for the better part of two hours (just today) and I can't find an answer to this question anywhere, not even on google. If this is just my lacking searching ability then I would very much appreciate if someone could link me to the correct post.

I hope this is in the right section.

Okay, so,

I have a 2002 323 Protege SP20 and everything seems to be working great, except the gearbox. It appears to have the somewhat common issue (and I say this because I know a few people who've had the same issue in their SP20s) of third gear deciding that it doesn't want to work anymore. I bought the car knowing this and have not tried it myself, though I was told by the previous owner that when he tried to put the car into third it either wouldn't go in or if he forced it in it would crunch itself out into neutral.

The old car I had, which has since been scrapped as it was in horrible condition, was a 2001 Ford Laser SR2 (KQ). The gearbox from that worked fine and I pulled it out before scrapping the car. Both cars are a 5-speed manual 2.0L.

The question is; Will the gearbox from the Ford fit straight into the Mazda?

If so, awesome! If not, does anyone happen to know what gearbox would fit that I could swap into it, or if the original gearbox is fixable?

Cheers everyone!
AKDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links