Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude View Post
all for what is essentially cosmetic reasons.
I plan on tracking the car next year, so what better way to be able to fit some wider tyres?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #22
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
you don't need to go wider than 205s on the rears on a 1100kg fwd car.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #23
marcs_sp20

Its the thought that counts

Still wanna do that meetup next weekend?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #24
A.E

Car: SP20 2002 yellow
Lol I think the man has his mind made up he wants to go to extremes on his suspension. Lol

Rupe - keeping my pockets empty since 2010 lol
A.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #25
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.E View Post
Lol I think the man has his mind made up he wants to go to extremes on his suspension. Lol
Yes he does

But a stock Corrolla NON sportivo with original tyres will still run rings around it.

Massive rims wider tyres dont' always mean a quicker car. Think of the rear end with even 9inch wide with 245's even it wil lturn like a dragster LOL. Or a Capri/Torana with 11inchs under it's gaurds. - oh No it won't rear end aint' powered - It will Turn like one of them little street sweeper things they drive at night on the foot path.

As Said by Cosmo- ALL COSMETIC. If done so - I say Don't forget to go all out with MASSIVE FLARES. Because nothing shows off Big rims like Big Group C style flares.

PS It's nothing personal. It's Just too Easy to make Fun of. Little cars with massive rubber that turn like toys on carpet. It's Just funny.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #26
jakez88

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 SP20
^^i concur to this. it just doesnt seem like a good idea at all to fit wider rims. the car weighs nothing, makes very little power and is a fwd. unless you are wanting to turbo the car or make something decent with the power of the car would you really need the tyres and or wider rims. i thought i could fit a 17x9 +15 on standard suspension compnents and i probably be able to if i really tried but theres no point.
jakez88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #27
marcs_sp20

I didnt say anything about using this link kit with stock struts/springs, this would only work with coilovers.

I for one dont see why this wouldnt work well, wider tyre on the rear could help with stability, and combined with a rear sway bar, it'd be nice and flat on corners.

18x8 & 18x8.5 or 9 would give it a nice stance...
Old 12-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #28
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
I didnt say anything about using this link kit with stock struts/springs, this would only work with coilovers.
can you explain this one to me?

i don't see how making the lateral links 50mm shorter and making custom camber tops (maybe 20mm maximum inwards movement) is gonna be benefitual you are handling? the struts will still be pointing inwards at the bottom.

all i can see with this in a increase in wheel with and a decrease in suspension/handling charactristics.

unless i missed something in that thread you linked us to. but they hadn't even figured it out yet also.

i link the megan ones as the remove about 15-20mm, which seems like about the most you should be removing.

all i see with 50mm being removed, is the rear wheel track being alot smaller than the front wheel track, and this will induce understeer. understeer = slow cornering. defeats purpose...
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #29
marcs_sp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
can you explain this one to me?
you'd basically be limited by how wide of a rim you wanna go with, seeing that a normal coilover setup is a lot smaller diameter wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
i don't see how making the lateral links 50mm shorter and making custom camber tops (maybe 20mm maximum inwards movement) is gonna be benefitual you are handling? the struts will still be pointing inwards at the bottom.

all i can see with this in a increase in wheel with and a decrease in suspension/handling charactristics.

unless i missed something in that thread you linked us to. but they hadn't even figured it out yet also.

i link the megan ones as the remove about 15-20mm, which seems like about the most you should be removing.

all i see with 50mm being removed, is the rear wheel track being alot smaller than the front wheel track, and this will induce understeer. understeer = slow cornering. defeats purpose...
Considering the car currently has plenty of Oversteer, this would hopefully level it out
Old 12-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #30
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post

Considering the car currently has plenty of Oversteer, this would hopefully level it out
what kind of oversteer does your car have to be problem that you need bigger rear tyres?

because I highly doubt you are using all the rubber you can.
Just for notice the Honda EG or EK that took out last years Fastest FWD at world time attack. Did it all on I thinik it was 15 or 16 maybe 17inch rims no wider then 8inchs. I'm pretty sure it was only like 7inch wide It was light weight. had a 2.4L honda motor and driven by a top driver. Ha no reason or issues to get rubber on to it. In fact the drive said compared to the S2000 I was with it was all suspension work difference. In that one car had the tyres working better then the other.

Wider tyres on a FWD car will not help you corner anyway or form especially if you have if stagger to the front with narrower rims. The back end will lead the front and you won't be able to worry about under steer or oversteer it just won't turn.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #31
swift jimmy

Car: Was '01 SP20 with FS-ZE
after having a good old read of this thread i can see the advantages of this kit.

1) people that want to track there car.

2) people wanting more room for tyre/rim inside the guard.. (IE rim offset issues)

3) changing from daily rims to wider sticker tyres for track days

but for more grip in corning and overall daily driving probably better of spending more $$$ on the tyres you are putting on your car.. wack in 2-3 degrees more chamber (if your that keen )and problem solved
swift jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #32
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
I gather this thread died a couple of weeks ago.

Still, heres my 2c. I agree with Rod & Ryan, its the rear of an FWD car. There wont be any improvement to performance on the track, more likely the opposite.

You'd be better off running 8-8.5" all round (if you can fit them) with semi-slicks (something like the KU36 or the 595 RS-R) and decent coilovers. Put the semi's on separate rims, 17x8.5 lightweights and use them for the track. You'll end up paying less for daily tyres and have a better all rounder for track days.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote