View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
First Impressions:
With the car aligned back to a stockish sort of setup it's immediately apparent that the Coilovers have transformed the handling. The car still has a tendancy to understeer but there's a lot more "snap oversteer" and with enough lateral load it's possible to get oversteer mid corner under power. I'm not looking forward to the first quick drive in the wet becuase it will be a very loose car to drive with that much roll stiffness.

I am yet to start tweaking pre-load on the springs and other things which will affect the ride/handling balance.

At the moment it's too stiff, but the 4 positions on the dampers do make a differnce, enough to balance out things a bit. However it's still too stiff. Tein Australia tends to set up their gear here with at most 5kg springs on the front and these are 7kg. I'll probably clone the rates they use on the Mazda3 or 3 door Civics down the track.

The other thing is that at low speeds coilovers are noisy, they transmit all the noise directly into the cabin thanks to not having any form of rubber mounting isolation. Plus there's a but of spring clash with the pre-load I'm running at the front.

As for legality, depending on the interpretation of the rules these are very easy to engineer "legal", they have dump stops, keep the spring trapped and will do so even at the lowest legal ride height.

Helper springs will keep the spring retained under all conditions which means it's even more likely to be legal. (however the engineer should only assess setups from Legal height up).

As Stinky already had non-stock suspension it's possible the nuts were changed way back when.

The ABS Brackets will have to be sorted out. I think I already have a solution just have to knocke one up and test it out.

A.