View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Say what????
The job of any fuel pressure reg is to maintain pre-determined pressure at the injectors. It is designed to alter this pressure depending on the vacuum/boost in accordance with the duty cycle of the injectors. An FPR is a tuning device and needs to be taken in context.
If you install a larger fuel pump then the FPR will return the extra volume and pressure back to the tank (you won't notice any change). If you turn on the headlights and reduce the amount of current to drive the fuel pump then guess what... The FPR compensates and returns less pressure back to the tank.

The only difference between the standard FPR and an after market one is that an after market FPR you get to set the baseline pressure, if you run a little rich then you can iron out some flat spots without actually fixing the real problem.

NB. An FPR is not an electrical device. The headlight thing only refers to the performance of associated electrical components

Anyway I guess I don't agree with Doug but that's OK this is a place for people to express their views. My first action would be to look back to the changes made previously and get them right before forging ahead.