Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #61
pyromaniac11

Car: 1997 Mazda 323 BA Hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildough View Post
Now for the fun times, installing them, also replace all speaker wires while you are there.
I believe you are mistaken sir...
The fun times being when you get to tune the newly installed boomboom system

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildough
As my crossovers had 5 settings for the tweeters and 4 midrange presence settings I mounted my crossovers under my seats so I could get to them, and yes in my case the settings do make a large difference but with my rears splits which have only the same 3 settings as yours all it does is increase or decrease the amount of treble.

I cant remember what size cable I used but from memory it was massive overkill.
I think i ran 12 or 16 gauge.. Which definitely isnt overkill :|

Spkykey are you running these off your amp that you already have, or are you buying another one?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #62
Spykey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mazda 323 SP20 TURBO
I already got a massive cadence 1500 RMS monoblock for my Sub and a 5 shannel AMP for my speakers..
I reckon the 5 channel is enough the the speakers, as it got:
4x100WRMS + 1x300WRMS

When my speakers are just 75 RMS.

haha pyromaniac11, i just installed the kick 6x9 at the back running straight from the headunit, its already a massive difference, cant wait till next week to install the front door speakers..

How about for tuning? anyone ever used an oscilloscope to tune the amps?
Spykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #63
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
Use your earscopes, they can be very accurate and will let you tune them to your preference
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #64
Spykey
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Use your earscopes, they can be very accurate and will let you tune them to your preference
earscopes haha :P i like this one

well theoretically they say that is your signal is not a pure sine wave, it reduces the life of your speaker

Well i might borrow an oscilloscope just to have some fun lol

Well i got the rear speakers installed today, i had to put the speakers under the metal thingy because if i put it on top as it was originally, the plastic cover that sit on top of the rear speakers does sit properly as the speakers are too high.

Got some metal screws from bunning and i screw then for the bottom.

Last edited by Spykey; 04-11-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #65
pyromaniac11

Hahaha this system is going to blow your face off...
What speakers where you running off your 5 channel amp?? seems like an overkill of an amp if you were running speakers worse than what you just bought (your new ones are great, im talking about the fact that you're obviously upgrading, and not downgrading)...
Just to check, the amp puts out 100wRMS at 4ohms yes?

Last edited by pyromaniac11; 04-11-2011 at 08:04 PM.
pyromaniac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #66
Spykey
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromaniac11 View Post
Hahaha this system is going to blow your face off...
What speakers where you running off your 5 channel amp?? seems like an overkill of an amp if you were running speakers worse than what you just bought (your new ones are great, im talking about the fact that you're obviously upgrading, and not downgrading)...
Just to check, the amp puts out 100wRMS at 4ohms yes?
Yes mate well i was not using it, it was just sitting in the boot as display haha..

It is 100 RMS at 4Ohm..

4 Ohm Power: 100 Watts RMS x 4ch
2 Ohm Power: 150 Watts RMS x 4ch
4 Ohm Mono: 300 Watts RMS x 1ch
2 Ohm Mono: 500 Watts RMS x 1ch

Even my Sub and my monoblock amp overkills..

15" Alpine Type R - 750 RMS.

Cadence Monoblock - 1500 RMS

i think i use only 10% of their power lol.

Last edited by Spykey; 04-11-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #67
pyromaniac11

haha impressive bro. If you were near bayside/brisbane you'd have to come round and give me a blast

Uhhhmmmmmmm ... any progress on the bulk order people?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #68
phildough
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromaniac11 View Post
haha impressive bro. If you were near bayside/brisbane you'd have to come round and give me a blast

Uhhhmmmmmmm ... any progress on the bulk order people?
As far as the bulk order goes we will need numbers and how much of you car do you want to do.Eg just the doors or boot + firewall etc. I gather you need about 2 full sheets per door.
Your more than welcome to check out my sound system next time we have a meet and as there are a few members who are in the Brisbane Bayside area there will be a few more meets I would say.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #69
pyromaniac11

Maybe at the dyno day? Just for a friendly competition while some of us wait :P

Well I need full boot, firewall, and two back doors. I have already done my front two doors. That was $120 of real dynomat ;(
My poor wallet...

Do you want to set up a proper WTB: bulk order page on the classifieds?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #70
phildough
Banned

My stereo isn't set up for power as my amps are only 45W RMS@0.08%THD (the real true RMS not any faked over corrected levels that a lot of manufacturers claim)(logitech measures their amps @ 10%THD) I have tuned it to sound great at low volumes, but if I adjust the LP filter on the headunit I can crank it as far as I like until my ears bleed.
I have a pure highway digital radio if you want to see that in action as well.
ATM its you, me and Ryan that are keen for the soundproofing so I will see what prices
I can get and we can have a bayside sound proofing day!!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #71
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
I'd prefer to buy branded stuff. Doesn't have to be dynamat. I'll need 16 or so sheets for my car. This will be after the panelbeating is done though. Happy to buy it and keep it until finished but i suspect ill be waiting and saving a while after Christmas for $6000, or about 15 weeks of savings sigh.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #72
pyromaniac11

Quote:
My stereo isn't set up for power as my amps are only 45W RMS@0.08%THD (the real true RMS not any faked over corrected levels that a lot of manufacturers claim)(logitech measures their amps @ 10%THD) I have tuned it to sound great at low volumes, but if I adjust the LP filter on the headunit I can crank it as far as I like until my ears bleed.
I have a pure highway digital radio if you want to see that in action as well.
ATM its you, me and Ryan that are keen for the soundproofing so I will see what prices
I can get and we can have a bayside sound proofing day!!
Haha, bayside is going to be sooo quiet after we install this stuff. Won't be sound leaking out from anywhere A sound proofing day is a great idea, haha.
Yeh i have the XD400/4.. which is 1% at 60W 12.5v ... that's pretty average haha. :| Probably don't have it cranked to that though, seeing as my speakers are 50w RMS, so my guess is .5% THD at 45W RMS? JL is known for under-specifying their gear. Dunno if they would for THD though. Guh, sound is so complicated.
I think i'll stick to studying the human body lol, heaps more simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
I'd prefer to buy branded stuff. Doesn't have to be dynamat. I'll need 16 or so sheets for my car. This will be after the panelbeating is done though. Happy to buy it and keep it until finished but i suspect ill be waiting and saving a while after Christmas for $6000, or about 15 weeks of savings sigh.
So you don't want the Jaycar roll or something? Or you don't want the Clark Rubber alternative?

Im okay with any product as long as its thick and at a good price. Dynamat is great, but you can tell you're paying for a brand :|

EDIT:
Some preliminary research shows genuine dynamat from eBay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FREE-ROLL...ht_2315wt_1141

9 pack, 36sq ft for $210 delivered.
Thats 18 sheets for $420 delivered. I contacted about cheaper combined shipping, and its $6 off each carton if we buy 2-7 packs. If we buy 8 packs we get $20 off a pack. So its actually $406 for 2 packs/18 sheets. Or $1520 for 8 packs/72 sheets which is $21.10 a sheet (but must by in packs of 9)

I rang autobarn, and we can get the 18 sheet megapack dynamat for $500 which is what he calls "street price"? RRP $600 or something. Not all that flash.

Jaycar's stuff is a replacement of their old tar-based sound proofing which they sold to compete with dynamat. It's 1.5mm thick and is butyl based. It's lighter than their other stuff, and i have a feeling its to compete with Dynamat's new "light" sound proofing range...? Can be viewed here.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...7&form=KEYWORD
Lenny from capalaba offered discounted prices for 20+, 30+ or 40+ roll purchases. 1 roll is 33cm x 90cm (slightly longer than dynamat, but slightly less width).
If we bought 20 sheets, it would be $21.33 a sheet
If we bought 30 sheets, it would be $20 a sheet
If we bought 40+ sheets, it would be $18.50 a sheet
Jaycar's price doesnt drop any lower after 40 sheets, so having only 3 people on the bulk order actually isn't a bad idea.

I think I need about 15-20 sheets myself (trunk, doors, rear seats, firewall)...

If we each bought an 18 pack of Jaycar sound proofing, it would be $333 each.
If we each bought an 18 pack of dynamat from eBay, it would be $406 each.

Anyone got a cheaper/better wholesaler haha? I don't really have good connections in car audio

Last edited by pyromaniac11; 05-11-2011 at 06:07 PM.
pyromaniac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #73
Clean_Cookie

Nice ground work. Been talkin with Phil today. Fat mat is looking promising. Way cheaper and seems used by pros everywhere. For 100square feet its 200 for their super thick stuff and 150 for dynamat extreme equivalent. The prices included shipping to the US so compared to dynamat its a fair whack cheaper. Those were usd prices BTW. I'd put the thick stuff on the floors and the thinner stuff ib the doors. They also sell a whole range of stuff like dynamat...

Assuming sea shipping is less than 200 it would work out cheaper than the above options.

Edit, the price for the extreme equivalent is actually 130 shipped us.

Last edited by Clean_Cookie; 05-11-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Clean_Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #74
phildough
Banned

This is looking better by the post!!

Just a thought before sound proofing doors, clean and grease your window runners before doing it so you don't have to pull door apart again.
I dont think I will be going crazy and doing the whole car, maybe just the doors and boot, But if we can get it as cheap as you think I might just do the rest of the car in thin stuff.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #75
pyromaniac11

Quote:
This is looking better by the post!!

Just a thought before sound proofing doors, clean and grease your window runners before doing it so you don't have to pull door apart again.
I dont think I will be going crazy and doing the whole car, maybe just the doors and boot, But if we can get it as cheap as you think I might just do the rest of the car in thin stuff.
I failed to complete this necessary step, and am paying for it now. My windows have all broken their grommet/runner thingies, and wobble around like crazy. On the highway, my drivers side front window sucks air in like a hoover 1000W vacuum. It's beyond rediculous and loud...but I have dynamat all over the fron to doors! haha, so i don't think I have a chance at fixing these windows now, without pulling off the dynamat (which i don't think is possible/good idea)

But hells yeah to your fat mat options! Loving the 1.00+ AUD to USD ratio atm
Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #76
Spykey
AstinaGT Regular

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SOUND-DEA...ht_5716wt_1185

how about this one? its in australia itself..

Yeah for my amp, am pretty sure it outputs the rated power, as i read everywhere online, they said that these amp outputs their rated power. I dont have a Watt-meter to measure the current drawn, i could calculate it.. Also its massive in size, i reckon it will be able to produce some massive power as well..
Old 05-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #77
pyromaniac11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykey View Post
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SOUND-DEA...ht_5716wt_1185

how about this one? its in australia itself..
Its only 40sq ft for $200 ... cheaper to go the US option (genuine product for less cost). Dyanamat was 36sq ft for $210, so you'd have to consider quality :|
Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #78
Clean_Cookie

Sent an email to fat mat. Will research international shipping from the states. I'm guessing it'll be close to 200 or less.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #79
Clean_Cookie

Search Google...fat mat vs dynamat... Raamat seems the one of a limited few without complaints...
Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #80
Spykey
AstinaGT Regular

haha or i can just get bridgestone rubber carpet
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-RUBBE...ht_1066wt_1185