Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Bodykits & Exterior

Old 11-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
devilishdesigner

Car: Mazda Astina hardtop, Volvo 122s, Rover P4 Cyclops
BA Hardtop drivers window wind SCREAM

Hi guys,

I know a few topics have been covered on window issues with the BA Astinas but was looking for some confirmation on the likely cause of the most annoying issue with my newly purchased hardtop.

Over 80km/h there is a horrible intermittent wind squeal from the drivers window towards the rear of the top edge.

Now the window goes up and down perfectly so I assume the rollers are all fine (which seems to be the most common complaint about these windows). If I push slightly out on the window the gap opens greatly so the squeal becomes an air rush. Is it likely that the rubbing block that pushes the window into place is the cause of the small seal leak or is it more likely a worn seal? Are either of these parts available? I commute on the freeway daily and the noise is painful.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
the guide at the bottom might need moving out 0.5mm. or check the seals attached to roof and a pillar are completely intact and making contact with glass.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
devilishdesigner

The seal seems nice and soft and complete, the windowseems to go as high as the rubber at the front corner is designed to allow, but on a windy stretch of road last night you could actually hear and feel the rear corner of the window being sucked away from the car. How do I get to this adjuster you mention?
Old 12-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
take the inner door card off.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
devilishdesigner

Thanks, got it sorted today. I'm not used to these modern cars (aside from this and the van I've just gotten rid of the newest car I've owned was built in 1976) so took me a few minutes to work out the location of all the screws and clips, but was pretty straight forward.

Rear stop was at the lower most adjustment so I upped that a bit, tried closing and the front edge of the window started collecting the window strip, so tweaked the front stop down a touch and now all good. Window sits at the same height as every other one so no more wind scream.

Treated the car to a little birthday while I was at it. Radiator flush, new interior light globe, new steering wheel (secondhand one from a 626 that isn't sun rotten), new back bumper (discovered the old one was patched and poorly resprayed, found a replacement at the wrecker in the same colour in excellent condition), pretty happy now