Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 05-04-2005, 07:48 AM   #61
Astina GianT

Why did the copper defect the old setup? also 137kw out of stock GTX engine you sure?
Astina GianT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #62
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Victorian laws suck. to get the car engineered and therefore legal in vic, i had to go back to the standard turbo and manifold to pass emissions. if i'd kept the big turbo, i would have had to have a $3.5K emissions test...
But it got defected for too low, too loud, ecu, turbo, bov etc etc

the handling of the car is no different. but it's a lot more fun with the smaller turbo as a daily driver, as the power of the car is delivered a lot lower in the rev range - it's not all top-end as it was.

and 140kw atw is quite achievable from a relatively stock GTX engine - there's plenty of people on the boards making around that with standard GTX engines

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Last edited by Rupewrecht; 05-04-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:19 AM   #63
Astina GianT

Bumer Rupewrecht, now I know why you have the picture of the cop car in the driverside mirror! But it's interesting what you said about the car being alot more fun with the smaller turbo as a daily driver, as the power of the car is delivered a lot lower in the rev range, haven't thought about that. I am lead to believe that turbos tend to bring the power on in the mid to high rev range while supercharging in the low revs, with your situation why is there such a difference with the smaller turbo i.e. it being more responsive? how would you theoretically fix that problem with the bigger turbo scenerio? Programable ECU?
Old 06-04-2005, 12:59 AM   #64
Astina GianT

Let's play hypothetical here and everyone just have ago, let's pretend you had both 1.8L and 2.0L versions of the Mazda 323BA Astina 5dr Hatch's sitting in you garage. Your restricted to ~$10 000 and wanted to do a engine swap + further engine performance enhancements E.g bigger turbo, port & polishing maybe reconditioning depends on you, but must relate to engine performance, to ONE car only and further more you could only choose the KLZE(Jap Spec) engine for the 2.0L astina or the GTX for the 1.8L. Who of you would choose to mod the 1.8L or the 2.0L and WHY and what would you modify if you could?

Last edited by Astina GianT; 06-04-2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:04 AM   #65
Astina GianT

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question so please bear with us, I read that the 2.5L KL-ZE engine only ever came in Automatic Transmission equipped models of the Eunos 800 (Mazda 626 & MX-6) - 1998+, Only in Japan. Also rare find but was also available on J-Spec, MX-6's with A Manual Transmission. So say if you could only find the engine from the auto transmission equiped models and wanted to put this engine into your manual transmission car would there be problems and how much would it cost you?
Old 06-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #66
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Astina GianT, you are a person with many Questions. I will try to answer some.
Its irrelevant as to whether the engine came out of an auto or manual equipped car as the mounting of the fly is where your box comes into play and both ATX and MTX will accomodate this. The choice of v6 or I4 comes down to what you wish to do and how far you want to take your modification process to go ($$$ dependant).
If you want an NA screamer you will find the v6 is the choice (not that boosting the V is out of the Q its just a lot more mucking around and custom work $$) There are a few turbo'd mx6s and Probes in the USA as well as SC versions but a lot of them have issues with the un availability of solid HLAs and springs/ valves dropping, there is however a lot of research going on in the probetalk site to combat this problem at present. There is also a lack of aftermarket support for these engines and most of the research is done by drivers who are playing the guinea pigs with their own engines in the Quest for the bulletproof engine at the risk of costing themselves a busted engine. And with the supply vs demand stakes over there they are putting up with excessive waits on parts as the suppliers are "mostly" working out of their garage. I am not telling you that the v6 is not an opyion for modifying nor am I claiming that its to be avoided but be aware that the v6 industry is still green. I for one know that Austrack Motorsports (who deal with Chev, Ford and Holden) built a replica VX Commodore using a RWD twin turbo'd KL v6 and managed to extract 595 kw on 1.9 bar. So the figures are possible as may not be the $$$ required.

Here is a list of parts published that they used:

Standard block with reinforced bores
Standard crankshaft (crack tested, ground and balanced)
Engine bearings throughout are ACL
Eagle H-beam rods (balanced)
forged JE pistons and matching rings (balanced)
Standard heads with extensive porting
Ferra oversized valves (remaining valvetrain custom designed by Austrack)
Custom grind camshafts (secret)
Custom fabricated Cam Gears
Twin Garret 340hp bb turbos flowing 1.9 bar (welded up wastegates
Custom fabricated 316 stainless exhaust manifold with equal length 1 7/8" primaries
3'' exhaust
Twin external 45mm Turbosmart wastegates with seperate dump
2x Plazaman air-air intercoolers (600mmx600mm cores)= extra pipework but less weight
Custom aluminium radiator which also cools the oil
Electric waterpump
Custom Intake Manifold using twin 65mm Throttle Bodies (inside 6 bell-mouthed trumpets feed air to the port matched heads)
Twin Turbomaster BOVs just before TB
Race Grade Silicone Hoses
Motec M800 ECU
Ignition= original mazda multi-coil
Twin Bosch 600hp Motorsport fuel pumps
6x 1400cc injectors
2x RRFPR

and thats about the limit of the engine

You can go ahead and guess what that one has cost to build
Remember that its no longer a transverse engine

And they managed to break 3 $45'000 boxes with that

Well thats the world of the v6
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:14 AM   #67
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astina GianT
Bumer Rupewrecht, now I know why you have the picture of the cop car in the driverside mirror! But it's interesting what you said about the car being alot more fun with the smaller turbo as a daily driver, as the power of the car is delivered a lot lower in the rev range, haven't thought about that. I am lead to believe that turbos tend to bring the power on in the mid to high rev range while supercharging in the low revs, with your situation why is there such a difference with the smaller turbo i.e. it being more responsive? how would you theoretically fix that problem with the bigger turbo scenerio? Programable ECU?
i have a programmable ecu that was used with both big and small turbo setups, and thats not a factor.

It's purely the size of the turbo. The bigger it is, the longer it takes to spool up. the GTX is (roughly) the size of my fist, whereas the T03/4 was about 3 times the size, and really designed for a much larger engine (3.0L+)

With the smaller size and shorter spoolup time, it means the power is delivered earlier. Big turbo takes more exhaust gasses spinning it before it starts to make power, hence why it come in later in the rev range.

but having said that, length and size of piping also plays a factor in power delivery

and while the GTX turbo spools quicker, it also runs out of puff at the top of the rev range. and the T03/4 wouldn't be making power until 3500->4000 rpm, but would pull very VERY strongly to 8000 rpm

1.8T vs V6NA: it'd depend what i'd bought. if i'd bought a V6, i would have gone the 2.5 KLZE NA route. presented with the choice, i'm not sure!

but as a daily drive i think i'd prefer the turbo, as it's not as highly stressed all the time, as the turbo is more of an on-demand type of power. and i love the sound of turbo flutter and a blow off valve. it's the ricer in me

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Last edited by Rupewrecht; 06-04-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:54 PM   #68
Astina GianT

Thanks guys, this and other info I've got helps heaps, sure learning alot in a very short time, maybe I'll be able post my ride and mods on this site in the future.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:46 AM   #69
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
1400CC injectors FARK ME,

Maxda Planned a TT KL for the Mazda 6 but it never got off the ground I believe. I assume they went the four route.

Far as I know no K series 6 came turbo or super charged. Any one thinkg different?

Giant I have sent you a PM containng a Article re modifiing. I found it interesting
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #70
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy
Far as I know no K series 6 came turbo or super charged. Any one thinkg different?
KJ is supercharged, It's part of the Miller cycle thingo
Old 07-04-2005, 06:46 PM   #71
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude
KJ is supercharged, It's part of the Miller cycle thingo
The KJ-ZEM is a beasty it came with around 163kw@5500rpm (give or take)

The Austrack engine now lives in an old school Gemini wagon and they have pumped it up to the magic ton 1000hp=746kw so who knows what weird **** they've now done to that. Its too scary to think about
Old 07-04-2005, 07:52 PM   #72
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht
the GTX is (roughly) the size of my fist, whereas the T03/4 was about 3 times the size
and dan only has little hands too...
Old 29-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #73
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
Sixes
Mazda, though few people acknowledge it, also make a good selection of strong hi-performance six cylinder engines - and they're all compact size V6s.

The most scorching motor of the group is the KJ-ZEM - Mazda's exclusive Miller-Cycle engine. Displacing only 2.2 litres, this DOHC engine uses a screw-type supercharger and dual air-to-air intercoolers to boost its way to making an impressive 164kW at a laid-back 5500 rpm. It's an ultra smooth engine as well, as it was designed for use in the luxurious Eunos 800 saloon.

The second highest power output of Mazda's six cylinder range - at 149kW - is shared by the 3 litre DOHC JE-ZE, and the high-tuned 2.5 litre DOHC KL-ZE engine. These engines are configured to suit rear and front wheel drive respectively, however the KL-ZE is the more sports oriented engine, with its peak power achieved at 6500 rpm - 500 higher than the JE-ZE. The original JE series engine was released way back in early-mid '80s and used a conventional SOHC head and fuel injected intake system to develop up to 116kW at 5000 rpm - those fairly low peak power revs indicative of the poorer flowing head in comparison to the later DOHC versions. An engine released in various mid-sized cars such as the swoopy MX-6, the FWD J5-DE engine features a DOHC configuration on top of a 9.0:1 compression ratio, 2.5 litre block, and pushes out 211Nm at 3500 rpm with 119kW available at 6000 revs. It's not a hugely common motor, but it is very strong.

Another engine produced with the intention of powering a Eunos (the 500 compact saloon), the front wheel drive KF-ZE 2 litre double over head cam powerplant is good for up to 180Nm at 5500 and 119kW at 6500 revolutions per minute. Once again, smoothness was one of this engine's fortes since it came equipped to the luxo Eunos. The littlest V6 in the Mazda line-up is that fitted to the top-line Eunos 30X sports car. Displacing only 1.8 litres and using a 9.2:1 compression ratio, the K8-ZE engine offers excellent flexibility for its capacity category. It is also good for hitting out up to 157Nm at 4500 revs, and 108kW at a frantic 7000! 'Revy' is a good way to describe these unburstable little sixes.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #74
nimrods86

Car: 94 Astina Hardtop GT V6
i'm new to this site an i must say it's ral kool seein so many people that feel the same way i do, that is, that mazda v6s' kick ass! i've only jus bought one an it's gonna stay.

anyone knows where i can get some kool ****e for it. e.g: kool lookin front lights, rear wings an such.
nimrods86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #75
smalldave86

Mazda 323f

hi i have the mazda 323f 1998 (not the new type) ZXi model....it says in all my documentation that it is the 2.0 V6 engine...but i checked the code on the rear of the cam cover and it says 'K8 1A1' which according to everything i have seen suggests this is the 1.8! can anyone enlighten me or can i go to the insurers and tell them to stuff there 2 litre insurance group? i live in the uk if that makes any difference?? cheers!!
smalldave86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #76
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Look in the owners manual for the location of the engine number, if it starts with KF then It will be a 2 litre. The heads are probably the same or very similar on the K8 and KF.
Old 30-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #77
smalldave86

found a stamping on the TB with KF33, so i guess it must be the 2ltr cheers, sorry for bein stupid lol
smalldave86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #78
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Its not being stupid
The KF uses K8 heads
K8 101 and K8 1A1
Mazda likes to be difficult
Old 21-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #79
Aliano

Car: Mazda eunos
Hi,
I'm new to the Mazda engine swaps, I have just purchased an eunos 500
complete with cooked engine (2.0L) and have also purchased a 2.5 mx6
import engine from Rolin Imports of the KL variety, which should give it some get up and go. I have been asured by Rolins that it will fit straight in. If anyone can give me some info on taking the motor out eg: engine and tranny together, engine by itsself, from under the car or will it come out from the top? I have changed plenty of rear wheel drive car engines and done clutch's on front wheel drive cars but haven't done a complete engine change on one as yet, so any suggestions to make it easier would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Aliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #80
Bob Luben

Car: CX7
Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Luben
Where in Sydney can I buy a set of Extractors and Turbo for a 1996 V6 2.0 L Astina.
Bob Luben is offline   Reply With Quote