Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 13-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
sirex

brake problem - abs?

Hi folks

Over the last week I have been experiencing a weird brake problem in the BA and would love some insight into it.

Okay, i've had this probably about 4 times within the week. When I am driving out of a driveway and stop at the end to check if it is safe to proceed, I often stop with the front wheels in the gutter and the rear still on the drive. So the problem is, when the wheels leave the drive, hit the gutter and stop I can hear a whinning and feel a pulsing in the brake pedal. Now, this feels like the abs kicking in, it's that same kind of movement in the pedal and same abs noise you get. But why, I'm not applying the brakes hard or not traveling fast (absolute maximum 20k!).

So thinking, there's an abs problem late the other night driving down my street I decided to stand on the anchors at 50k, abs kicked in and i stoped as normal. however, I heard about squeal of tyres, so repeated this process again and heard the same noise. Not sure if the wheels were momentarily locking up or if it was just because it was a real cold night.

Any insight into this would be appreciated. I don't know if I have a potential problem or if I am really just imagining it. My initial instinct was low brake fluid, so I checked this and it seemed fine - however it is two years old so maybe should be blead? What else could the problem be, master cyclinder/pads/discs?

The stopping distance is still fine and there is no brake inbalance. Ironically the first time I noticed it was last friday as I was leaving the testing station where the car flew through its half yearly warrant. They put her on one of those rolling roads said the brakes were sweet.

cheers

Matt

1993 V6 Lantis
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #2
sirex

just done a search. Is it possible that this will be those pins causing the calipers to slide?

1993 V6 Lantis
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
DrSilver

Car: Astra Sri T
Send a message via MSN to DrSilver
clean your ABS sensors mate! also, flush your brake fluid and check your brake pads(dedust and reline them if necessary)
DrSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
First I'd check for error codes. That may indicate what the problem is.
Old 13-05-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
You'll need a multimeter or test light and I can forward the procedure and codes, PM if req'd.
Old 14-05-2005, 08:16 AM   #6
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
i'd pull the fuse, and repeat said issues

ABS won't kick on, so be careful when you do it

then try again with the ABS connected