View Single Post
Old 28-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Assiduous

Car: 323 Astina BA 1.8L
'96 BA engine hesitation/stuttering

Greetings,

Looking to tap the forum wisdom for explanations on some subtle hiccups that have stumped both the local mazda service centre and another local service centre. Firstly, when the car is cold, immediately on taking to the road - usually straight after changing into 2nd gear, the car loses power sharply, literally hesitating/stuttering down the road due to spurts of acceleration before settling down. Reliably occurs and takes about 5 seconds to settle down. Once warmed up this does not recur until the next time I drive it when cold. I've noticed it tends not to happen after battery has just been fully charged and reconnected (yes I apply Vaseline and ensure clean terminals & solid connection) but can happen the day after (as it did this week - batt volts were ok).

2nd issue is when the car has been driven for an extended period, particularly in summer or on a hot day, the car hesitates and stutters off the line. This thread sounds very similar. http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21097
I have checked my old sparks and noted the brown discoloration spoken about, the apparent solution here was to change out ignition leads. A difference in my case is that under normal use which is 20-25km commutes, this problem does not present at all.

Keen to get your ideas & thoughts as to what is worth checking & changing out, cheers.
Assiduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links