Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
ElvenMishi

Car: Astina
Bp turbo done. What's the next level?

Hi Guys,

I need some advice to get my set up to the next level.

I have a stock BP on a VJ20 turbo boosting at 12psi. It's on a stand alone Megasquirt 1 ECU. I got it tuned to 180-190whp without turbo lag. I use it for daily driving, autocros, touge and drag during weekends.

If my power goal is 240-250 whp, what are my options?

Thanks,
ElvenMishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
ElvenMishi

To make it simple, how can i get a quartermile time of 14 secs or less with a wide torque curve so i can continue to race it for drag and autocross?

Last edited by ElvenMishi; 11-12-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
More info would be handy! What car? FWD or 4WD? That's a pretty ordinary turbo with limited boost/power available!

I'd be very concerned with gearbox @ this stage. This is your weak link with the projected power output you desire............have you a FMIC? increase the capacity here then, look @ injectors/larger turbo/increase boost I can see you experimenting til' you get it right due to the variables your expecting from one build, good luck!

Then there's the brakes/suspension mods to consider.......

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
ElvenMishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
More info would be handy! What car? FWD or 4WD? That's a pretty ordinary turbo with limited boost/power available!

I'd be very concerned with gearbox @ this stage. This is your weak link with the projected power output you desire............have you a FMIC? increase the capacity here then, look @ injectors/larger turbo/increase boost I can see you experimenting til' you get it right due to the variables your expecting from one build, good luck!

Then there's the brakes/suspension mods to consider.......

My astina has a FMIC from a subaru, 440cc injectors, large rotors front and rear.
The VJ23 seems very hard to comeby. Do you have any turbo in mind that's at the maximum volumetric effeciency limit of the BP? I value instant engine response but would like to improve top end power as a second priority.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenMishi View Post
My astina has a FMIC from a subaru, 440cc injectors, large rotors front and rear.
The VJ23 seems very hard to comeby. Do you have any turbo in mind that's at the maximum volumetric effeciency limit of the BP? I value instant engine response but would like to improve top end power as a second priority.
a subaru vf10/8/12 turbo would work wonders..

here is a link for u to read thru

http://fordlaser.com/forum/viewtopic...7&hilit=hybrid

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Ok. Sounds like your brakes are sorted. Essentially, you have GTR injectors so again, that's sorted

Yes the GTR turbo is very hard to find but you can easily get a tried & true Garrett equivalent such as a GT2860RS. Or go better. There's more efficient Garrett's these days but the disco potato is a very good start! Most of these orig' GTR turbos are kept with engines as part of the powerplant. I will prolly sell mine as a package with my GTR engine.

Your BP is stock. Your limitation here is weak rods. If you run something as tuff as a VJ23, your over your limit right here! What box are you running? This is by far your immediate other limitation! Especially 3rd gear. Have you considered par? Over 200whp is too much imho for the engine & box in stock form.

What size is the FMIC? Most Soobs are TM.

Missed Matts post above. These are worth considering op

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 11-12-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
up the compression ratio. quicker engine response, more power/torque all rev range. turbo spools up quicker and at lower rpm.

all other mods listed above will decrease response while adding power.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Just take note Fellas he's in the Philippines getting certain parts will be difficult.

IMO- Know Cebu and Manila well enough.

Move to a Water to air - intercooler set up if you can. And set up a larger exchanger for the water and have the fan almost constant on.

Other then that pushing it harder with out a stronger box and stronger bottom end - something will let go.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
ElvenMishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
Ok. Sounds like your brakes are sorted. Essentially, you have GTR injectors so again, that's sorted

Yes the GTR turbo is very hard to find but you can easily get a tried & true Garrett equivalent such as a GT2860RS. Or go better. There's more efficient Garrett's these days but the disco potato is a very good start! Most of these orig' GTR turbos are kept with engines as part of the powerplant. I will prolly sell mine as a package with my GTR engine.

Your BP is stock. Your limitation here is weak rods. If you run something as tuff as a VJ23, your over your limit right here! What box are you running? This is by far your immediate other limitation! Especially 3rd gear. Have you considered par? Over 200whp is too much imho for the engine & box in stock form.

What size is the FMIC? Most Soobs are TM.

Missed Matts post above. These are worth considering op
Thanks for the inputs. I'll review it as it looks interesting.

I'm running on a stand alone Megasquirt box. Advance timing and afr is notch before maximum the limit. Also, i'm using a 10x22 inch FMIC.

Do you have any links i can read on for PAR? Also, what's the maximum boost i can get on the garret assuming i change my internals to forge?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
ElvenMishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhog View Post
Just take note Fellas he's in the Philippines getting certain parts will be difficult.

IMO- Know Cebu and Manila well enough.

Move to a Water to air - intercooler set up if you can. And set up a larger exchanger for the water and have the fan almost constant on.

Other then that pushing it harder with out a stronger box and stronger bottom end - something will let go.
I'm on air to air now. Your suggestion will help especially on touges. what's the expected hp gain if i change to water to air?
Old 12-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
ElvenMishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
up the compression ratio. quicker engine response, more power/torque all rev range. turbo spools up quicker and at lower rpm.

all other mods listed above will decrease response while adding power.
I like this concept. I'm currently on stock bp pistons. Do you have any specific compression ratio and piston size that's safe with a 12 psi boost? Also, do i need to change any other parts to support the compression?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Do you have any links i can read on for PAR? Also, what's the maximum boost i can get on the garret assuming i change my internals to forge?
A few other guyz on here would know about the par sets. I have never delved deeply into these as they are extremely expensive!

Concerning boost limits of these small bodied turbos, have a look over on the Garrett websites but, off top of my head, the GT20 series should run up to 20psi but it really depends on the turbine housing A/R too. Smaller housings will get hotter & performance be hindered up top end of their powerband.

Turbos run hotter, becoming less efficient up in these higher boost ranges, also pushing pistons to their upper limits (greater risk of detonation, esp' if you raise your compression) Moderation

Old 12-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #13
buntaworks

Car: mazda 323f
Quote:
I like this concept. I'm currently on stock bp pistons. Do you have any specific compression ratio and piston size that's safe with a 12 psi boost? Also, do i need to change any other parts to support the compression?
Have you consulted the guys from mazdatech phils?
buntaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #14
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntaworks View Post
Have you consulted the guys from mazdatech phils?
You do realise his question is from 2013?

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote